Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Uplift?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the "Best Run" thread, what's your favourite method of getting to the top in the first place? Be it skins, autogyro, train or lift?

Starting off, my favourite may well be the train from Lauterbrunnen to KS...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kleine Matterhorn cable car - view of the glaciers
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Love the Aiguille de Midi... valley floor to high mountain in the blink of an eye
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eurocopter "A-star"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fisrt lift of the holiday - chairl lift. To see the freshly goomed piste below. it will of course be empty as we are on the 1st lift Little Angel Just not the same in an enclosed space.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helicopter
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This one.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
This one.

I was just about to post that, you beat me to it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wildsmith wrote:
Kleine Matterhorn cable car - view of the glaciers

Agreed - and the new gondola taking you up to the cable car from the village in one go is pretty special too, particularly compared to the slow and fragmented journey up there before.

Another favourites is the 'Lessieres' (I think) chairlift at Val D'Isere - the one that takes you up over the ridge and all the way back down again. Hearing the screams when people don't know what to expect (or even if they do) when they go over the peak is like something from Alton Towers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, trust you to come up with that Laughing

Heiligenblut Tunnelbahn - it is not the best lift in terms of views for reasons which will become apparent...but is one of the most memorable lifts I've ever used. It was a contraption which can best be described as a gondola "train". It didn't travel overground in the normal way but went underground through a tunnel which was used for the channeling of water in the summer months. Reminded me of ghost train rides when I was a kid.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
juliad wrote:
rob@rar, trust you to come up with that Laughing

Just couldn't help myself Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gd renard, les arcs - old slow and useless, but avoids the gapers good and proper..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Schindlergrat chairlift is ace - old old open rusty two or three man, but the views as you go over the ridge are awesome.

Or a heli/snowcat/snowmobile. Reindeer riding would be pretty sweet too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
The Schindlergrat chairlift is ace - old old open rusty two or three man, but the views as you go over the ridge are awesome.

However it can be damn cold, as we experienced in March this year Skullie
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not an uplift but the first time i got that chair from le fornet over the top into val was pretty special
ski holidays
nothing beats getting on the old beat up singleman chair at glencoe Very Happy

it's probably the slowest lift in scotland, well apart from the chairlift at Hillend!
latest report

snow conditions
Arno, Ah La Grave, yes.
(I've only done a few single days from there to Alp d'Huez)
ski holidays
I like old creaky wooden chairlifts. It reminds me of a simpler time in my life. Very Happy
snow report
What? Before you were old and creaky? Laughing
snow conditions
maggi, indeed! Laughing
ski holidays
Eurocopter "A-star" another vote for that. Actually some times it's nice to get the old thighs burning and hike

ski holidays
I love the sound a chairlift makes as it goes over a pylon.
snow report
Whitters wrote:
Another favourites is the 'Lessieres'

Yup - like that one

Also the second stage of the cable car at St Anton that goes over the huge valley
ski holidays
i guess someone had to drag (sic) the thread down to another level Wink

back on topic, used to like the lift in Mayrhofen. 1 pylon along the entire lengh (excluding the essential bits at each end), and it goes round a slight corner for effect (enhanced if there's someone with serious vertigo in the cabin).

also used to like the old quad chair at champoussin. like a moonscape up there, and not a single sound to be heard (except the rattle when the chair goes over the pulleys).
snow report
andy, Is that the main Penken lift?
snow conditions
the little downhill poma by the middle station in ischgl is fun - doesnt really count as uplift though!
latest report
The modern detachable 6 or 8 man chairs especially if you get one to yourself Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski holidays
^^^ poser
snow conditions
The Carpark T-bar on CairnGorm Mountain when there's a class of beginners in front and you get to the downhill section! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Top ticket on GM Chamonix, especially on a powder day, the level of excitement is electric.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy