Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake District And The Pennine Resorts 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Well managed to get to Yad Moss today and had a great days skiing. Snow varied from grass through to pockets of 35cm, most of the pisted areas had a few cms. I took some mid fat powder skis with the expectation of it being a bit more like the snow dumping at home. Enjoyed being able to follow boarders without fear of tips spearing into the ground. Still managed a couple of spectacular faceplants following double ejections - really have to crank the din up on my bindings.

I had about 10 minutes of heart stopping worry when following one of the spills above, caused by a tiny drop/ jump I realise my car keys were no longer in my pocket. Searched and searched and just as I was contemplating what a night at minus ten would feel like an extremly kind individual who had gone to the bottom station to check if they had been handed in by some stroke of luck - definately a million to one shot stopped next to them on the way down. I owe him several beers.

Wish they still had some season passes left because I think I will be spending a fair few weekends there from now on, just hope they get a bit more snow.

For anyone who hasn't been I would describe it as a millions times better than skiing in a fridge, but not really comparable to whats on offer in Scotland. Definately worth a visit and will only get better as the season progresses.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
looks pretty snowy on the webcams, if only I can get some meetings snowed off........ wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anyone looking to head up Thursday? Probably going from Leeds if it is open...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, no, but I'm hoping to go Sunday or Monday if it's open and accessible then, am up for sharing a lift part-way at least with anybody from NW (especially if they have winter tyres or 4wd...).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know the current snow depths at Yad Moss, thinking of heading up on Sunday for a slide. Cheers.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, lots from looking at the webcams!!

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, thats what i thought but im not sure how big those fences are, i would say a good 3 foot there but who knows?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would be interesting to know what the road is like? I'm guessing I'll have to dig out a parking slot?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
milnerhome, i think the road will be dug out by then so we whould be ok. What do you think then mate with regards to your skis, there is nothing that could ruin them as its grass underneath amd the depth is a couple of feet!!! Im sure that i wont need them but im not driving 340 mile round trip with the possibility of mine braking on the first run then with nothing to do all day!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
milnerhome, keep an eye on the link above and the answer phone which gets updated with snow and road conditions...

I cannot make it tomorow, could be epic with 2 days of fresh snow and no-one having skied there....
currently says

19.00 Thursday 2nd Dec - We will be trying to open tomorrow at 10.30. Hartside is definitely closed the rest we are unsure about so we all travel at our own risk. Conditions have been easier today and we are hopeful.
Bring a shovel to dig out a parking space - and don't block the snowplough!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fences are about 3' a lot of them were marked with poles once they started to disapear below the snow last year - so people could see them and they didnt get squashed by the piste basher. Away from the tow line and the main run there's not a lot of fencing. Drystone walls though - thats a different thing all together.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So how deep is the snow at Yad moss at the minute? 2 foot?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah no problem, I'll bring the bandits for you.. hopefully get the Lines mounted up before Sunday. The avy shovel will be being brought to dig us a parking lot aswell NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
great stuff mate, really looking forward to it weather permitting of course. Sunday looks to be cold, and sunny, what more could we ask for!!! Like i said i will take mine aswell and hope they last for the duration of the day, you may even be able to look at them at see if you can see what the problem is wink I will bring a shovel but you bring one aswell, and take a packed lunch as there is nothing for miles around, literally!!! have you been to Yad Moss before?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, Would you be up for a sunday slide? Gotta pick milnerhome, from Huddersfield so will be passing yourway?
ski holidays
Hey.
If the road is open I am thinking about heading accross on Saturday. Never been to the Yad but is it likely to be really busy on Sat?

It's dumping in Newcastle and has been for most of the evening so fingers crossed it's doing the same out there.

Cheers
snow conditions
Sunshine81, Its great as long as you dont expect Alpine standards, there is 1 poma and the queue will move pretty fastly. I would have thought Saturday will be busy but the road conditions may put some people off, check out there website for the latest webcam pics, i think there i about 2 foot of snow up there.
snow conditions
Sunshine81, if it is busy they reserve the right to stop selling day tickets so get up there earlyish to be sure. Even if Hartside is still closed you can come at it from the south generally easier (from Middleton/Barnard Castle) I went twice last year, and found that route to be much less hairy than Hartside, though longer (depends where you are coming from I guess).

Ricklovesthepowder, I'm also aiming at Sunday Very Happy
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
kitenski, Would you be up for a sunday slide? Gotta pick milnerhome, from Huddersfield so will be passing yourway?

Can't do, got a level 1 hockey coaching exam, but thanks for the offer, maybe next week??

latest update:

Further heavy snowfall and drifts meant that nobody could get up to the slopes today as the road was completely blocked. Hopefully tomorrow will be more successfull. We are planning to open up at about 10am tomorrow but there may well be delays. Even if the road is ploughed it will be difficult and 4WD will be necessary or chains with a 2WD (if there is enough ground clearance). Please do not turn up too early as we will have to clear the parking, piste the route across which is covered in deep snow and various other jobs.

We are accepting day members tomorrow (Friday 3rd) and it would be very helpful if you would download and print off a day membership form from the website (www.skiweardale.com) and bring it along already completed with the correct day fee. We will be opening also on Saturday and Sunday from 10am (will update the answerphone if anything changes) but this will be for members only. Non members will sadly be turned away at the weekend.
We will be running regular checks on membership so it would be helpful if you can display membership cards visibly.

Please drive carefully and respect the local population and do not block the fell gate in the carpark - anyone doing so will be towed away - you have been warned!
snow conditions
Ffs I didn't get a membership so I can't go this weekend!!! Boll0ck5!!!
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, that text that kitenski, has put is is about Weardale - not Yad Moss
latest report
I think Weardale has already declared that they will be members only all weekends all season. I believe Yad Moss will be playing it by ear, so non-members will be ok if there early.
latest report

A Yad Moss Non Member day ticket = £15 on weekdays
and £18 on weekends and Bank Holidays

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/season-tickets

A Weardale Non Member day ticket = £20. (Weekdays only)

http://www.skiweardale.com/Membership2.html

ski holidays
Thank god for that!!! Well I'm still going then!!!!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, wigan, Cheers for the replies.

I have been looking at it for a couple of years now so really need to get my act together and get over there. I am in Newcastle so it's a short drive for me providing the roads are open and also means no problems for getting there early if they are going to close to season pass holders only.

Many thanks
snow conditions
wigan wrote:
Sunshine81, Even if Hartside is still closed you can come at it from the south generally easier (from Middleton/Barnard Castle)

Re Yad Moss access, ignore what I wrote above!

B6277 still seems to be closed between Middleton and Yad Moss, probably best access from north instead. Good road updates here: http://www.cybermoor.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=3&func=view&catid=2&id=32538 and on the FB group
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder,
Hi Rick,
Sorry, no idea how to do a PM.
Might you have room in your car for one more on Sunday?

Alex in Manchester
ski holidays
TheGeneralist, possibly. I will wait to see what is happening regards weather and roads come Sunday. They should have sorted them out by then so let's see what happens. I willmkeep you updated. Where abouts in Manchester are you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder,
Hi Rick.
I'm in Timperley. I've not got internet access at home so won't be able to contact you after this afternoon, or see responses on this thread. Can you take a note of my phone number and maybe phone me on Saturday? Or text me your number this afternoon.

cheers

zero seven nine seven seven 057240
ski holidays
Somebody just posted this on the Facebook group re access today:

--------
Tried and failed to get in from Teesdale. B6277 was ploughed but drifting in quickly at midday. Road blocked at the county boundary, met couple of the tow opertators by the Harwood Ski Club site and then retired to the Langdon Beck Hotel for the first apres ski of the season. Light snow and increasing drifting through the afternoon. Police road closed signs are up a couple of miles beyond Langdon Beck suspect the road may fill in on the Durham side if the wind keeps up.

This morning the roads were white from Scotch Corner, A66 closed at Bowes so not being gritted. B6277 was white from Barnard Castle. Looked like there had been quite a lot of cars through the hedges on the A1 north of Catterick. In short - road conditions not to good from the East. Doesnt look like the council are gritting beyond Middleton.
---------

That and the weather forecast doesn't sound too promising for this weekend. Both Ricklovesthepowder, and I have quite low clearance cars without winter tyres or chains. I struggled to access last year when the roads were much clearer than this, so might need to wait a bit longer yet rolling eyes
snow report
Can any locals please give us an update on the local road conditions in the area, thanks.
snow conditions
Latest info here from the local policeman. Only apprach at the moment is from Alston via Slaggford.

http://www.cybermoor.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=3&func=view&catid=2&id=32538&limit=8

I'm, going to try again on Sunday. We need the wind to calm down and visibility to improve before the Teesdale side can open. Sad
snow conditions
Considering an early season raid on Raise tomorrow, about to hit the t'interweb to check but if any locals can provide an update on the state of the roads it'd be appreciated
ski holidays
Facebook was the local update. You'd need tracks to get over the top.

Weardale has just been on the NE news - road blocked in beyond Wearhead.

Harwood Ski Club - google to get website - on the Durham side was running today. Should be tomorrow. Weardale is now members only at the weekend so thats not an option as membership is now full.

For Yad the website is the best source of info on tow and has links to council roads stuff. Today it looked like only access to Yad Moss was from the A69. Might be a frustrating few days for those coming from the East.
ski holidays
Cheers guys, will keep an eye out on that police report, they seem pretty frequent.
snow conditions
Been to Allenheads today with about 80cm on the ground. Tows are struggling with the cold weather but good fun to ski in England in early December. Very cold on way on A69, -9C but warmer when I got there. Snow was starting to drift on the road and it may make things a bit trickier to get there tomorrow
ski holidays
The Alston police report is excellent, unfortunately nothing quite as good on the East side, what does exist tends to conflict. Langdon Beck - St Johns is down as closed on the county council website, not mentioned by BBC and the closed notices were covered when I passed the road end today. With the way the wind picked up this afternoon its a fairly safe bet its will have filled in again by this evening even if it wasnt before. Biggest problem is each valley is responsible for its own roads which leads to quite a lot of trips to the top of the hill to find a wall of snow. Until everything becomes a lot less mobile its best to work on no roads in and out of the different dales being open or opened quickly.
latest report
Cheers for the replies guys. I will keep an eye out for the Sunday weather, will be coming up in a mondeo ST which is low and had big fat chunky summer tyres on, just what you don't need in this weather!!!
snow report
Well my planned Scotland trip for this weekend went west when my mate crashed his car......... So back to Yad Moss on Sunday if I can get there. I may be billy no mates so looking for ski buddies that may be on the hill, drop me a pm pleaseeeeeeeeee!
latest report
ledge, will let you know if I go up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy