Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small French Resorts 2010-2011

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, since wednesday we've been to Chamrousse (backcountry), St Hilaire and today the Col de Porte. Here is a bit of video of Junior at the Col de Porte

http://youtube.com/v/G1Y1sVlQYxE

This is one of the first areas to be developed for downhill skiing in France. I don't think they've upgraded the lifts since 1934.

At Chamrousse I skied the west face of the Petit Van, the space center right on the suspended slope where there are no tracks yet. Good powder but ice at the entrance to the slope.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This weekend we visited the Col d'Ornon near l'Alpe d'Huez. This resort is due to close at the end of the season and indeed we may have skied the last ever day this resort will operate. Despite being at 1450 meters (upper station) and 1375 meters (lower station) only the upper station was operating and the snow cover was not brilliant. The Oisans is having something of a snow drought this year.

The resort has some very steep pistes and an even steeper main drag lift as you can see in these clips.

http://youtube.com/v/aqm8Bgqcz60

it will be great if it does open next season to some better snow conditions. We need small resorts like this where the lift ticket is 8.50 euros for the day. The Gite at the bottom of the pistes:

http://www.giteleschuss.com/

served us a great lunch of fresh produce and closure would be a disaster for them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, yep, that snow at Col D'ornon looks rather lush, especially through the scrub. The drag lift does indeed look steep but surely it's quicker than the human ski tow version (though I admired the dedication Very Happy ).

Col de Porte through the woods looks lovely too but did I see a queue for the lift at the bottom !! Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 7-03-11 22:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross wrote:
davidof, yep, that snow at Col D'ornon looks rather lush, especially through the scrub. The drag lift does indeed look steep but surely it's quicker than the human ski tow version (though I admired the dedication Very Happy ).

The scrub is the black piste which was officially closed. The scrub wasn't too bad apart from you got whipped around the legs by the little twigs. The guy was skiing very well in those conditions, better than anyone I saw at l'Alpe d'Huez the last couple of days.

That drag lift is crazy. There was another drag which I filmed from which was normal steepness. I was surprised at the vertical the resort offers with runs between 1350 and 2000m altitude.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
That drag lift is crazy. There was another drag which I filmed from which was normal steepness. I was surprised at the vertical the resort offers with runs between 1350 and 2000m altitude.

It's not a lift for falling off or even deliberately dismounting midway on a 'firm snow' day then. Madeye-Smiley

I'd love to do a little roadtrip through some of those resorts. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Davidoff - Lovely seeing that video of Col D'Ornon - I learned to ski there many years ago! In fact, I think that run on the lower resort was probably my first real experience on skis, been taken through the basics with an ex-french army ski instructor! What a shame if it closes!! I hope they can keep it going.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CharlieL wrote:
Hi Davidoff - Lovely seeing that video of Col D'Ornon - I learned to ski there many years ago! In fact,

Interesting to hear that. I think the days of some of these places are numbered though. Maybe they could convert to Cat skiing (although that would require a change of law in France).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Super D today, at the top, very good, (squeaky snow, honest...) but lower down starting to really suffer, especially in the late afternoon. Clear blue skies, and still a bit busy with the last bit of the french hols. More snow and a bit of cloud, please.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, that little guy doesn't hang around, does he? snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So we finished up the school holiday week in St Pierre de Chartreuse, which had hardly been open all season and indeed only the very top of Mount Scia was operating normally. The tot got his ESF 2 and 3 star certificates and we moved on to Allevard which was in generally good nick apart from the South facing slopes which were very slushy.

Not much happening last week as weather fronts brought snow above 1700 -> 1400m but not a huge amount, 30cm in our area at best. Saturday was more poor weather with rain all day and 10cm of fresh snow at 2300m. The snow/rain level was somewhere like 1800m Sad and we lost 5cm at 1600m.

Today the cloudbase was at 2000m this morning, this dropped to around 1800m in the afternoon so we were tempted by the Chamrousse "sunset" tickets which let you ski from 15h30 to closing. Here is the tot at around 5pm near the summit of the pistes.

Snow was generally good but some of the south facing runs had a some significant rocks and bare patches but this was fairly localized.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, fantastic picture! Congratulations to the tot on his achievement. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
davidof, that little guy doesn't hang around, does he? snowHead

I'm going to have to put him on a lead.

How is the snow round your way?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

How is the snow round your way?

's OK up in Les Saisies, hard pack turning to soft pack in the twinkling of an eye, but mostly open and the most recent snow patched the pistes up nicely. It's still more like April than March though. Not been down into the Arly Valley for ages. We have beginner visitors coming tomorrow, so not going to be venturing far away.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to le Collet d'Allevard this afternoon, a big change since 3 weeks ago. The lower part of resort (1450-1650) and west facing was closed although we managed to ski within 50 meters of the bottom of the pistes on the last run.

At SuperCollet conditions could best be described as "variable"... varying between mud, rocks, grass and slush. The slush wasn't too bad to ski and on the flatter slopes the basher had managed to squeeze most of the water out for some pleasant skiing.

We skied down the back bowl which has a mix of blue and black runs, this is n/w facing and more sheltered and the snow was quite good to ski although very slushy. The link back to the main part of the ski area required a 50 meter walk on grass.

There is about 30cm of snow left on the runs at 1650 but this will probably melt very quickly now. I bet they are pleased they are closing tonight. Still given they have virtually no snow making not a bad season.

Sorry no photos.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone looking for some small resorts in the triangle around Annecy, Chambery and Albertville - should head into Les Massif des Bauges (the Wallows) - you get Le Reveard and Le Faclaz http://www.savoiegrandrevard.com

and Margeriaz and Les Aillons www.lesaillons.com . All of these resorts are family friendly offering some great on and off piste. We built a chalet in Le Chatelard nearby and when friends are free they love the variety of the smaller resorts, not to mention the cost. I think skiers still haven't wised up to the excellent value such resorts offer, especially when you have children and are on a budget. If anyone wants any further info on the area please get in touch. Heres a clip of the family on a blue run in February half term last year - note the lack of crowds!! No queuing
here...

http://youtube.com/v/xCPoxgF-iQ0&feature=related
Very Happy
snow report
I should add that the other attraction of the smaller resorts is that they are not just about alpine skiing and Boarding - they're about winter sports and winter life. In Les Bauges you can ski in the morning at Margeriaz and head to Annecy and a winter lake boat trip after lunch in the old town. At Le Revard you can head down ton the spa town of Aix les Bain and have a massage before dinner. The big resorts are wonderful - if you can get your moneys worth - and that's worth thinking about. After the hard core, come back every year groups, there are loads of first timers, or beginners and intermediates for whom 50km of piste is just as goods as 400km - because they're only going to cover 20km! Most small resorts charge only 20 euro for a day pass, or 10-12euro for a half day. So you can basically pay as you go and if you get a white out day - head off to Annecy, Chambery or Aix for some wet play day fun. Its great to see that SnowHeads has a Thread to recognise that small resorts have something different and extra to offer. Here's our facebook page for more pics and video of Les Bauges...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Chatox-Holiday-Chalet-near-Annecy-Savoie-Alps-France/101329913286410
latest report
I'm assuming you'd recomend this for a 2-3 day day ski trip? There's a group of 3 or 4 wanting to come out this week, what do you suggest Very Happy
snow report
Back from a week in St. Sorlin d'Arves/Les Sybelles. Great snow conditions all week, both on and off-piste (amazing how long fresh snow is easily found, if you're used to the Arlberg!). About 30cm of fresh snow friday night, so conditions are absolutely perfect now in the Maurienne valley.
ski holidays
Very Happy 2 weeks today and will be our first day skiing in Les Sybelles
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy