Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow depths/ conditions/ resort closing date

Poster: A snowHead
Conditions for Tuesday April 12th - Main French Resorts

Resort Depth/Altitude Depth/Resort Temp Altitude Temp Resort Runs Open Info
FRANCE
ISERE
Alpe d'Huez 130cm (3330m) 63cm (1860m) minus 8 °C 0 °C 60/117
Les 2 Alpes 200cm (3200m) 30cm (1650m) minus 7 °C 0 °C 56/101
Villard de Lans 100cm (2050m) 30cm (1050m) plus 2 °C plus 4 °C 13/27
SAVOIE
Courchevel 185cm (2738m) 75cm (1850m) minus 4 °C minus 1 °C 98/98
La Plagne 195cm (3250m) 65cm (2000m) minus 9 °C minus 1 °C 75/134
La Rosière 170cm (2400m) 60cm (1850m) minus 2 °C 0 °C 29/36
Les Arcs 150cm (3226m) 5cm (1100m) minus 9 °C plus 2 °C 76/105
Menuires 120cm (2850m) 40cm (1850m) minus 4 °C 0 °C 61/71
Meribel 191cm (2952m) 18cm (1400m) 0 °C plus 1 °C 58/74
Tignes 170cm (3500m) 81cm (2800m) minus 10 °C minus 4 °C 118/131
Val d'Isère 90cm (3500m) 62cm (1850m) minus 10 °C 0 °C 118/142
Val Thorens 170cm (2500m) 90cm (1700m) minus 3 °C 0 °C 63/67
HAUTE SAVOIE
Avoriaz 170cm (2460m) 110cm (1800m) minus 3 °C 0 °C 32/50
Chatel 110cm (2200m) 15cm (1200m) minus 1 °C plus 1 °C 28/49
Flaine 250cm (2500m) 35cm (1600m) minus 3 °C 0 °C 43/52
La Clusaz 155cm (2500m) 20cm (1100m) minus 3 °C plus 1 °C 50/83
Megève 70cm (2350m) 20cm (1113m) minus 2 °C plus 1 °C 45/158
Morzine 170cm (2460m) 5cm (1000m) minus 3 °C plus 3 °C 40/81
VOSGES
St Maurice sur Moselle CLOSED
ALPES DU SUD
Les Orres 80cm (2720m) 40cm (1650m) minus 3 °C plus 1 °C 8/34
Montgenèvre 50cm (2700m) 25cm (1860m) minus 4 °C 0 °C 14/70
Orcières Merlette 50cm (2725m) 30cm (1850m) minus 3 °C 0 °C 14/53
Praloup CLOSED
Sauze/Supersauze CLOSED
Serre Chevalier 45cm (2800m) 5cm (1200m) minus 4 °C plus 1 °C 26/104
Vars/Risoul 35cm (2750m) 25cm (1850m) minus 3 °C 0 °C 12/104
PYRENEES
Font Romeu 50cm (2250m) 40cm (1800m) plus 5 °C plus 6 °C 19/36
Piau 120cm (2600m) 80cm (1850m) plus 2 °C plus 4 °C 22/38
St Lary Soulan/Vars 150cm (2500m) 70cm (1700m) plus 3 °C plus 6 °C 20/54
MASSIF CENTRAL
Le Mont Dore 80cm (1850m) 30cm (1350m) plus 4 °C plus 5 °C 8/33

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 12-04-05 8:15; edited 52 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very nice PG. Thank you for your efforts.
One oddity spotted - how come the Paradiski dates don't match either Les Arcs or La Plagne ????? Claims to open later and close earlier. Shurely shome mishtake.
<<<< EDIT - table above has changed completely so several of the posts below no longer make much sense. Thanks again to PG for a useful tool for snowHeads heading to France for Easter. Fait bon ski - if it doesn't pluit snowHead >>>>

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 23-03-05 7:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's because they cleverly located the Vanoise Express at a sufficiently low altitude in the Peisey Vallandry sector to ensure that Paradiski has to close earlier and open later than the main domains of Les Arcs and La Plagne....)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A bit like an annual marriage and divorce.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Came the dawn - thought it might be something to do with the V.E. valley crossing. So they've not got snowmaking on the Les Arcs side down to it ? Brilliant planning. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting that Val Thorens plan to open so early. Back in 1990 when the Salomon ski was launched, Val Thorens was the chosen launchpad (and I'm trying to remember if it was early November or late November). On arrival at Geneva we were told there was a slight change of plan.

The entire show, which involved press from all over the world (not to mention the masses of skis and back-up people) was switched to Saas Fee, where we were all given Val Thorens promotional material! That was - you've guessed it - because VT had no snow.

So it would be interesting to see when Saas Fee plan to open for the winter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Rosiere opens on 12th Dec. The first Saturday is always a free day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, I was surprised by Montgenèvre opening at the end of October! Don't think it's a misprint because they've been discussing this on the French Skipass forum for a while.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dolomitisuperski gives 27/11/2004 as the opening date.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Answering my own question, Saas Fee (and Zermatt) look to be running some non-glacial lifts from 27 November but with initial weekend-only operation. Careful checking of schedules is important with any of these early opening claims - resorts are extremely quiet in late November and early December, except maybe for weekends if there's great snow.

And don't rely on resorts opening lifts just because the snow has fallen. They can't operate profitably unless they can sell tickets, and the momentum only really starts a week before Christmas in most places.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Duoble post, sorry.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 8-09-04 9:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wengen/Jungfrau region Switzerland is from 04/12/04 until 17/04/05 the last two weekends in november may have some lifts opperating if conditions allow
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
Interesting that Val Thorens plan to open so early. .

They always plan to open the first weekend of November, whether they do depends conditions. Last year they opened on the 3rd weekend of November. It was, of course, one November that a tragic avalanche hit the Beranger piste killing 7... so go there at your risk and peril.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Montgenvre was absolutely excellent early in November, a friend of mine took this photo:

http://mratw73.free.fr/photos/snow/montgenevre/10-11-2003/500/PB106973_500.jpg

You've really got to be flexible early season. The Savoie was pretty rotten until Christmas except for the premiere neige at Val d'Isère whereas the Southern Alpes, southern Massif Central such as Le Lioran and Andorra/Spanish Pyrénées were excellent. It is all to do with winter weather patterns. Feast and famine, that kind of thing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kuwait_ian, they've got snow making, but the Montchavin (La Plagne) side is only about 1450-1500m, and Peisey-Vallandry (Les Arcs) side is 1600m, which generally means they need to have the snow machines running a bit longer before its worth opening.

From a skiing point of view, issa not so bad in reality as its only one week at the start and end of the season... although as a business, an extra 2 weeks potential revenue would be nice!
ski holidays
Lake Louise Opens 5/11/04

Snow making starts on 15/10/04 Cool
snow conditions
PG, I seem to remember Lin posting from Serre Chevalier on scgb site last November, when SC was closed and making us all jealous that she was off to MOntgenevre which was open for weekends only.
snow conditions
the new "grandvalira" linked resort in Andorra (Pas de la Casa, Grau Roig, Soldeu and El Tarter) is expected to open 30 November
snow conditions
Thanks nbt...
ski holidays
Courmayeur will open Dec. 8th but will be weekends only 'til Christmas, I think.

Cervinia is saying 2nd October 2004 - 1st May 2005, though that will be on the glacier at first.

Details of all the Val d'Aosta should appear here at some point soon: http://www.skivallee.it/index.htm
latest report
skanky, thanks, done.
snow report
Sun Peaks, BC opens on 20/11/04 and closes on 12/4/05
snow report
A mate of mine is off to Ponte Di Legno in a few weeks. He'll be skiing on the Presena Glacier which opens on the 23rd of October
snow report
AUSTRIA

Schladming - Planai & Hochwurzen

27 November 04 to 10 April 05

0900 to 1700 hrs daily

Night skiing on the Planai from 1930 to 2200 hours daily.
ski holidays
A-Basin will open on Friday 22nd according to the Summit Daily News
latest report
Thanks KI, Basoid, no discrimination involved here - honest! - but I just don't think I can do the North American resorts as well. Will have to stick to Europe, could definitely do with more on the Austrian/Swiss etc resorts, but no time to research them at the moment....

Next year maybe for North America...
snow report
Just to make you all jealous of those of us here in North America - my first day out this season was October 23rd, at Kirkwood, and I've skied every weekend since!
Squaw Valley is now open every day, with 8 lifts running, 9am to 4pm, and they hope to be open through to May (closing day 2004 was May 16th).
ski holidays
Hummph - yes, I am very jealous pollittcl Evil or Very Mad but wlecome to snowHeads anyway snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Correction to the LDA opening. We're open until the very last weekend in April.
snowHead
ski holidays
Just heard La Rosiere has postponed its opening for a week, now the 18th Dec.
snow conditions
David - the web site says postponed until more snow - does that mean they are expecting some next week? Any ideas of what we can do for a week from 20th if it's not opened?
snow conditions
Jane, snow has been forecast for the past week, but it's still clear although it has got colder. Latest forecast is Thurs/Fri next week. You could be lucky as I believe this is the first time the opening has been put back. We usually get a major dump before Xmas, otherwise it's lots of hiking. I'm out next week and planning to ski in Tignes/Val d'Isere, maybe even La Plagne. It doesn't look as if there are any resorts fully open yet.l

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 10-12-04 15:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I see the human chain from Ros to La Thuile has been postponed until the end of the season - might have been hard work getting up there with no snow!
ski holidays
Well that'll coincide with the snowheads gathering.
ski holidays
Thanks David. I suppose we're in the hands of Thomson, we will go wherever they offer transport to start with.
ski holidays
Puy Saint Vincent open for Alpine and Ski de Fond on the 11th Dec as scheduled.

See my post under snow reports "Puy Saint Vincent is ready to go!" for a piccy of the opening day.

Resort is complete with snow all the way from 2750m (the top obviously) to the lowest station at 1400m. On the 11th the snow was pretty hard below 2000m with a lot of artificial snow on top of the good stuff that fell a couple of weeks ago.

pete@alpsun.com
latest report
Does anyone know when Whistler/Blackcomb plans to open for season 05/06.
We are wanting to book flights and accomodation arriving in Whistler on Sun 20th November 2005 and i think this is the weekend that Blackcomb usually opens but i would like to make sure before booking.
Is there anyone out there who can advise me.
Many Thanks. Smile
ski holidays
Table and title of thread changed - now gives conditions (snow depths, temperatures) and resort closing dates when known.
snow report
Apparently COurmayeur are thinking of staying open until the end of April - which is a tad ironic.
snow report
PG, When did Megève get 158 runs? Not being picky but I would take the 1 off the front and remove some of the 58 as well.

CP
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy