Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help me chose where to go next year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI there
I am looking for our next skiing holiday. We are 2 adults and 2 children (12&10) we will be onto our 3rd year skiing. we are looking for quite a large area to ski, we will be taking the kids out of school. last year we went to valmorel and we really liked the skiing although it was really pricey!

We are open to going anywhere, either doing it diy or through a tour operator, even taking our chances and doing it last minute. we do not need any apres ski, in fact our night time routine usually involves arrive back to apartment after skiing, take off skis and boots, make the tea, then crash out! we dont take the kids out to the pubs or to restaurants. (mainly because it is easier to find someting they like to eat by making it ourselves)

we are looking for somewhere that is quite cruisy that wont be too challenging. we wont be doing ski school so it doesnt matter whether the resort has a good ski school. we would also like some skiing on the tree line. looking to go in March probably, would consider January too but not sure if it would be too cold or weather less predictable.

we would probably prefer self catering. I do like the idea of going catered or all inclusive but to be honest we are so fussy at eating, it would be wasted on us and we would probably end up having to eat out so probably not cost effective.
some of the places i had been looking at were morzine, sauze doulx and sestriere.
thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arcs
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
polo99, Ski Welt area, Austria might suit you.

290Km of linked slopes, mostly red & blue. You should be able to find an apartment easily enough going DIY, not quite so easy through a TO. If you fly to Salzburg, there are a few companies offering transfers, or if you fly to Innsbruck, you could get the train to Worgl, then taxi or local bus from there.

Other good options would be Schladming (if flying to Salzburg) or the Zillertal (if flying to Innsbruck) - but probably staying in Zell am Ziller or Fugen rather than Mayrhofen.

You will probably find any of those cheaper than Valmorel, although I'm not sure how much by.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks alex. i would really love to go back to ski welt as i have been to soll twice 20 years ago. what i didnt like about it was the distance to the lifts, i dont really want the hastle of getting a ski bus. also we will be flying from newcastle so probably geneva will be the best bet, or we could fly in to chambery. we would probably hire a car as that would probably work out the same price as having 4 return transfers. Our first year we went to Niederau and it was teeny weeny but I thought the shops and restaurants were very reasonably priced.

when looking at austria I had been thinking of maybe scheffau or ellmau but not sure how close hotels/apartments are near to the lifts. I really did enjoy the ski in and ski out of the valmorel apartment as it is somethign i have never done before. I had also put saalbach on my shortlist, maybe leogang but a bit worried incase the link to saalbach would be broken if we go in March. I know Austria will give us more of the tree line skiing that i would like, but i had heard that les gets was nice and among the tree line.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polo99 wrote:

when looking at austria I had been thinking of maybe scheffau or ellmau but not sure how close hotels/apartments are near to the lifts.

they vary. In Ellmau most of the hotels are a short bus ride away, although some are close to the nursery slopes, or the Going Chairlift, from where you can get into the rest of the system.

But there are quite afew chalets and apartments close to the lifts, you just have to be careful when booking to find out where they are.

I don't really knnow where the hotels & apartments are in Scheffau, so can't help there.

Quote:

I really did enjoy the ski in and ski out of the valmorel apartment as it is somethign i have never done before. I had also put saalbach on my shortlist, maybe leogang but a bit worried incase the link to saalbach would be broken if we go in March.

It won't be, unless there is virtually no skiing anywhere in the valley. The top of the gondola in Leogang is at 1760m, and each lift as you work your way towards Saalbach takes you a little higher, and all of those runs are covered by snowmaking.

I only spent one day there last year, but we started from Leogang that day, and skiing over those links, I can't see any way they will be closed unless the whole resort is pretty well closed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonm wrote:
Les Arcs
Seconded, and for mega-convenience, you could do a lot worse than rob@rar's apartment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Welt, but base yourselves in Westendorf.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo99,
Quote:

but i had heard that les gets was nice and among the tree line

It is.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just booked scheffau with a very similar list of requirements. Also usually do self catered to France but have gone hb at the land alpin!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Espace Diamant, based in Les Saisies village. The lift pass is slightly more expensive than Valmorel but it's a bigger area. For self catering on a budget, wherever you're going, it's worth doing a really big shop in a supermarket before you hit the resort. Also worth taking things like coffee, tea, bit of sugar, bit of flour etc etc from the kitchen cupboard at home.

If you're really not bothered about having a range of restaurants and bars within easy reach, you could rent a very nice 2 bedroom MGM apartment in our complex for 400 euros a week in low season (e.g. January). Ski in/out. Proper oven, 4 ring hob. Not ours, because we'll be in it. Something like this: http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/index.htm
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polo99, I've got an apartment in Serre Chevalier that might be suitable for you. I've sent you a PM with some more details. Just click here to read it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
polo99, would +1 for either Les Arcs or Serre Che. Hells Bells, does have a nice apt. We also like Mottaret in the 3 Valleys. You could do no worse than looking at the Pierre and Vacances places in Les Arcs or Mottaret, as they are ski in/out and near to ski hire etc etc. Here is link to P&V http://www.pv-holidays.com/ski-holiday-france_ms?gclid=CK7nzsX2oqQCFUH92AodhxvA3w .

Happy hunting.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
polo99, schalming could be an option, and maybe stay at the sport hotel royer, i went there with my two fussy eating sons a few years back and found it catered for all tastes, the skiing options are wide rangeing and the hotel has a fantastic swiming and sports complex. we went with ski esprit who do a all in package with lift passes lessons etc all in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy