Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Austrian Resorts. 5 Mums ski-ing late Jan looking for a resort 1.5 hours drive from either Klangenfurt or Linz? Small resort fine. Suitable for 2 beginners and 3 intermediate skiers. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've come up with these using just Klagenfurt as your arrival/departure airport:

http://www.badkleinkirchheim.at/ - Bad Kleinkirchheim

http://www.mallnitz.at/ - Mallanitz - bit of a PITA to reach form anywhere but good snow record. It says that Salzburg is the nearest airport at 2 hours but Klagenfurt is going in the opposite direction to the main flow of traffic so it is probably just as close to be honest.

http://www.turracherhoehe.at/de also served by Klagenfurt and put together a bid with Slovenia and Italy for a Winter Olympics not so long ago.

Linz is more difficult given your transfer limit of 1.5 hours as it is well out of the usual skiing areas. You also have to contend with a lot of Viennese traffic to and from the resorts on transfer days extending your journey times due to jams arising from heavy traffic volume. You would get access to some smaller lower and therefore less developed local resorts but you really need to increase your transfer limit if you want something offering a wider range. Schladming is about 2.5 hours I would hazard a guess at. You need to look for resorts in the Steirmark like Bad Ischl, Bad Mitterndorf. Liezen and Tauplitz to be closer to your airport.

I take it that these are your options for cheap flights with carriers like Ryan Air? It might be worth looking to see if you can get flights to Salzburg as it would open up many more resort opportunities for you with good public transport options for easy transfer.

Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are a couple more options from Klagenfurt in addition to Samerberg Sue's suggestions. I take it you will be hiring a car?

I've not skied Nassfeld Hermagor or the Mölltal glacier but these areas are not that far away transfer wise - you need to check driving times but I'd have thought around the 1.5 hour mark. Heiligenblut is a great resort but I would say that the nursery slopes are good in the village but it is a big step up in difficulty to the blue runs higher up the mountain. If any of the party are nervous intermediates it might not be the most suitable either.

Mallnitz/Ankogel, the glacier and Heiligenblut are high so should be good for snow. Also if the snow is good then there are a few Osttirol resorts like Lienz and Sillian which might be worth a look? I've driven past them a number of times but not actually skied there.

Some other snowHeads might have been to some of these resorts and be able to confirm whether they are suitable for beginners?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hermagor got a v nice ski area Sonnenalp. Nicer village than BKK which is a bit strung out - great spas tho'. Ig you five mums want someone to show you around just call.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All of those options mentioned and you can't go wrong. Hermagor probably has the best skiing. Malnitz is great also b/c of the snow. But it is really small and not much in the village. However, there is the option of taking the train through to Bad Gastein and the skiing possiblities really opens up. Also you can check out the Molltal glacier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
louisebb, the following site has some good info on the various ski resorts in the area

http://www.kaernten.at/en.aspx/Articles/View/923
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It might be very different these days, but one of our early holidays was in St Oswald, a satellite of Bad Kleinkirchheim (though not then lift-linked; I think it is now). We enjoyed it, especially the outdoor warm swimming pool - from natural springs. We visited BKK but we didn't take to it. A rather sprawling, characterless place and though the swimming pool had impressive facilities it was big, very teutonically organised, and very noisy. We liked little St Oswald, and the small private pool in our apartment building, much better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so much for all the information. I've looked into flying into Salzburg (as the 5 of us did last year, skied in Haus im Enstall - lovely) but flights are a bit more expensive now for the dates we are looking at - so thought we would try a different arrival airport. Tauplitz looks particularly pretty and it has a points system for the lifts for the beginners - are only gripe against Haus which didn't have an alternative to a full lift pass. Thanks again
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy