Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Lou,
Quote:

If I lived there I would invest in some skins!

well my excuse must be that we are not here for quite long enough! Had a quick run out this morning, up the Chavannes, Violettes, Nauchet lift and back to the car again, soaked, but we gave it a go. Not my sort of snow as thick and wet and the stop/start variety which my bad foot does not enjoy. Bring back the hard packed slick stuff! The sun did come out this afternoon but we had spent a good few hours having a delicious lunch at the Verdoyant - and yes, last lunch at the GO tomorrow. Bit worried that my posts are usually more about lunching than skiing - must try harder.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pamski wrote:
Bit worried that my posts are usually more about lunching than skiing - must try harder.

Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely conditions this weekend. Everything from calf deep powder to rock hard corduroy. Bright sunshine to white out conditions...

Had a blast.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back this morning from Morzine. We spent 3 days there and only skied Avoriaz in the end.
Friday was very hot, very slushy and busy/cut up pistes. We boarded around the entire resort pretty much as this was our first visit.
After bad reports from other guests about snow conditions in Les gets we decided to stick to Avoriaz on Saturday.
Mainly low vis and heavy snow fall all day long. The snow was mostly wet. That said our gear stood up to that so we didn't get soaked, and the visibility wasn't good but I have had a lot worse. So we still enjoyed ourselves very much.
Sunday was just great. We got on the first lift (litterally..). Blue skies. Snow was hard packed in the early morning, but great after that as the temperatures stayed OK.. We stuck to the Intrets and Choucas areas doing the blues end reds there, and a bit of piste. That was where the best snow was. It got very busy from around 11 am so at 11.45 we bailed for an early lunch. 1 hour later queues had gone down significantly, never to return so we had a blast all afternoon. Great snow, burnt faces.. perfect end to the WE..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just back from a long weekend in Avoriaz from Thursday to Monday. Had a great time with varied snow conditions.

Higher up in avoriaz most slopes are in good nick. Lower runs have suffered a lot from rain and high temperatures.

When we arrived on thursday there was a little bit of damp snow falling higher up. Visibility was poor but we still got a full afternoon on the slopes. On Friday we found fresh powder under the Chavanette lift which was a lucky find. Lots of folk quickly followed our lead so it got tracked out fairly fast. In the afternoon we hiked up from the top of the Arare lift to enjoy a wide untouched powder slope. Thirty minutes of hard climbing followed by less than a minute of powder turns - totally worth it!

There was a moderate amount of fresh snow on higher slopes from friday night into saturday. We had fresh powder over pisted runs for most of saturday morning which was a real treat. Only downside was poorish visibility so we couldn't fully enjoy it.

There was a wicked freeze - thaw on saturday night. I think the freeze happened after the slopes got pisted so the corduroy was literally concrete hard. We were slightly depressed early on but then trekked across a couple of valleys and found a nearly untouched powder bowl a short hike from the top of the chaux-des-rosee lift in Pre-la-joux. We spent nearly all day hiking up and making fresh tracks down again - it was absolutely brilliant.

We returned to chaux-des-rosee for a few more hikes and runs on Monday morning before getting our transfer back to the airport at 1pm.

All in all we were delighted with the conditions we found considering the sort of season it has been in the alps.

For those about to book in portes du soleil - book as high as you can. Whilst avoriaz survived a lot of the rain and sun, the lower slopes are just wrecked. Morzine and Les Gets looked grim so we didn't go to either. We ventured briefly into Les Crosets but it was very brown and slushy so we high tailed it back up higher.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
monkey wrote:
Visibility was poor but we still got a full afternoon on the slopes..
We were there Thursday. Poor visibility was an understatement but as we were only there for three days you couldn't not ski. Dont think we saw you but may have heard you !, there werent many people around.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dont be too hard on us! We woke at 07.00 last Thursday to heavy rain, looked outside and thought a lazy day was the way to go - couple of DVDs nice lunch and dinner and an early night - no skiing. Legs were tired after 4 fullish days and we managed to be on first lifts in Verbier on Friday.

To be honest Thursday looked horrible and anyone who did a full day deserves some kudos (or a straight jacket!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm back out 1st week of April. I fully expect it to be typical spring skiing. Rattly hard in the morning... lovely for an hour around 11am and then a nice bit of slushy bumps after lunch before finishing at 2pm with some lovely apres ski and an afternoon on the veranda... I love spring!

NB@ If it turns out that it snows loads and I get a few blue-sky powder days like I did on Sunday then I WILL NOT be complaining!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from a week in Avoriaz. Only did mornings and didnt ski Thurs at all. Skied the Chatel side on Fri and was really good BUT the blue back was a nightmare. I wish I'd done any other run the black or red would have been easier. My poor old legs couldnt handle the heavy snow and HUGE slush moguls. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michael B wrote:
My poor old legs couldnt handle the heavy snow and HUGE slush moguls. Crying or Very sad

Trust me, they weren't as big as they could have been wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michael B, we did the same on Friday - and that run back to Lindarets was dire!! Sunday spent a couple of hours in the bowl in Les Gets and then over for a last few runs down the Marmotte on Mt Chery - just one more, just one more... and an excellent lunch at the Grande Ourse. A trip to Flaine on Monday was very worth while - particularly as we were able to ski with a very old friend there - in more ways than one - he will be 90 in a couple of months - and skis beautifully.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski wrote:
he will be 90 in a couple of months - and skis beautifully.

Wow. And all credit.

I humble aspiration is to be skiing into my 70s.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

we were able to ski with a very old friend there - in more ways than one - he will be 90 in a couple of months - and skis beautifully.

snowHead brilliant.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michael B wrote:
HUGE slush moguls. Crying or Very sad

They WERE huge weren't they? The were also mimic'd on the other side where the red down to Plaine Dranse was pretty dire by 2pm. The conditions from the top down to the last tier "just" above Plaine Dranse were lovely (the best I can remember this year) but as soon as it flattened out, it became slushy bump time.

After a day skiing over in Avoriaz, my legs were shot by the time we got down to Plaine Dranse and both my wife and I decided to take a very scenic chair ride down to the car park. The embarrasment was offset by the look in our friends eyes who had decided to ski all the way down to the car park (to say they were a little tired would be the understatement of the year)... Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looked at the Avoriaz webcam and they have CARS back in the village. That must be a record for this point in the season. There is not much snow in the village where you normally ski between the apartments either!!! I looked yesterday and there was a good covering of snow on the roofs, but today it has all gone. Easter could be a nightmare this year. i feel for anyone heading out i really do Sad
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, when I was out in January you could tell that the end of the season was going to be really poor. There was not a good enough base and the lack of snow for 4 weeks meant that although it snowed well and conditions were better in Feb it was always going to go downhill in late March. With Easter so late people will have to take up mountain biking
ski holidays
chrisb, there could be literally nothing left come the end of April (Easter) at this rate. Mountain bikes and walking boots could well be the order of the day at this rate! Like you say there is no base for the snow to fall onto. When I looked at the avoriaz webcam I thought it was a shot of may last year!!! Can't believe the cars are back in the village, that is very early!!! Fingers crossed for some serious snowfall.
snow report
when i was there last week, it looked like they were clearing the roads of snow. The upper pistes were fine but the lower ones got slushy around midday but thats what spring is like.
snow conditions
Lets be quiet clear. The upper slopes are absolutely fine. NOTHING to worry about. When I skied down Fornet on Sunday, there was fresh powder up to my calfs. YES, it could do with some snow but I dont think its as dire as some make out.
ski holidays
I wouldn't be surprised if we find that April and May are the snowiest on record, though I don't have any evidence to point to that this year. If it did happen it will present problems too. Its getting a bit late to make a difference low down but should be fine high up, i would have thought.

Unfortunately the most interesting skiing is often on the lowest runs in a resort.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we find that April and May are the snowiest on record, though I don't have any evidence to point to that this year. If it did happen it will present problems too. Its getting a bit late to make a difference low down but should be fine high up, i would have thought.

Unfortunately the most interesting skiing is often on the lowest runs in a resort.

Really? I think from a Piste perspective, you cant beat the Coupe De Monde. It was so good on Sunday that I was up and down it twice before 10.45am! From an off-the-side perspective, the Area to the left of le Fornet is one of my favourite in the whole of the PDS (dont really do "real" off-piste right now) Both would be considered "higher up"
latest report
Markoncarp, Monday to Thursday is a long time, especially in the current conditions. When I looked at the webcam On Tuesday there was a good 3-5 inches of snow on the roof. Yesterday there was nothing, all gone. Look at the webcams and where you normally ski through the town, there is Tarmac!!! I don't doubt you about the higher slopes, but how long this will last is a different story. As others have said there isnt a solid and decent base now somewhat falls will soon be gone anyway.'down in morzine the runs must be very slushy etc. Hopefully a lot of people will have realised that because Easter is so late this year, they booked to go in feb instead so it may not be that busy.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, when I looked on Wednesday last week that tarmac was just as visible. Snow on Thursday and Saturday changed that completely. Absolutely, if there is no more snow, then its going to be tough, but I cant see that happening.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, so when are you booked to be skiing in PDS?

Just back from an excellent morning up in Avoriaz - first lift up from Ardent, Lindarets Express over there and then up the Fornet lift. Bleu de Lac, Arare, Chavanettes all fine early on. Unfortunately the Fornet lift seemed to have a problem around 10.15 which led to big queues on the other lift and lots of people who otherwise would have been spread over more snow! When it started to get busy on that side we went over to the Crot and right down to the bottom, all ok. Top of the Mossettes piste to get back to Ardent very chopped up by 12 but after it splits to go down to the Mossettes lift much smoother back to Lindarets.
Good morning topped off with a drink at the Bout du Lac at Montriond on the way home.
latest report
Pamski, all very interesting, but how was lunch?
latest report
Whitters, skipped it today - just too many lunches in recent days - quick bit of pate and toast on the terrace at home - and you can't really beat our view, even if it is of green hillsides now!
snow conditions
Pamski, I'm not this year, gave it a miss thankfully! Went to Scotland for a week instead with the mrs, had a great time.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
chrisb, there could be literally nothing left come the end of April (Easter) at this rate. Mountain bikes and walking boots could well be the order of the day at this rate! Like you say there is no base for the snow to fall onto. When I looked at the avoriaz webcam I thought it was a shot of may last year!!! Can't believe the cars are back in the village, that is very early!!! Fingers crossed for some serious snowfall.

Ricklovesthepowder, IIRC you spent a considerable amount of time 'panicing' about PDS snow last season? Maybe best leave it to the peeps who are there to keep us informed - yup I check webcams myself frequently but know enough now not to rely on them. Some of the best skiing I've had in Les Gets has followed slightly alarming webcam views seen before leaving UK. Piste management is second to none there and many other resorts.
It's not a good season this year, in France at any rate, but please leave any doom & gloom to the people who can give an honest report.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou, I dont think "panicing" is the right word. When you are going on holiday of course I take great Interest in the snow reports etc, who wouldn't? You have just totally contradicted yourself, you say that it has not been a great year for France, which it clearly hasn't, then you say the conditions could be great, so leave it to the people who can give an honest report. The fact is that for the best part of this month the conditions from previous years, are looking well below par. If it was the end of april and the conditions were like this then it would be normal, but for the whole of march there has been skiing with grass coming through in places and very poor surface conditions and rain, even at higher elevations. How do I know this, well I know of 3 different sets of people who have been out to the PDS and do so on a yearly basis, including myself who say that the conditions are very poor at the minute. The fact is that the webcams do not lie, part if the reason why they are there, so people can make there own judgement. Don't get me wrong, I would still go skiing there at the minute, but as conditions really good etc, the simple answer is no they are not. Stop trying to kid yourself and others. At the minute the skiing is not great, but with a month of the seaon still remaining, a lot could change. This is the Alps after all.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

I'm not this year

well that's a good thing isn't it.
Avoriaz again fine first thing this morning, couple of hours on Fornet, Chavanettes, Coupe du Monde and down to Prodains a couple of times - job done. So worthwhile to get out early.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I am not trying to kid myself and others rolling eyes

I (and I'm sure the people who are due to go soon) would just rather read reports from people who are actually there not speculating from this end. I didn't say it 'could be great' - my point is that you cannot always judge piste conditions from webcam images.
For example I know Les Gets/Morzine very well having skied there early, mid and late season for a number of years, but there would be little benefit in me coming on here at the moment and giving a report from deepest Sussex Puzzled
ski holidays
I'll make the observation that, despite conditions being far from great, MrsFS managed to ski untracked powder on three occassions last week - all from lift accessed terrain and without hiking.

Conditions are sometimes a matter of fact; sometimes a matter of opinion. But mostly just a matter of knowing where and when to ski.

(And please don't ask where she skied - I'm not going to tell you.)

Personally, I think the snow is holding up remarkably well given the lack of base.

I'd agree with anyone who says that it's been a far from inspiring season. But, having also skied in Flaine, Megeve, most of Chamonix and Tignes, it's not been inspiring anywhere.

It's been far from a catastrophe though.
snow report
Definitely worth getting out early.....especially if you are on the Swiss side! We have been teaching all week and although things are not great over here in Champery it's just skiable! The stade is fine, but looks like Ripaille, Chavanette, Grand Conche and Planachaux will shut at the end of tomorrow. This leaves the Les Crosets 8 man chair open and Mossettes (Swiss) it's very sad for everyone over here on holiday and working. I am staying positive and fingers crossed for some more snow soon. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Coming to the end of a varied week out in PDS. Last Sun & Mon pleasantly surprised by quality of skiing and snow cover. Great skiing in Avoriaz and Linga though little snow on the Swiss side. Had a 3 day 'break' in Valdisere tues-thurs staying at Chalet Chardon in Tignes Les brev which I thoroughly recommend for a cheap and cheerful stay. The conditions were superb and proved how important altitude is in a poor snow year, in addition Val in particular seems to have had snow from Italy whereas other Tarentaise resorts have missed out-so I was told.
Anyhow back to PDS Fri and today - boy how things have changed during a week of unremmiting sunshine and heat. Skied Les Gets and Morzine yesterday [Friday]. A lot of closed pistes, patches of tarmac and grass. At least it was quiet and providing you enjoy slushy moguls and pistes you can have a good ski. Not much on the Morzine side however better ski on Chammosiere[best new chair award] and Nyon and back down to Let Gets though got soaked in a puddle at the end. If no new snow soon then I cannot see the area remaining open beyond 1-2 weeks [Mont Chery appeared shut]
Avoriaz today and again there has been a major deterioration in conditions. A very humid snow pack though some great slushy moguls in the fornet area. Linga has the best skiing, happy valley still living up to its name. The run down to Villapeyron still in great condition with the bonus of a French national moguls competition to watch. For anybody coming out this week I would avoid Let Gets/Morzine, start the day at Ardent and head over Linga.
snow conditions
summer, retsil, thanks for your brilliant and truthfull reports that you have given, it seems that a webcam image usually does show the reality of the situation, and your reports confirmed the disapointing scenes from the webcam. I just really feel sorry for people that have booked to go out there in the next few weeks, and at this rate, there will be nothing left come Easter week, thats 4 weeks away!!! Lets hope that there is a good dumping of snow soon, or else it could be the longest summer for quite a few years in the PDS Sad
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, Whats the hang up with Easter. Most resorts closing dates are fixed based on the historic snow records. The lower resorts of the Chablais will close next weekend as they did last year and the year before irrespective of when Easter fell.. Chatel will extend to about the third week of April but as their web site said at the beginning of the season this is conditional on snow. The last two years have given good snow up to the closing dates but the resorts didnt stay open past that date because of the logistics involved. The advice on Snowheads is always go high late in the season. Would you book Avoriaz third week of April whether its Easter or not ? , I suspect many of the TO's will have gone home by then.
snow report
I am reading this thread on a daily basis as I have done all season. I love the up to date reports from those who are there and those have just got back. I am not so keen on the arm chair pundit’s reports of how conditions are; to be honest I don’t really care what someone thinks of the conditions when they are commenting on it from many miles away. But that’s the joy of a forum on the internet.

Being a “glass half full” guy I think it will be great when I get out there in a few weeks. The dump we had in April 2009 was incredible.

I suppose I should conclude by saying if you think it’s going to be rubbish don’t go. I for one will be most grateful of that. And if the snow goes then pass me the mountain bike or lets plan a hike… either way it beats the office.
snow report
BergenBergen wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, Whats the hang up with Easter. Most resorts closing dates are fixed based on the historic snow records. The lower resorts of the Chablais will close next weekend as they did last year and the year before irrespective of when Easter fell.. Chatel will extend to about the third week of April but as their web site said at the beginning of the season this is conditional on snow. The last two years have given good snow up to the closing dates but the resorts didnt stay open past that date because of the logistics involved. The advice on Snowheads is always go high late in the season. Would you book Avoriaz third week of April whether its Easter or not ? , I suspect many of the TO's will have gone home by then.

Hope you don't mind me jumping onto your thread.

Tignes always closes first week in May, after a French holiday, irrespective of the snow conditions. If the snow is fantastic the lifts still close as all the pisteures, lifties etc are out of contract.
The date of Easter has nothing to do with it
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, why does it sound as though you are actually enjoying the fact that conditions have deteriorated this week?
snow conditions
summer, I'm out a the weekend if you fancy a tele-slide. I'm available on Friday and Sunday. (I've got alpine training arranged for Saturday.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy