Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I am going sking in Passo Tonale in Jan 2011 with my 10 year old son after a 12 year break in sking and have to buy new clothes. The difference between then and now if remarkable.I have bought some Trespass Saloupettes which have lining in them and i am wondering do i need to wear anything else under them also any suggestions of what ski jacket to but for less than £100 as this is an extra holiday not planned Shocked

I also need to buy kit for my son who i hope loves it and i will have to take him every year Very Happy I am not bothered about flashy names just need to keep warm and dry any ideas anybody please.

Any body know Passo Tonale and is it a good place to take my son who's never skied?

Regards

Tally
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tally, I had my first skiing holiday in Passo Tonale and it was great. The nursery slopes are right near the village, so I don't think it's a bad choice for your first trip with your son.

I always take thermal long-johns to wear under salopettes, but don't bother if it's too warm. In January I'd have thought they would be essential.

What size is your son, as I have a one piece suit that my son used when he was 12 and I would be happy to send it to you for the postage. I think it's a Dare to Be suit and did a good job back then and it was only worn for one week. It's a darkish red colour, but at that age one piece suits are very practical as they love to roll about in the snow. Bit of a faff going to the loo though. Toofy Grin

Oh, and welcome to snowHead's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tally, Hi and welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

I've skied in Passo Tonale in early Feb and it was sunny with blue skies most of the week, but very cold. As geepee, says, thermal longjohns are the thing - you will probably need them. For your son, Asda have packs of two thermal vests, longsleeved tops and longjohns at about £6 for a pack of two. My sons had them last year and even the whingey teenager who always feels the cold, said they were warm Very Happy

If you are looking for an inexpensive ski jacket for yourself, and have a TK Maxx nearby, it would be a worth a visit now, as the kit is coming in. I'd expect you cold find a decent and functional jacket well within your budget

My friend used the ski school (albeit in private lessons) but the instructors are the same, and she was very happy with the instruction (and she's had lots to compare them to - nervous skier!) Slopes are generally wide and not too dramatic at the lower levels, and within the village, so easy to get a break in the bar or cafe at the bottom. Where are you staying?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Tally,

You don't need to buy a jacket for a 10 year old. Reasons – most jackets that are good enough for Jan in PT will cost a lot and your son will grow out of it before the following season. You can hire reasonable quality jackets from many ski shops in the UK.
Top Tips on hiring ski gear,
Always go and try the gear on before you rent (don’t do it over the web)
Don’t assume you will be able to rent in resort – get it before you go.

Here is a link to what you'll need for your ski trip
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/pages/folgarida_other_articles_equipment.html
Some (many wink ) people on here will disagree with this list, but it's a good place to start.

I go with my classes to PT sometimes if they want to do a safari. In Jan PT can be a little windy just as it is a "Passo", mind you it's not much different from other high/exposed resorts anywhere in Europe. Plus point that in Jan the crazy road through the resort should be a little quieter.

If you want to to have a whizz around whilst your son is in classes and the wind is up then you're best bet is to head and out of the valley floor. It doesn't look like it from the piste map but the area around cima cadi forms a large bowl so you're out of the worst of it due to the surrounding hills protecting you.

Also, as with everywhere in Europe over 3000m, it can get V cold in Jan. It may be an idea to stay away from the Glacier and the Presena area in Jan, unless there has been a big dump recently as you’ll most times see some blue ice popping up where the wind has lifted the cover off.

Another tip; from the town, if you stand with your back towards the glacier (the big ugly tower block hotels) then generally the best runs for short-sharp-shocks are on the other side of the road high up to your front left. The runs to your front right (towards the top of the town) are mostly much longer and gentler.

Yes it's a good place to learn for your son as there are many gentle slopes where he can find his ski legs. As geepee says, the nursery slopes are near to the town so you’ll not to trek for miles each (depending on where your hotel is). As for which local ski schools to use, sorry but can’t really of much help with that. I have seen the local instructors when I’m over there and see them over here with their groups, but don’t have any inside knowledge about which to choose.

Here is a link that will give you the contact details
http://www.skirama.it/IT/scuole-sci-tonale-ponte-di-legno/
You can give them a call and discuss your requirements eg. group/private/levels/etc and see what they say.
I don't think there are any BASI's there (just me round this area Sad ) but most of the locals speak some English and if you ask the ski school they can ensure you have the lesson in English.

If you need more information about which ski school to use it may be a good idea to post a question asking if any snowHead's have been there and taken lessons. Personal experience is always best if you're looking for recommendations.

It's a really nice resort so you'll have a great time there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If he's never skied, get yourself over to Chill Factore and give him a head start before you get over to Italy. It will pay dividends and I think he will get more out of the trip than otherwise. Indeed depending on how often you go or how well he gets the hang of it, you may be able to spend quite a bit of the holiday skiing together
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get him a jacket in Mountain Warehouse, our kids current jackets cost about £30 each and the kids say they are warm and quite like them. (8 year old wants a Degree7 and 11 year old a Spyder, but I'd like a Maserati, and that's definitely ahead in the queue Toofy Grin )

Skiwear4less.com are also good for cheap kit, they do roadshows round the uk in pre/early season if tou don't want to risk sizes via mail order.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy