Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Creche / child care recommendations in Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

That time of year again, I'm planning a ski trip for our small group including my 2 year old son. Last couple of trips we've used ski beat who have excellent childcare with UK staff all CRB checked etc

We want to go to Les Gets but skibeat don't operate there so we're looking for other tour ops, we've looked at a couple of the family friendly ones and they look very good if a little pricey. So we're considering looking at booking a holiday and creche / childcare seperately and wondered if anyone could recommend a good creche in Les Gets (must be English speaking, English staffed even better).

Cheers

Al
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.skifamille.co.uk/ snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The_Mac_Daddy, either ski famille or ski esprit. If I was to choose I would go with skifamille and ask the owner chris thompson for a snowhead discount, especially if it is an low season break
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski famille, excellent and will sort you out. My children have always really enjoyed themselves. The nannies are great and Les Gets is a great village. Just booking Reberty with them today.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lightningdan, watch out for the low ceilings in the top floor rooms
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chrisb, I read Fasteddies report, and took that on board with your comments. That said with skiing holidays the bed rooms are really just sleep and storage, not like a "summer holiday" where you might spend more time in room. Also I know from previous trips that the living area is where we will spend the bulk of the time. I did not want the room on the same floor as living area, just incase we get unlucky with our fellow guests, and have people like we had last year in Les Gets braying half wits. I have used ski famille before, they really are excellent and it seemed a small compromise to have a low ceiling. I looked at DIY, but with 2 small children it becomes very hard, especially with TO's "estate agent" speak for near piste etc. I have Twitter relationship with Chris Thompson, so all the time I can afford a ski holiday and have young children they are going to be first on my list. I went to Mottaret earlier this year, loved the skiing , so looking forward to more of the same skiing, but with the knowledge that the children are fine, and we can chose to come back early or chance skiing over to the other valleys with out looking at my watch every 5 minutes.

On my first ski trip, arranged by someone with an IQ of about 70 , I spent the first 5 minutes in my "apartment " looking for the bedroom, and was quite suprised, given the cost, that it did not have one. So A low ceiling should be OK.

Have you got a trip planned?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The _MAC_DADDY Skifamille are only down the road, pop in and see them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've booked to go with Ski Famille this season based on the recommendations of two families that we know who have been with them. We're actually going with one of those families who went last year and loved it so much they're doing exactly the same holiday again - same chalet, same room! Happy They were very pleased with the childcare arrangements for their 3 and 5 year olds. As for prices, I've found organising childcare separately isn't particularly cheap (about £500 for a full week with a nanny of 8 hours per day)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lightningdan, I'm not sure how to take you making our Twitter relationship so public ... Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ctskifam wrote:
lightningdan, I'm not sure how to take you making our Twitter relationship so public ... Laughing

I wanted people to know I was not part of Skifamille, as I am always going on how good they are. Also, I realise may snowheads are fully capable of arranging DIY holidays, because they have already done them. I also see that newbies come across the site and ask valid questions about childcare, which based on my own experience with Crystal many years ago need asking.
I like the fact I "know" what you are offering, I am not trying to work out whats included and whats not, which believe me I have previously spent some time on. I think arranging a family ski trip is expensive and daunting, so people need know that once they have booked( with you) they can relax and enjoy the skiing, not worry about where they should ski , and getting back for ski school etc. I remember running into the children in Les gets, and not once did they seem pleased to see us, and wanted to stay with the nanies and friends and have another hot chocolate etc.

The first time I used skifamille, Easyjet postponed my flight 7 hours, which with a baby and a small child is not great and Gatwick is not really geared up for this sort of delay. Not quite knowing where this put us with regards to transfers, I called Shelia, wondering if we would have to get a taxi and claim on insurance etc. I was impressed that her biggest worry was what my wife would want to drink on arrival , as she would be stressed. She also found out if the other people in the chalet minded if dinner was put back an hour. Both of these acts helped relieve a stressful situation, and meant we put the delay behind us and got on with having a great holiday.

Did not know our Twittering was going on in secret!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only kidding and thanks for all of the nice comments. Now we just need to make sure it's even better next time around ... no pressure!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lightningdan, We had an excellent time in Reberty with Skifamille last Easter. I had been pre warned about the low ceiling and as you say the room is for sleeping not spending your holiday in. We have been with various companies over the years and Skifamille childcare was good and our two girls had a great time. As with all chalet holidays the people you are with make a big difference and we were very lucky. The rest of the chalet all knew each other and had been on many skifamille holidays in the past. Their children were similar age to ours and they all got on really well, so that meant we had a good holiday too.

This season our trip is booked. We have to go in half term and will be self catering as it is the only way we can afford to go. Skifamille is good but we simply can't afford it at half term.

Hope you have a great trip.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ctskifam wrote:
Only kidding and thanks for all of the nice comments. Now we just need to make sure it's even better next time around ... no pressure!

I can't think of any thing off the top of my head, that is realistic or would cause me a divorce, ( a nice sports massage etc)
One thing I forgot to mention, often I am dubious, when told not to worry about equipment hire, as you (TO) have a preferred supplier. In Les Gets last December we were not told what the rental costs would be, just settle up at the end of the week, they ( hire shop) cheerfully said.

I did , and was ready for fleecing, but was presented a bill I had to double check in case they had forgotten something, they had not. So very pleased that I had not gone off to source my own on the internet.
When I go DIY on "boys" holidays, Skiset have always been worth booking on line , but I would have paid more if I had choosen that route, and all the equipment was fantastic and the shop only 50 metres from the chalet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisb wrote:
lightningdan, We had an excellent time in Reberty with Skifamille last Easter. I had been pre warned about the low ceiling and as you say the room is for sleeping not spending your holiday in. We have been with various companies over the years and Skifamille childcare was good and our two girls had a great time. As with all chalet holidays the people you are with make a big difference and we were very lucky. The rest of the chalet all knew each other and had been on many skifamille holidays in the past. Their children were similar age to ours and they all got on really well, so that meant we had a good holiday too.

This season our trip is booked. We have to go in half term and will be self catering as it is the only way we can afford to go. Skifamille is good but we simply can't afford it at half term.

Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks Chris, I have had limited experience of other childcare based ski companies, and have always been pleased with skifamille. I also would need to sell a kidney to go at half term, but this is solved by having a boys s/c trip to somewhere like Motteret for a long weekend, and my wife has a girls weekend ( catered) in Morzine, this allows us both another 4 days skiing, some fun with friends and if done each side of half term is good value.

I spent some time considering peak retreats self catering, and found some possibilties, but as my children are ski novices , would mean only skiing together for about 2 hours a day.

As you say I am still in contact with people I met on my first ski holiday as everybody has children so are all thrown together.

Hope your skii trip goes well, where are you going???
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lightningdan, Samoens this season
ski holidays
Chrisb, Samoens looks great, I looked at the MGM, some time ago. Good sized ski area as well. Did you get 3v passes when you were in Reberty?
latest report
lightningdan, I did but the kids had the local pass as it was enough for their needs
latest report
Thanks for that, did you drive down last time? I ask just in case you are new to the tolls? Sorry one other thing did you use snowbow or ESF?
ski holidays
lightningdan, We flew last year and then had the skifamille mini bus transfer from GVA - very efficient and comfortable. The kids were in snowbow lessons and all the girls in the chalet were together in two ability groups. My youngest (6) probably got the most out of it progressing on to reds with a fair amount of parallel. My eldest enjoyed being with the other girls in the chalet and ganging up on the boys in the class who were named by the girls "useless" and "fallin over". There were 6 in each class but I think the lessons were a bit long 9.15 till 1300 and I am not sure the extra time was used as well as it could be.
ski holidays
Chris thanks for that, my youngest is 3 nearly 4 so ESF won't take her on, but I cannot see her doing more than 2 hours. Time for a re think on the children skiing. Mind you weather might make it to hard for them anyway.
ski holidays
Hi Guys, thanks for the recommendations!

I have been in contact with Ski Famille and found them to be reasonably priced and with all the good things said about them on here will seriously consider them as our number one priority is the childcare aspect and want to choose a reliable and respected company. Just gotta wait for 2 of our group to return from their current holiday so I can get a yay or neigh, hate being the organiser Happy

Thanks again

AL
ski holidays
The_Mac_Daddy, another + for skifamille. They did great work for us from when youngest was 15 months till he was about 12 and frankly past the point of needing child care! If you like to ski (with and/or without your kids) they're great - get them dressed, pat them on the helmet and off you go, without a care in the world. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy