Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2010-11 USA REPORT (Tahoe/Sierra Nevada)

Poster: A snowHead
Nice conditions this morning in southlake with about a foot of new snow @heavenly.
Limited lift ops so far.
Stagecoach and olympic were awesome @ 9.
Ill edit in a picture later.

monday phone pic

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 16-03-11 22:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kirkwood was like a case of spousal abuse today - some runs hitting chunked debris felt like being kicked in the knees and smacked in the jaw simultaneously but then a couple of creamy turns would make you fall in love again so you just couldn't walk away. Highest moisture content "pow" I've skied in a while.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What started out nice at Heavenly turned to potentially knee wrenching slop lower down later in the day as the snow line rose. An excursion into the trees near the Powderbowl Express at the close of play wasn't the best choice of the day, though marginally less endangering to one's wellbeing then skiers left of the Gunbarrel Chair! Perhaps it was an afternoon for staying high up and retreating gracefully down the Gondola...

Standing in the rain outside California Lodge this afternoon I got a text telling me gleefully that CairnGorm Mountain was the snowiest resort in the world today. rolling eyes

Maybe CML should pay me to stay out here the rest of the season! Toofy Grin

Should be more fresh high up Tuesday, but more rain at lake level then the FL should be coming down. Looks promising for Kirkwood Wed, Thursday could be a bluebird at the 'wood. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, did you get to Kirkwood or anywhere today? Squaw was well WET! Wind shut down the upper mountain entirely so play was limited to more or less below the snowline. Was snowing just at the top of KT22 which gives me hope for Kirkwood for the next couple of days, forecast looking more promising - road permitting!

^A bit Scottish at the top of the KT22 Express!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kirkwood was quite windbuffed & nice where you could see (vis was a bit of an issue on 10) and super sticky when hitting the rainline i.e. bottom 20m or so of Eagle Bowl. Nearly double ejected on the meadowskip down Chair 2 as it was so manky but Sunnyside at the same altitude had been filled in nicely.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moved some of the resourses from the first page to second.

5day precip forecast

current radar

pacific/us/atlantic water vapor

48 hour precip forcast
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Things are really cranking up weatherwise.
Squaw received 24" in the last day.
Big storm forecasted to come in tommorrow night.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, what a beautiful day. There are some magical places on Earth, this is one of them...

The full mountain open to explore yesterday's fresh. Not had a chance to sort through the photos in any meaningful way, but here's a few. Last night in Tahoe and what a day to end it. Will be in the Bay Area for a bit, might organise a cheeky day trip if the weather breaks after this incoming storm!

^Wagon Wheel Bowl from the top of Chair 5 - Heart Chute under the bullwheel.

^Looking out to Chair 2 from the top of the Cornice Express.

^Lookout Vista T-bar after the initial rush to it had dispersed.

Loved the slightly wind packed powder on the Thunder Saddle side of Lookout Vista which was getting loose powder blown in all afternoon. Similarly the Wall started catching a steady top up of windblown fresh later in the afternoon and was great fun as it smoothed out the earlier tracks. Pick of the groomers for me would have to be Conestoga today. Though Chair 4 was great for a cruise about too.

Got round every lift, including Chair 9!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad mother nature let up a little for you.
Thanks for adding some pictures to the thread.
This coming weekend should be close to epic.
Sunday especially. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland, Cool - had a great day at Kirkwood Thursday too. Pick for me was the bit between One/Two Man Chute and Vista proper although got some sweet Pali laps in too. Squaw not so great today - wind crusted or nil visibility, take your pick.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now in San Francisco, dry here atm. Was dumping down with big fat flakes in Placerville (about 2100ft I think, Kirkwood base is 7800ft) when the Amtrak bus was stopped there, Highway 50 was black most of the way, snow had turned to rain, then suddenly it started turning back into snow and heavy blowing snow at that further West, seemed to be driving into colder air as we headed West, so the snow is certainly coming! Hope the moisture heading for the Sierras stays in the sky passing over San Francisco the next few days! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Squaw today did not suck. Unfortunately I had to get on the road by 1pm and now am sat at SFO while the 100inch week storm continues to puke. Bet that's more than some places all season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The entire long term forecast (10 day) is for continued snowfall.
Some resorts in tahoe have already passed the 500" mark.
(Edit: kirkwood just passed the 600" mark for the season)
Heavenly was uncrowded heaven today.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kirkwood passes 7ft in 72hours....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mammoth...
ski holidays
^ Astonishing photo.

The snow in western North America and Japan is nearly always so much better than the European Alps and the photo says why.
ski holidays
Winterhighland wrote:
Kirkwood passes 7ft in 72hours....

That's the Spur fugged big time then!
ski holidays
A mate just forwarded me this...
snow conditions
Ok - any tips on where to get cheap last minute accommodation for a week in mammoth and best way to get there from LAX? Coming from europe is it best to fly into LAX or SanFran?
That looks too good to pass up...
latest report
^Believe the bove photo is Highway 88 on the Carson Spur side of Kirkwood. The ability of CalTrans to keep the Carson Pass open can be little short of miraculous!
latest report
You can fly direct to Mammoth from San Francisco. No idea about cheap accommodation in that area though, but around Tahoe there is accommodation for every budget in South Lake Tahoe. Even some of the cheap motels are fine, their warm and clean and if your out on the slopes all day that's plenty good enough and there's no shortage of dining options.

Going to Tahoe from San Francisco, I use the Amtrak Capital Corridor + coach link to South Lake Tahoe via Sacramento. You can either pick up an Amtrak coach on the Embarcardo in SF to the train or do what I did which was stay in the Airport South Travelodge at Millbrae overnight, catch an early BART train from there to Richmond and join the Capital Corridor train at Richmond interchange. It's a damn sight cheaper than flying to Reno and it's a great trip climbing up into the mountains from Sacramento when your sitting back and watching the scenery rather than driving! Just close your eyes if you sit on the right hand side of the bus and don't like heights when going down the Meyer's Grade into the Tahoe Basin on highway 50! Skullie
snow report
Something very rare today, Kirkwood StormBound! All lifts shut and Highway 88 remains blocked both sides with no EOT. Seasons I was out there for the winter, knew the road to be blocked some days, but there was never a single day Kirkwood failed to spin at least some lifts (Powerhouse going up in smoke excepted!). Anyway, Kirkwood has broken the 10ft mark from this storm, report stands at 130" since this all kicked off!
snow report
Many local resorts closed today due to drifting snow.
Sguaw... alpine meadows...sugarbowl.
Couple more waves expexted before an end on wed.
Riding tommorrow.
snow conditions
Great day yesterday.
Will add a pic later
(From kirkwood.com)
Snow Stats Sunday 03/27/11

Last 24 Hours

4-6"

Last 48 Hours

64-70"

Storm Total

145-159"

Last 7 Days

164-183"

Seasonal Total Range

691-713"

Base Depth

229- 273"

ski holidays
So bit of an april update... V changeable - went from this, pow time on Thursday:

Me enjoying some trees

to this, glorious spring snow today (Tuesday):
[/url]
snow conditions
Last 7 Days

164-183"

Wow!!! I am heading out to America next year!
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, that makes two of us Cool lake tahoe was first on my list of usa areas to ski next year Very Happy , dont want to hijack this thread so will post a few questions about this area in the piste

snowHead
snow conditions
Neilski, i will be going on my own so if you are then i would happily book together, especially as your local (ish) Lake tahoe is up there but so is Colorado as well. Vail/brekenridge/aspen/beavercreek etc. If your up for it keep me updated etc. Some of the photos are amazing that i have seen snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, will pm you re plans etc , after i have a some firm ideas snowHead
snow conditions
Neilski, sounds like a plan, cheers. Very Happy
ski holidays
Neilski, post the link to your questions and I'll see if I can help...

BTW - the video was in Squaw and the corn was in Alpine Meadows.
snow report
Longboard day at kirkweed today.
I rode about a week ago.
It was a mild temp corn harvest day.
I've been spending free time putting up my larger kites till tjhe water warms up.
We are expecting some snow and cool weatjer so tje warm-up is on hold
ski holidays
RichardJHJ, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75968&highlight=. Cheers
snow conditions
I think 4 resorts in tahoe will be spinning lifts july 4th weekend.
(In addition to mammy)
Squaw, alpine meadows, sugar bowl and kirkweed will be open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy