Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Badly - How to Rectify

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, you seemd much happier on pocket rockets than those B2s Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After a day with Charlotte (Easiski) I now begin to understand this thread. It's all about balance isn't it. Charlotte had us doing long carved turns slowly down everything from blue to black(ish). It works. Or at least I think it did. I have written a "note to self" on the EOSB thread to make sure I remember it for next season. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, RachelQ, Or borrow some go faster ones Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ, Thank you for the kind words. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, You deserve them! Bits of me are still hurting following Monday's lesson (which only goes to prove that I wasn't letting gravity be my friend) and people at work can't work out why I'm shouting "balls" as I go up the stairs!! Many thanks again - Jonathan really got a lot out of your lesson and we are all looking forward to hitting the slopes again next season. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski,

What was the original poster trying to rectify? ...it sounded like he has skied a bit or at least a long time
so I would think he is an intermediate on a plateau..
I thought he needed short swings whereas everyone else thinks he needs basic swings. He sounds a bit to advanced for that...but
it doesn't matter.... It might be nice if he came back on the board and told us...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, I had the impression that he is a fairly experienced skier, who uses the skating step turn to help himself out when he's having a bad day. Actually (just re-read the original post) he doesn't actually ask for advice - but this is Snowheads so he got it anyway - but asked what other people do. It seems that more people go back rather than forward in technique to correct themselves. I would personally always regress to fix myself. Puzzled

bev bish, Hopefully your colleagues will have fun with it at least! Laughing Thanks again for more kind words.

Chris Bish, I would actually say it's more about being "normal" - of course staying in balance on our feet is actually normal (when we're not ski-ing).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry I have not been back to post - I've had a busy couple of weeks at work and at home so have not had the time to browse. Thanks easiski Smile , I do regard myself as fairly experienced - I qualified as an ASSI about 20 years ago, used to race on plastic, and have done 4 seasons as a ski guide, with plenty of free time to explore the off-piste (I was lucky enough to work in Avoriaz, La Plagne, Tignes, and Val Thorens).
Unfortunately that was over 10 years ago so I'm back to being a holiday skier Sad .
I wasn't really after advice on exercises to improve my skiing, but it was nice to get it,I just was interested in how other people get back into the grove. I use skating steps because although you need to be going at a reasonable speed for them to work I can put together the individual actions (changing edges, project weight, etc.) quite deliberately without having to rush the turns and get the feel of the edges and snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry about the double post Embarassed .

Double post eliminated by Moderator, sorry it took so long Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Treble post! wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing Baldly - wear a hat or bandana to avoid sunburn on the top of your head hehehe NehNeh
snow conditions
 Darky
Darky
But sometimes that can look like a funny both on ya head too!... LOL...Jk! Hello there Scarpa, you will know me! Darky! Wink Twisted Evil hehehee
snow report
 Darky
Darky
Boff on ya head I mean! LOL...Silly me! Neh Neh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welcome to snowheads Darky
after about 6 lessons in 4 years, you can imagine what I'm like... well I manage. I'm hoping I'll get lots of pointers on the EOSB. At the moment I parallel fast down blues and bluey blue reds, but as soon as it gets steeper I am back to the snowplough. Quite a few people have reccommended traversing properly... anyone else?
Julia Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
for me, I resort to medium radius turns with a strong rythm - the rythm is the thing that keeps it all together - the medium radius means that I'm not working the skis too agressively and I usually put in a bit of skid to keep the speed control under check - especially good on steeper terrain with icy patches.
ski holidays
You've got the classic warm-up exercise - drag your poles along the ground with your elbows in front of your body.

If you don't feel silly enough doing that (although I'm assured all pro-skiers so that on their warm-up runs) , you could always balance your poles on the backs of your wrists, then position your arms and upper body like you want to carry a tray of beers straight down the slope. Keep your poles in that same position as you ski and 9 out of 10 ski instructors will say you skied that run so much better. Cool

Balancing the poles on the back of your wrists while skiing moguls gets your body in the right position too. That exercise is a bit tricker though, so make your your mate skis behind you and picks up your poles if you drop them! wink
ski holidays
 Darky
Darky
I`ve never skiied before...It`s really interesting though reading this! And I love Snow too...Lot`s of thick white fluffly snow! lol... snowHead Don`t mind me...

Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy