Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will pregnancy change my feet so much that my ski boots won't be any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking into buying ski boots but...

I and my partner are planing a baby sometimes next year Smile.

How will pregnancy affect my feet? Will the boots still feet me?

I am guessing the shape of my feet will change after the pregnancy?

Any experiences and advice much appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nemeziss, there may be changes due to the hormones released into the body but this tends to make the foot more pliable, yes they can spread out but if fitted properly and using a good footbed then you should be ok

women all over the forum will have various experiences but in fitting terms we have not found it too much of a problem
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks CEM, just the man I wanted to answer the question Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nemeziss, does that mean you are allowed to get some wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, would the foot change just during pregnancy - or change for ever?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, what sort of price would I be looking at if I came to you to feet me into ski boots?

I am quite confident skier but don't venture on the black runs yet or off piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, I'm allowed NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a baby 6 months ago and my feet definitely feel bigger now. I bought some shoes last week and I had to get a size bigger than I used to. I hadn't thought about the consequences for my ski boots, yikes - will have to try them out before I go skiing in March Shocked .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, The homone Relaxin is released which has an effect on collagen and increases ligament laxity, it takes the body a couple of years to recover from this. I think high eostrogen levels also slow down the recovery process but I could be wrong on this.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am guessing after the baby arrives we won't be skiing for a couple of years any way rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My feet changed forever.....or at least 13 years and counting. 5.5 -6 prior to the arrival of The flying bogee and 7.5/8 since. I can't wear heels anymore either Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nemeziss, The ankle (well most joints really) is more unstable so more liable to injury, prevention is by maintaining stability either directly by footwear which is supportive, which includes ski boots, or footbeds combined with footwear. The problem is that most female foorwear lacks support, ski boots are an exception.

So it's true, most women are unstable after pregnancy (and during periods due to eostrogen) Though some don't need to become pregnant to be unstable Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NatalieG, how does your weight now compare with your weight before pregnancy? If one gets heavier, ones feet tend to get a bit fatter like everything else. My daughter has been asking the same question - her baby is now nearly 8 months old and she's coming skiing at Christmas. She's just got back in to her pre-preggie "comfortable jeans" and can wear the "really really tight jeans" for an entire 30 minutes. Provided she doesn't try to sit down. wink So she's hoping by then she'll be fine - as the boots are quite new she doesn't want to have to buy another pair.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought my boots a 6 years before my first child and I have now had a seocnd child since. There was now way I could have got my boots on in the last trimester of either pregnancy but then I couldn't have skiied then. However my boots felt just as comfortable when I wore them again after my first. Fingers crossed it still will.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, The homone Relaxin is released which has an effect on collagen and increases ligament laxity, it takes the body a couple of years to recover from this. I think high eostrogen levels also slow down the recovery process but I could be wrong on this.

I was told that it takes 9 months for your body grow a baby and give birth it takes another 9 months to get back to where it was (including having relaxin in your
system)
latest report
NickyJ, They lied, ligaments take a bit longer!
snow report
My Midwife wife has just told me to write that there is no reason they won't fit. Any swelling of the feet will return to normal a few weeks after the birth.
snow conditions
My feet grew half a size with each baby....One of the reasons I stopped at 2. I'd have Coco the Clown sized feet otherwise wink
ski holidays
pam w,

Quote:

NatalieG, how does your weight now compare with your weight before pregnancy? If one gets heavier, ones feet tend to get a bit fatter like everything else.

I am a bit heavier still than I was immediately before pregnancy (I actually think I've put on weight since the birth as I developed a sweet tooth during pregnancy which combined with being at home all day has resulted in too much cake) but not heavier than I had previously been when my shoe size was still 6.5-7. Just bought a pair of sandals in a size 8. If it's because your feet spread out, I can see that there could well be less of a difference in ski boots with footbeds than with a pair of sandals with no support at all. Do your daughter's ski boots not fit her now, though?
latest report
Quote:

Do your daughter's ski boots not fit her now, though?

we don't know yet, because they're out in France. I think they'll be OK.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think they'll be OK.

Fingers crossed! Hope mine will too. Otherwise I will just have to save up his child benefit to pay for a new pair... Twisted Evil
snow report
Well a child will benefit if his mum is happy skiing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
anarchicsaltire, how come you know so much about this?
ski holidays
I'm quite a bit heavier that before I had my first baby but it is 22 years ago. I didn't ski then, but had size 3.5 feer, and I still do. . Difference being that due to the extra weight I can actually get shoes that stay on my feet, although many are still far too wide.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, I feel that it's my duty to check as many women as I can for lax ligaments wink
snow report
anarchicsaltire, so selfless and giving - respect
ski holidays
Annie wrote:
My feet changed forever.....or at least 13 years and counting. 5.5 -6 prior to the arrival of The flying bogee and 7.5/8 since. I can't wear heels anymore either :-(

Mine too. 5 before son #1, 6 after, and 7 after son #2.
snow report
My feet are the same size, however I've put on weight so the fit would not have been the same. I need new boots but am going to get them fitted as close to my holiday as possible to give me a chance to lose a few pounds first.

Biggest foot problem so far seems to be that having schleped around in "comfortable shoes" for 6 months my feet are now ripped to shreds by heels/pretty shoes. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My advice is that if you are pregnant, or are trying ti get pregnant, avoid buying boots. Despite in many cases the feet returning to silmilar state to before, there are more likey to be problems than not. Just my experiences.
latest report
We've had two babies neither has affected our feet, wallet yes but feet no Toofy Grin
Both born in September Skiing at Christmas was fine snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Both born in September Skiing at Christmas

Fast learners Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Interesting point - will have to coax Always29 back into her ski boots see if her dainty plates have changed since Sideways_Juniorarrived on the scene. She won't be happy if she can't get them back on!
snow conditions
argh, something else to worry about post pregnancy and I loved my new ski boots, conversely I am now a good stone and dress size smaller than I was pre-preg (unexpected side effect of breastfeeding Very Happy ), wonder if my boots will be too small...............runs upstairs to ransack top of cupboard to find ski boots........
snow report
...........sideways_junior looked most put out that his mother was faffing about with some strange contraptions on her feet instead of preparing his lunch.

Good news -, my boots seem to be absolutely fine, in fact the legs / ankles seem more comfortable than before. As well as the hormones, I wonder if weight gain / loss has much to do with it, I was unusual in that I only gained a stone in pregnancy so perhaps thats why things seem to unchanged?

Bad news - gagging to get on the snow NOW, which resorts have creches open pre Christmas???
ski holidays
always29, great. snowHead I found breastfeeding very effective too - when No 2 son was 4 months old, fully breastfed and growing rapidly, along with a bouncy 2 year old to chase around, I felt rather tired and worn out and got on the scales to find I was half a stone lighter than I'd ever been. For ages and ages I'd been eating properly, had virtually no sugar since the birth, etc etc so rushed out and bought myself a packet of HobNobs to celebrate and get some weight back on.

I'm about half a stone heavier now than I was then - but that was 1977! As for my feet, they were horrible before I had any babies and they're even more horrible now.
snow report
always29 wrote:
...........sideways_junior looked most put out that his mother was faffing about with some strange contraptions on her feet instead of preparing his lunch.

Good news -, my boots seem to be absolutely fine, in fact the legs / ankles seem more comfortable than before. As well as the hormones, I wonder if weight gain / loss has much to do with it, I was unusual in that I only gained a stone in pregnancy so perhaps thats why things seem to unchanged?

Bad news - gagging to get on the snow NOW, which resorts have creches open pre Christmas???

I have booked to go to Courcheval 1850 with Esprit Ski in there catered chalet which has a creche (also booked) in house. According to the person I spoke to there, the chalet is a lot cheaper than it will be next year, as it is the first year they have it (it wasn't in their early bird brochure). We are flying out on the 12th Dec.
ski holidays
hi nickyj - thanks for that. We've been thinking about DIY but all the resort creches I've looked at don't have info about opening dates yet so perhaps TO is the way to go. Just had a quote from Espirit that is seriously tempting for that week so might see you....
latest report
That would be cool. We are looking forward to it. My 4 yr old hasn't stopped talking about going skiing since we booked it. I just hope she enjoys it when we get there.

ETA: We went DIY a couple of times when our 4yr old was younger, when we could go with my parents one year and my sister in law the next year and we shared the childcare. Didn't have that option this time around.
snow report
Thanks everyone for all the posts Smile

Looks like the pregnancy shouldn't affect the way the ski boot will fit me after having a baby (in most cases anyway).

Good news than.

Time to give a call to CEM Razz
latest report
NickyJ - booked into Courchevel 1850 for the same week! By the time we'd added on nursery, flight supps, ski supps, credit card supps, etc etc, just under £1,500 for the week. Will def be working on the DIY option in the future me thinks but for our first week on the snow as a family, seems like an easier option.

nemeziss - pleased we've all helped in your shopping!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy