Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

The good news though is that Avoriaz is going to stay open until 25th April Toofy Grin

This is good news indeed - as I'm heading out for the final few days of the season over easter weekend, so happy that I'll be able to get some (water)skiing in!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, what a difference a day makes! Skied yesterday for one run. Top of Linga bubble down to the chair, up to the top and then down to the bubble station again. It was horrible. A smattering of new snow over slush.

This morning was so much better. WE drove around to Ardent (beautiful drive by the way for any considering it) and took the bubble up to Lindarettes. Skied through Avoriaz and up to the top of Arare. A couple of runs down there (firm but fun) and then we took the kids for their first black run down the Coupe De Monde. Perhaps that wasnt the best of ideas as despite the sunshine, the Coupe was pretty icy and scraped off. Kids were fantastic though and skied all the way down without much problem.

Took the chair back up to the top and skied down the run on the other side of Arare (not sure of its name but its a blue) that was lovely and the pistes were starting to soften. Took the chair over to Lindarette and skied the Blue down from the top of Avoriaz. Had a nice bit of lunch at the ice bar near the Fleurie lift and then a couple more runs down the Blue from the top of the Prolay chair before heading home. Wonderful day and we cant wait for tomorrow.

Today's snow was definitely firm this morning but I would suspect that by starting at Fornet and then moving across to the Stade/Arare area we could have enjoyed relatively softer conditions from early on. Tomorrow we will experiment!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, not skied for a while, but we ventured up to Fornet this morning. Great spring conditions that lasted for a couple of hours, several inches of fresh on a hard base - very pleasantly surprised. Softened up considerably by about 11am. Eventful day, found a guy unconcious underneath a small cliff - looked like a drop/jump gone wrong. Skiing on his own and could not remember anything. Fortunately, no lasting serious damage and after getting him picked up and off to hospital, skied a while longer, had a leisurely lunch and then (water) skied back down to Ardent just in time to witness a punch up in the car park!!

Not sure how long the lower pistes of Avoriaz and Lindarets are going to hold up, but there is still some nice snow higher up if you look for it.

Enjoy what is left of the season.

Bob

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-04-11 15:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Eventful day, found a guy unconcious underneath a small cliff - looked like a drop/jump gone wrong. Skiing on his own and could not remember anything.

Shocked Good job somebody noticed him!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Eventful day, found a guy unconcious underneath a small cliff - looked like a drop/jump gone wrong. Skiing on his own and could not remember anything.

Shocked Good job somebody noticed him!

Almost missed him, at first glance from a distance he looked like a rock, but then saw his skis below!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ardoyne,
Quote:

Skiing on his own and could not remember anything.

Was he wearing a helmet??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pamski wrote:
Ardoyne,
Quote:

Skiing on his own and could not remember anything.

Was he wearing a helmet??

No.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well basically the pistes in Champoussin are now closed, and looking at the webcams I can see why.

We had originally hoped (against hope) to go for the first week of the holidays (this weekend) but gave up hope of that about a month ago. Even a metre of snow won't help now.

But we had two good weeks, in nice weather, so it wasn't all bad. I will now be turning my thoughts to the summer and coming back to the webcams in late October for more mental torture.

Cheers everyone, and for those of you still out there or still to go, have fun and stay safe. Skis don't slide well on mud!

Tim
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another great day in the PDS. Parked at Linga and skied the Chatel area today. Quite firm in the morning but the sun shone and between 11.30 and 1.45pm we had some lovely skiing with the kids. Skied everything around the Les Combes Lift and Plaine Dranse.

One thing I would mention is that I noticed the old stone etc on some of the more Sun exposed slopes. Things are definately starting to move into Summer mode. Off to Avoriaz tomorrow and hoping to get high and stay high for as much of the day as possible Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markoncarp, cant wait to hear how you get on in Avoriaz tomorrow. I arrive on Sat for my last few days rippin this season and to top up the goggle/sunnies tan Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markoncarp,glad to hear that you are having a good time still.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK. Today was ummmmm "interesting"
gain
Drove over to the Ardent Bubble and then got the chair over to Avoriaz. Noticed that they are now moving snow in quite large quantities. The large jumps in the Park have now been demolished and even some of the more obvious areas of "off piste" that adjoin the main thoroughfares are now being extracted to ensure that there is snow to ski on.

We got the chair up to the top of the Arare run but decided at the last minute to go down the Coupe de Monde... Wrong decision... The Coupe was pretty slushy to be fair, even when it was so high up. It obviously hadnt had a chance to freeze last night and even at 10.45am, it was hard going. The bottom was just mashed potato and when you add the masses of skiers that seemed to have the same idea as us, I have to say I was pretty cheesed off.

We got the chair back up and decided to take the kids down the Jump park which runs inbetween the two blue runs (Arare and Stade?) Again. Wrong decision... The destruction of the main park in Avoriaz has meant that every boarder and his dog was plumetting head long down the rather small roadways between the jumps. It was like Testosterone City! Again, added to this rather strange phenomenon was the fact that it seemed that due to the other local resorts all being closed, every ski school in the PDS had had the same idea and were also leading their young pupils down the same small roadways. Shouts, Screams and cries added to the sound of slush and by the time we had got to the bottom of the run, I was ready to go home.

We skied over to Lindarette but even by 12 o Clock, I'd had enough. We went down in the bubble and the day was only made bearable by two things:

1. we managed to get the kids a couple of pairs of ex-demo ski's and poles for 65 euros each - good skis as well- twin tips -they just need a good service!
2. we managed to find a lovely restaurant alongside the Lac Montriand, where we had a fantastic lunch whilst the kids soaked up the sun by the lake - playing along the banks whilst enraptured by the hordes of frogs that are "cuddling" in the margins.

We leave tomorrow and will try to get an hour or two in the morning to see if the kids ski's are OK, but to be honest, I'm not overly looking forward to it.

Conditions are definately deteriorating and with the crowds that are being forced into the area, my advice must be to get out EARLY (first lift is possible) and be ready to finish around lunch time.

If you look at it positively, the weather is fantastic - I've been skiing in a t-shirt for most of the day - the views are spectacular, the lift passes are cheaper and the tan looks great when you get home.

If you want to be negative, then the pistes are packed, the slush is a nightmare and the thought of getting up early is a pain after a few beers the night before... personally, I'm a positive thinker and I've had the most relaxing week and am quite sad to be going home!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markoncarp, thanks for the update. I am a glass half full bloke so I am sure we will have a great trip. I am always up for the first lift so that's not a problem and it sounds like we are in for some classic long lunches.

Safe trip back and congrats on the bargain skis for the kids.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to say thanks to everyone for their posts over the season.

I'm signing off for the rest of the spring / summer.

Have a great time, no matter what you do.

"See you" next season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking forward to our season out there- driving out on the 17th December- only 250days to go! snowHead
snow report
Got back from Avoriaz yesterday and it was a mixed bag really. Sunday and Monday were glorious sunshine but that clearly did not help the snow conditions to the extent that links were closing across the PDS and we had to down load on a lift or two. Then the rain came on Tuesday morning which was a bit grim but it stopped just before lunch. On Tuesday evening the temperatures dropped and when we were leaving Avroiaz at 6:00am they had the cannons on and there had been a dusting so they might be able to stay open to 25th as planned.

Anyway we had come cracking lunches in Prin Bois (spelling?) and tended to ski the afternoons up above Pre la Joux because Avoriaz was very busy. Our mornings were spent above Avoriaz before the crowds arrived.

If you are yet to head out then have a good trip. That’s it for me this year and as FlyingStantoni says see you next season.
latest report
Well we have packed up on the Swiss side, odd foray over to Chatel this week to teach but other than that it's bye bye til next season from me...Bikes have been out every day and the cable car here in Champery has more bikes on it now than I see in the summer normally!
Have a great summer and catch up on slopes in the PdS soon x
ski holidays
I have just had a snow alert for Les Gets for Tues night Toofy Grin
ski holidays
For anyone who's a fan of Jeremy Pack and morzineweather.com you'll love the following:

http://youtube.com/v/OmieDqCZ7ok

Check You Later
ski holidays
Great video lol, god i love Morzine and Avoriaz, bring on December, SSSSSNNNNNNOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!
ski holidays
WOOOHOOO under 200 days til I'm in Morzine Very Happy
snow report
Hahaha that video is awesome!
latest report
hhhmm - August 30 2010 we were going up La Pointe chairlift on Mt Chery and were covered in snow by the time we got to the top. Today, 19th June, we took the same lift up intending to walk over to Mt Caly - and yes, it got colder and colder going up, the lift went slower and slower, and there was definitely white stuff coming down and settling, for just a few seconds, on our jackets. We could see in the distance on the higher slopes that there had been a dusting of snow overnight.
There appears to be a bit of drainage work going on in the Rosta bowl but not much else to notice - but having driven up to Avoriaz the other day we were amazed at the amount of new apartment buildings that have shot up. Yes, we had seen all the cranes up there during the winter, but had no idea that there was to be so much building. Looks as if the place is doubling in size - apparently the apartments are all to be much larger and not the shoebox size put up in the past.
ski holidays
Pamski, Are those inflatable teddies still in evidence in Avoriaz? Really bizarre. I'm glad to hear they will be bigger apartments, there is a shortage of apartments with elbow room and those that there are are hugely expensive.
snow report
Looks like there is is a plan to replace the old two seat Rochassons chair this coming season. That should speed things up a bit and give me a bit more confidence in the lift - I once saw the cable blown off the runners in high winds whilst sitting in a restaurant at the bottom.

(PS my first picture post, so hope it turns out ok)
ski holidays
BergenBergen, God I hate that lift! It this the one that gives you access to the Linderets Bowl?
ski holidays
BergenBergen, good news. I wasn't that keen on that lift either, combination of bottle neck and ropey looking lift - particularly good news now that I've read your comment Shocked Toofy Grin

Any more news from anyone on PdS changes? We were out a few weeks back. Only thing I noticed in Les Gets was a large new wooden structure being built next to the existing hut at the bottom of the Indian Run. I was very curious but restrained myself from asking the guy working on it as he was perched up high and didn't need me calling up to him in broken French.

In the village there are two great big holes - Mont Chery Hotel has gone, as has the Schuss building - new apts for 2012.
ski holidays
Lou, Looking at the webcam over the past few months http://www.webcam-hd.com/chatel_rochassons.php there looks to be some major landscaping and irrigation/snow canon installs ? on Les Rennes piste
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
new lift for chamossiere

http://www.ski-morzine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24%3Aun-nouveau-telesiege-pour-chamossiere&catid=5%3Aactualite-titre&Itemid=30&lang=en
snow report
Shitolai

That lift opened uo last season and all it did was ruin chamosiere for us locals as lots of people saw the new lift and went up it to find they had an option of a red or a black and skiied it like a bunch of w***ers.

The three man put most of them off before.

Andy
ski holidays
anderoo, +1
snow report
Pamski wrote:
anderoo, +1

I'm not a local, but as a regular I totally agree Laughing Love the Arbis in particular but never take it for granted (or is that my skiing abiltiy? Probably)
snow report
anderoo, yep.

I am presuming there was some logic behind the positioning decision as "making Chamossiere accessible" wasn't one that was ever going to be popular.

Mind you, late 90s all the rumours were that thez were simply going to remove the Chamossiere (and Chery Nord, possibly even Mont Chery entirely) so it could be worse...
snow report
under a new name, There is still talk (only wispered) that they may give up on Mont Chery in the not too distant future. Something to do with the lease on the land if gossip is to be believed.

The problem that they have is Les Gets loses out on a lot of the PDS cash if Mont Cherie is not kept open till the 1st Week in April, which last season was not an easy achievement.

Anyway lets stop making our mountain popular we might get punters on the other side.

Andy
snow conditions
anderoo wrote:
Shitolai

That lift opened uo last season and all it did was ruin chamosiere for us locals as lots of people saw the new lift and went up it to find they had an option of a red or a black and skiied it like a bunch of w***ers.

The three man put most of them off before.

Andy

errm. sorry Embarassed
snow conditions
Someone/somewhere wanted one of the eggs from the old Chavannes gondola. Yours for 3000 euros a pop..

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2011/08/30/l-incroyable-succes-de-la-vente-des-oeufs-des-gets-vendus-par-un-brocanteur-de-taninges
snow conditions
BergenBergen, I would love one, for old times sake and to annoy my neighbours Toofy Grin There were still quite a few left a few weeks back - €3000 though Shocked
snow report
Any word on the 2012 season???
snow conditions
Yep a whole big thread on it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy