Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2011 beer prices

Poster: A snowHead
Now this is bad news.

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/news/beer-price-hike-for-austria/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scooped

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66955&highlight=
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
see also
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1593623#1593623
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh well, didn't notice, and thought this was news of such gravity it needed to be reported asap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob wrote:
Oh well, didn't notice, and thought this was news of such gravity it needed to be reported asap.

Yes, since it relates to the cost of beer it certainly had gravity (but not original). wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You carry on jbob, that was a valuable contribution. A 5% increase? Is that all. That means the usual 3.30 Euro large beer might go up to 3.50 or something. Still 4 or 5 Euros behind french fizz.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:

Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Well, the cheapest places to head for are Schladming, Bad Kleinkirchheim and Brixental (access to the Kitzbuhel and SkiWelt ski areas) – typical beer prices here are around 2.5 euros. So, even with a price-hike you’ll still be enjoying a relatively good-value drink.

You’ll pay a bit more in the upper-end destinations, such as Ischgl – but even here, the typical small beer price is less than 4 euros. Compare that with prices in Switzerland, where small beers in Zermatt are typically 4.5 euros or more.

that's from the linked article. Surely a SMALL beer in Ischgl isn't 4 euros? Or do they mean 500 cls, which to my mind is a big beer? If it's 4 euros for half that it's more expensive than anywhere I ski in France (though granted the beer might be better in Austria; I'm no connoisseur)

Presumably the same push factors will put the price up everywhere?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:
Well, the cheapest places to head for are Schladming, Bad Kleinkirchheim and Brixental (access to the Kitzbuhel and SkiWelt ski areas) – typical beer prices here are around 2.5 euros. So, even with a price-hike you’ll still be enjoying a relatively good-value drink.

You’ll pay a bit more in the upper-end destinations, such as Ischgl – but even here, the typical small beer price is less than 4 euros. Compare that with prices in Switzerland, where small beers in Zermatt are typically 4.5 euros or more.

that's from the linked article. Surely a SMALL beer in Ischgl isn't 4 euros? Or do they mean 500 cls, which to my mind is a big beer? If it's 4 euros for half that it's more expensive than anywhere I ski in France (though granted the beer might be better in Austria; I'm no connoisseur)

Presumably the same push factors will put the price up everywhere?

This is about right in my experience as well. There is also a seriously cheap bar in Ischgl (<5 euros for 2x 500ml beers a couple of years ago) but it's away from the main bars, so it's not that busy and easy to miss. I also don't remember the name of it, because we called it the quiet bar.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hmm I just booked a 4 days in Schladming - according to this article best place for cheap beer. Only 2.5Euro. Nice Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

best place for cheap beer. Only 2.5Euro

if that,s a 250 cl beer it's the same price wot I pay at my favourite French caff, though it is admittedly a bit more in the ones where you can sit by a nice fire. Not a lot more, though. If it's a 500ml beer, it's a super bargain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone been to Zakopane ?
A supposedly beautiful "chocolate box" ski area in Poland, with shops from armani to whatever, and very decent Polish beer at £2 a pint if you dont mind sir !.
(flight,transfer, hotel,ski pass all in £250). it does snow there doesnt it ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is usually 0.5l in Austria.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A small beer in Austria and southern Germany is always a 0.5litre. A few wimps and posers in places "oop norf" have 0.25litre beers served in vases = Kölsch for example. Even the bottles you buy are 0.5l and it is often cheaper to buy a crate of 24 bottles if you are self-catering (difficult to smuggle into hotels sometimes Laughing )

So normally when you ask for a beer in the German speaking Alps you always get 0.5litre.

I got charged 7.20 Euro for a beer in a hotel in Belfort this summer. In a bottle, warm and only 0.33l - I was seriously ripped off as it was only a Heinekin or something similar and warm! Embarassed Next day I bought my own at the supermarket before checking in!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
limegreen1,
I don't think is it worth going just for skiing. Lots of very very small - literally 1 lift + 1 piste - areas, and all have different ski pass, extremely busy, 30min wait for lift is not unusual; you will need to use lots of crowded buses etc.
There is a gondola and 2 chairs up to the high mountain with some good freeriding terrain, but it was closed until February/March last winter because of lack of snow !! as no snowmaking is allowed there.

Yes food is nice and cheap, girls are pretty, beer probably around 1.5£. It might be good if you have some polish friends and want to experience something different. Otherwise I would not bother just for skiing.

There a better places around Zakopane but again small and busy.

You might look at Slovakia just across the border. Jasna for example is bigger and better.
http://www.jasna.sk/resort/maps/en/winter/

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 23-09-10 15:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Thanks Tom........... with beer at 1.5£ I think all the girls will be pretty ! wink
snow report
Agree Very Happy
Night life might be quite busy there.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
A small beer in Austria and southern Germany is always a 0.5litre. A few wimps and posers in places "oop norf" have 0.25litre beers served in vases = Kölsch for example. Even the bottles you buy are 0.5l and it is often cheaper to buy a crate of 24 bottles if you are self-catering (difficult to smuggle into hotels sometimes Laughing )

So normally when you ask for a beer in the German speaking Alps you always get 0.5litre.

I got charged 7.20 Euro for a beer in a hotel in Belfort this summer. In a bottle, warm and only 0.33l - I was seriously ripped off as it was only a Heinekin or something similar and warm! Embarassed Next day I bought my own at the supermarket before checking in!

So what's a big beer then? I always thought small was 0.3l, or a Pfiff at 0.2l and a large 0.5l.
ski holidays
Sitter, I guess that'll be 1litre then Very Happy
ski holidays
NehNeh Don't think I've ever seen anybody drinking 1l beers, that's almost 2 pints, and whenever I've ordered a small beer it's been 0.3l Confused
latest report
Sitter, obviously never been to the Oktoberfest or maybe even Bavaria then Laughing

Make mine a Maß Bitte! Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

So what's a big beer then? I always thought small was 0.3l, or a Pfiff at 0.2l and a large 0.5l.

Sitter, you are right. Order a large beer and you get the 0.5 and a small beer is 0.3

This summer I was paying 3 - 3.50 Euros for large on draft. Some places have 0.5 bottles for 2.50 - 2.80. I took my consumer research very seriously.

I have never seen the point of a pfiff - think some dandies just like to look sophisticated.
latest report
So never having skied in Austria before I'm off to St Anton at half term. Not the cheapest I guess but how much can I expect to pay there?
snow conditions
Last Winter I paid between 3.80 and 5 Euros for 0.5l (large beer?!?!) in the bars in town I think. Beer and seasonnaire discounts blur the memory somewhat! About 3 Euros for a small beer. Mountain prices weren't much more from what I remember. If I remember nearer the time, when I'm back in resort at the end of November I'll post up prices in various bars.
snow report
Colin B, order a beer and it will be a half litre, order a small beer and it will be 0.25l. But you'll look a bit girlie - don't want to say a wimp! Laughing

As for the prices - who knows - the Mooserwirt has to pay for all the building work that's been done and the KK has to make up its losses when it tried to woo the customers away from the Mooserwirt with lap or was it pole dancers.

I pay 3 Euro a half litre in my hotel weekdays and a Maß at the Oktoberfest is a horrendous 8.90 Euros. Way over the top but the beer is specially brewed and much stronger than usual. And of course it is a captive audience once you are in the tents.
ski holidays
I wouldn't say that Schladming is the cheapest around here for a beer....
The writer of the article from the OP (Wendy King) stayed with us a couple of seasons ago and was paying me only €1.50 for a bottle!
I have seen sense and put the price up though!

I know of only a handful of places that have beer sub €3 (some in town and some on a mountain). I think the average is between €3 - €3.50.
The nightclub in Radstadt now charge €3.70 for a draught beer... and even the owner knows he is taking the wee-wee!
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, don't think I've ever drunk a half in my life let alone a Pfiff wink I'll have my 14 year old daughter (15 by then) with me though so nothing too extravagant.
latest report
The only reason for a Pfiff is to whet ones whistle whilst waiting...

...say that after a few big beers!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
quite a popular drink in France though a very small beer, probably to help with the Ricard
snow conditions
Don't go to Zakopane for the beer. Poland has just about the worst beer in the world. . Which is crazy since just over the border in Czech and Slovakia it is one of the world's best. I've been hungover after only one or two. What do the polish do to their beer? Austria has to be about the cheapest place in the world for beer when considering the costs of everything else in the country. In a grocery a 0.5l is under a euro. They may as well give it away.
ski holidays
My nephew went skiing in Poland - was part of a trip to visit family of a mate of his, who is second generation Polish immigrant. He enjoyed the cultural experience, and the vodka, but not the skiing. The snow was very poor and he took a lot of the skin off his face when he fell on a piste which was more grass and gravel and rocks than snow. He also found it tedious having to find the money to pay for lifts - I think he said you had to pay every time you went up one. He didn't mention the beer.
ski holidays
Sainsburys and Tescos are full of Polish beer now, no need to go all that way.
ski holidays
Most of the dossers over the park near me are full of polish beer.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
So never having skied in Austria before I'm off to St Anton at half term. Not the cheapest I guess but how much can I expect to pay there?

Cheapest Beer (0.5l) on the hill is happy hour at Taps €3.50

http://www.am-arlberg.info/taps/

You have to be careful at various bars because a lot of large beers which look like 0.5L glasses are only 0.4L !

You can expect to pay between €4 & €5.50 for a 0.5l beer. Mooserwirt expect to pay more.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Kolch may be 0.2l glasses but they keep replacing them when empty (guys go around the hall with a tray of full glasses and appear as soon as you finish the previous one). The idea is that the beer is being drunk at the correct temperature. I've spent many a happy evening in a Brauhaus in Cologne and have no complaints about the size of the glasses.
snow conditions
Cymru am Byth, it's a Bayern vs Köln thing! They have a saying down here that goes on the lines of to be German is good, to be Prussian (any north German state outside of Bavaria) acceptable but the highest accolade is to be Bavarian. A bit like the Welsh/Scottish/Irish and the English Toofy Grin

Personally I find the Kölsch glasses a pain and prefer a half litre glass! As for the replacements, the same happens down here if you have table service. It seems to be superfast here at the Oktoberfest this year, I had to stop them from serving me real beer as I was a designated driver and was drinking alcohol-free (draft as well by the way!). I kept a "lead-free" sticker on my glass to show it had to be replace with "lead-free" Laughing
ski holidays
I was in the army in Germany in the 70's and wouln't be seen dead with a small glass. However I did buy into the Kolsh habbit when I worked in Cologne as the beer is a lot lighter tasting than Pils and really does suffer if it gets warm.

It really was a problem when I got out here as they kept filling my glass as soon as it was empty. Getting up for work the next morning was not a pleasant affair. Still I got to put it all on expenses. Would love to go back to the Xmas market but never seem to have the chance now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy