Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advise on new skis please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am just about to buy my first pair of skis (so excited) and wanted some advise of you all. I have been looking at a couple but if you have any better suggestions please let me know. I quite like the K2 Sweet Luv, and also the Atomic cloud 6. But being relatively new to skiing I am only going off advise I have been given in shops. Please help?! xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Kay, it may be useful if you provide some more details about yourself - height / weight / type of skier and what kind of skiing you like to do. The skis you mention appear to be entry level recreational piste skis which i know little about, i am sure some people will be along soon with some recs though. Also do you have your own boots?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, yeah I have my own boots that I got properly fitted so thats all sorted, this is my first season as a skier, I am an ex boarder, (not a very good one though, having had a bad fall and damaging my coccyx!), I live not far from Tamworth so the skis are mainly going to be used at the snowdome, but with sking holidays once or twise a year. I am quite tall at 5"8 and weight 11 stone, On the mountain we mainly stay on piste but do like the option to do a little exploring, all my friends are boarders so they do spend alot of time in the parks, but I think I will be just holding the camera!! I really want a ski that will move me up to the next level and boost my confidence, I would say I am at rec standard at the moment looking at improving to intermediate over the next couple of seasons.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The K2 Luv series are pretty nice for beginner/intermediate skiers. Certainly good for confidence building, although I don't quite know what the upcoming models will be like as K2 have gone a little "rocker" mad this year. Maybe the True Luv if you are looking for something to go beyond your ability level at the moment? The Volkl Attiva series are meant to be very nice as well... but pricey. Or you've got the Head Cool One, or perhaps Fine One (it's a bit stiffer). The Cloud series are a good bet too though. I don't think there is a massive difference between 6 & 7 so you'd probably be looking at 6 or 8.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you live near Tamworth can you try some there? I know you can from Ellis Brigham at the other snow domes. At 5'8 you can try men's or unisex skis as well, not all women prefer women's skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Women's skis are specifically designed for women. They are lighter, generally softer in the shovel and the binding position is set further forward to help initiate the turn. Particular for Kay B's requirements I'd be very wary of going anywhere near a mans ski...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Motions, i agree with your discription on womans skis to a point but, what do you mean by "mans" ski? in most cases skis are unisex. They're designed for different riders and terrain, not sex.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 25-09-10 16:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'd be very wary of going anywhere near a mans ski...

wtf??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what he said
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kay B, What a dilemma! I have skied on 'mens' and 'womens' skis and TBH I haven't a clue about the difference. IMO the women's skis I have hired were things like K2 Lotta Luv's [IIRC] which were ok. Have also had Rossi Z3s which I liked, but then I got Rossi Z9s [or something] which were men's skis and they were fine. Generally women's are lighter, so bendier. However, since I am a plump pixie, I've got enough gravity turbo to flex anything really... The main thing that puts me off women's skis is that they can be a bit too girly when it comes to graphics, but that is not really what you need to know...
Good luck - there will be plenty of advice to come.

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Women of Snowheads, don't get suckered into the marketing. Just because some skis are labeled "womens" and are pink with flowers doesn't mean every other ski out there is a mans ski. If its not a childs or womens ski, its a unisex ski. so dont believe you're stuck with pinks and flowers.

demo and test. Most shops in the UK will allow you to demo at an indoor slope and most shops in resort will allow you to demo before you buy.

Choose your skis to fit your ability, weight and the terrain you ski, not your sex.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dot., Agreed and since when have all women been the same anyway? I haven't loved any women's skis I've tried until recently when I tried a pair of Volkl Fuegos which were great. Makes me think it's more due to individual skis, I've loved all the Volkls I've skied and ski Vokl Bridges (men's skis Shocked ) as my every day ski. I also have Marker Schizo bindings on my skis which have confirmed to me that I do not like forward mounting points.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kay B, the best thing to do is demo a few pairs. The K2 women's range is quite good (not just for beginners and intermediates) as is the Volkl Attiva series. Only you will know what suit you best, but do look more at skis for intermediates rather than beginners - you'll out ski the beginner ski fairly soon.

Dot., it doesn't matter what the ski looks like, it's the way you turn them! Which is what I told a ski tech at a shop in Colorado when he made fun of my Dynamic VR17s - they're fun and they're my rock skis but they still need tuning! Currently use Fischer Cool Heat as my everyday ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skinanny, yup, you don't need to tell me that. I appreciate you backing my point.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not trying to cause an argument about the skis. Ultimately I know at the end of the day a ski is a ski, and I just listed how a women’s specific ski differed from a unisex ski. But I think in the case of Kay B these are perhaps important feature? Obviously I forgot to mention the flowery graphics and colours of pink and, or more pink!

My point when I said she should be wary of going on a man's ski was just because Kay B was listing fairly entry level skis (specifically designed for women). While I’m sure she could cope, why should she want something other than a confidence boosting and progressive ski in some of the series I previously listed? She’s said she’s an ex boarder embarking on her first bit of skiing after an injury, learning at Tamworth before going once or twice a year. Mainly on-piste as a camerawomen. I certainly think she should be looking at something a bit better just so she doesn’t outgrow the ski too quickly.

Anyway the most salient point got mentioned a long time ago about trying the skis out, I was just trying to be helpful and give an idea of some of the ones to look out for a possibly try, rather than a general ‘oh go ski on anything’. We can all bicker away till we are blue in the face, but the most important thing is to get on something you feel comfortable with and can have fun with.
ski holidays
Thanks guys, all great advice. I understand what people are saying about the trap of marketing with womens skis, I have chosed a few to try including the K2 sweet luv, true luv and the atomic cloud 7. I am leaning towards to the cloud 7 having read reviews, magazines in america voted it the best ski for advanced begginers to intermediates, its graphics are quite sleek as well and not too girly. I think I am a bit of a lazy skier when trying to master perfect parallel turns in the fact that (with hire skis) I am not bringing my inner turning ski round enough, so this is something that I am wanting to change with a new ski. Another thing I wanted to ask was whether it would be worth waiting til the metro ski and snowboard show to buy is now the time to buy before prices go up with the new season coming up?
latest report
Kay B

Be aware that when skis get voted the best there is normally an advertising campaign with that magazine that funny enough tends to be the biggest brand spender for that season, happens in the UK too so don't read to much into them.

There really arn't many bad skis from the main players and anything you choose will help, just make sure you get the correct length and something not too agressive!

Take a look at Head, Scott, Salomon too as they all have good skis for you. There's nothing wrong with the Atomic & K2's you've mentioned either.

If you go to an independent shop you are likey to get better advice if the staff/owner have been on the UK trade ski test and actually skiied the skis!!! Although, that can still mean nothing as opinions are a wonderful thing!

I remember a certain editor badly rating some race skis when he can hardly get out of Snow Plow, funny stuff!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy