Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB - New look and new name for reps

Poster: A snowHead
Just announced on ski club site:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=7675

So, reps will now be known as leaders.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll stick with my own name for them, I think.....it somehow seems much more appropriate
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always feel it's a trice presumptuous for them to call themselves The Ski Club, they ought to be aware there are other ski clubs around!

Seems to be the *new* Ski Club now though, bit like New Labour ... it'll end in tears! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annoying aspects of modern life #1: people trying to convince you that their 'rebranding exercise' (errr ...... a different coloured jacket and a new logo) is 'important' or 'exciting'. Or indeed anything other than just a colossal waste of time and money.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Same people still acting as reps/leaders though.

I wonder what David Goldsmith thinks of all this?

I did not attend last years AGM, but usually Mr. G raises some interesting points.

Harrumph, harrumph!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Latchico wrote:
I wonder what David Goldsmith thinks of all this?
he might be a little piste off. Or is it a little bit off piste?

Anyway, I hope the logo and the jackets are good because it is the result of years of research and months of preparation apparently!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Anyway, I hope the logo and the jackets are good because it is the result of years of research and months of preparation apparently!

I'm not a fan of the SCGB. I'm especially not a fan of the rep/guiding operation they run. I wouldn't judge their rebranding exercise on the external stuff they have decided to press release, though.

Their problem has been that there is no clear answer to the question "why would I want to join the SCGB?" Elements of the rebrand: sharper focus on holiday assistance and fostering a sense of community through social networking would seem sensible ways to address this one. Snowheads is proof that the latter works as a means of drawing people in. I won't be joining: I don't need to be part of a club in order to ski but I wouldn't write off everything they are doing, either.

It'll be interesting to see how their social web offer works out. If they intend to use it as a recruiting tool (which is what they should have done in the first place) then it will, to some extent, compete with this place. We'll see how that works out. I've wondered at points whether there is a parallel between the Powder Magazine "Daniel" exodus that led to the rise of the TGR forums (TGR still curse the name of some webguy called Daniel who deleted the Powder Mag forum archives) and the events that led to the creation of SHs. The TGR experience would suggest that once an online community moves, it stays until something bad happens and is hard to lure away.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gorilla, I was being sarcastic of course. Yes, there's a helluva lot more to it than rebranding. That's the easy bit. My view of a club is that it is something physical you can turn up to, meet people and do whatever it is the club does - people actually play tennis at a tennis club for example and the members can see the benefits of membership right in front of them. SCGB is more of an association and it's tough selling the benefits because they are mainly intangible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gorilla, have you used the rep/leading set up? I went to Zermatt alone a couple of years ago and found it ideal. On the 2 days I had nothing else on I joined the rep who knew the resort very well (had a place there) and had a great time. I didn't join the off piste days though. It was also qood socially in the evening.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blue jackets that will be easy to follow!! At last! Maybe they were too arrogant to change straight away when they knew at once they cocked up with the green jackets!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I didn't join the off piste days though.

That's what my grouse is, not with any of the other stuff. I'm aware this one has been done to death, though and I don't think that SH would really benefit from my viewpoint on this one.

Bode Swiller, sorry, sarcasm detector on the blink right now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good analysis Gorilla. Will be fun to see how this works out for them. I suspect it will still be member's only though so they'll be fishing in an already very shallow pool and years after the train pulled out of the station.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only reason I would join is compulsion e.g. I really wanted to go on Freshtracks holiday for which membership was mandatory or to enjoy some local "guiding". And for the latter I probably mean more than that which legally they should be doing so its all pretty much moot. I guess I could get the odd sample day of the latter as a freebie and haven't done so far so probably this says something about my readiness to seek it out. I can perfectly see how they fill a niche here but they probably lost the social networking war to other places long ago except in a very "clubby" sense and can't really see the value proposition if you don't use the "leaders" in resort.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The one good thing about the green jackets was that nobody else made jackets that colour so you could recognise a rep from miles away.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Same people still

So won't make a whole heap of difference in the end. I've been amember fo 20 years, worthwhile discounts always pay for membership costs, but I would prefer not to be a member if the discounts were to come through another snowHead Ski snowHead Club snowHead

admin.....
ski holidays
It will be intresting to see how the "Leaders" are recieved in various resorts, as I understand it the vast majority of SCGB "Leaders" have no oficial guide qualifications, by calling them leaders I feel they may be letting themselves in for further legal problems
snow report
^^^ i am pretty ambivalent about the whole club rep/off piste thing but the decision to call themselves leaders does seem odd. i can't see any advantage to it anyway...
ski holidays
roga wrote:
I always feel it's a trice presumptuous for them to call themselves The Ski Club, they ought to be aware there are other ski clubs around!

How do you feel about The Royal Air Force? There's more than one RAF in the world. Also, how about The Alpine Club?

If you get in there first you get to be 'The' whatever, without need of a prefix.
snow report
Arno wrote:
^^^ i am pretty ambivalent about the whole club rep/off piste thing but the decision to call themselves leaders does seem odd. i can't see any advantage to it anyway...

Last time I went on a Ski Club holiday the guys and girls in jackets were called Leaders, so I don't see that much has changed.
snow conditions
Quote:

The one good thing about the green jackets was that nobody else made jackets that colour

The Irish Associatioin of Snow Sports Insructors jacket is the same colour as the old green reps one.
snow conditions
PJSki, i thought they were "reps" - just goes to show how much i know...
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
It will be intresting to see how the "Leaders" are recieved in various resorts, as I understand it the vast majority of SCGB "Leaders" have no oficial guide qualifications, by calling them leaders I feel they may be letting themselves in for further legal problems

Not sure what you know about the laws in all the different countries they operate in that leads you to think that. As I understand it, the Ski Club could have its course recognized (look at the people who run it and the other work they do wink ) but doesn't because it safeguards their leaders' status as amateurs in the eyes the resorts and, perhaps more importantly, in the eye of the law in the various jurisdictions they serve in.
snow report
Arno wrote:
PJSki, i thought they were "reps" - just goes to show how much i know...

They've been called Leaders for years. All that has changed is the the Reps are now called Leaders too.
ski holidays
Will the old green jackets be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:

Apparently the last ones were sent to Afghanistan via a charity, so maybe the green ones will go the same way.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 22-09-10 17:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
PJSki, not sure about laws just one of those things that nags at the back of the head, probably something I read a long time ago that I can't quite recall now Embarassed
latest report
PJSki wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Apparently the last ones were sent to Afghanistan via a charity, so maybe the the green ones will go the same way.
What "Help for Heroes" ?
It's a right bugger the treasury wont shell out for proper kit. That would explain why there have been so many casualties. I don't think that particular shade of lurid green is going to help much though.
Maybe someone should suggest at the next AGM that the next batch be a more sandy-beige colour?

Now, who do we know goes to the AGM?
latest report
admin wrote:
PJSki wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Apparently the last ones were sent to Afghanistan via a charity, so maybe the the green ones will go the same way.
What "Help for Heroes" ?
It's a right bugger the treasury wont shell out for proper kit. That would explain why there have been so many casualties. I don't think that particular shade of lurid green is going to help much though.
Maybe someone should suggest at the next AGM that the next batch be a more sandy-beige colour?

Now, who do we know goes to the AGM?

I knew someone was going to come out with something like this. I'm just surprised it came from someone as intelligent as you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You flatter me kind sir...

I've used my intelligence quota up for today - sorry Confused

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 22-09-10 17:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
admin wrote:
I've used my intelligence quota up for today - sorry Wink

Yeah, but really, forces casualties isn't a subject to inject humour into. There is some very dark humour in there, but that is a matter only for those directly involved.
latest report
admin wrote:
I've used my intelligence quota up for today - sorry Confused
and you've only just got up
snow report
Has the date been announced for the trial of the rep in Switzerland?
ski holidays
boredsurfin, as of the last AGM no. The Swiss seem to move at glacial speed and I wouldn't be surprised if the story never came out. Evidently they run private and criminal prosecutions all in concert and deals get done.
latest report
Apparently the last ones were sent to Afghanistan via a charity, so maybe the green ones will go the same way.[/quote]

"THE" Scgb jackets in Kandahar ! . a marketing coup
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Has the date been announced for the trial of the rep in Switzerland?

Are you saying that the Swiss have decided that there will be a trial?
snow conditions
PJSki wrote:
roga wrote:

How do you feel about The Royal Air Force? There's more than one RAF in the world. Also, how about The Alpine Club?

If you get in there first you get to be 'The' whatever, without need of a prefix.

Haven't really thought about it oh defender of *The* Ski Club but personally I preferred it when they called themselves The Ski Club of Great Britain ... although at the time (and on the basis of the last membership stats I saw) they would be more accurately named The Ski Club of Southern England (with a few northern bods thrown in) but I guess it's not such a natty title that one NehNeh
ski holidays
roga wrote:
..... I preferred it when they called themselves The Ski Club of Great Britain ... although at the time (and on the basis of the last membership stats I saw) they would be more accurately named The Ski Club of Southern England (with a few northern bods thrown in) but I guess it's not such a natty title that one NehNeh

On the same basis Southern England (with a few northern bods thrown in) snowHeads wouldn't be all that clever, either. Considering that the UK itself is Southern England (with a few northern bods thrown in) - I think the old SCGB title (which I rather liked) was reasonable.
snow report
Yes, they shouldn't fool with their name. Carphone Warehouse don't sell carphones anymore and they don't operate out of warehouses but changing it would lose them business. There was nothing wrong with SCGB - it did the job for over a hundred years.
latest report
I find their repping service occasionally usefull. I don't like skiing alone, and while 95% of the time I go skiing with the same group as I always have, on the other occasions I head for a resort that has a rep.

It doesn't always work out. Last March in Whistler I was the only person skiing with the rep and I would have preferred a bigger group to add to the fun.

If I was able to find people through this site I would use that instead. Skiing in Chamonix this Xmas and so far have secured someone to ski with on Xmas day only as the other person doesn't arrive until then and I'm there the week leading up to it.

As for being pompous about the name, shouldn't the RFU add English to their title? NehNeh
snow report
Quote:

As for being pompous about the name, shouldn't the RFU add English to their title?
the sport was invented in England though eh?

England & Wales Cricket Board... ECB Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy