Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll - January 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
heidiky
Pleased to see all you guys loving Soll!!! I'll be there all season and was last year, anyone has any questions about it give me a shout

Hi Heidiky,

Welcome to the forum! I'm a pretty good skier and my wife has been once before. We're in Soll on January 15th with our daughters (9 and 11). It is their first time skiing although I've had them taking private lessons on a local dry slope. We're stay at the Schindlhaus Apartments so we only need to cross the road to get to a couple of nursery slopes.

Can you recommend where I should take the girls from there after they have gotten their snow-legs, so to speak?

Many thanks, and again, welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brian Barrett wrote:
Be careful on the red run home to the village. Gets very choppy and very busy late in the day, so when you do fall on a moguled bit (and you probably will) there are likely to be 20 people coming bombing straight behind you. Wife and kids may want to take gondola to base.

Toilets on the top resturant (Hohe Salve) are also worth a visit. one-way glass in the loos and a great vista

Hi Brian,

Sounds like very good advice! Did you fly from the city or International to Saltzburg? Wondering how long your transfer time was.

Many thanks!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flew from Dublin via Ulsterbus airport service - brilliant service, 2 hours from Omagh door to door - I couldn't drive there much quicker.
Six of us went with Inghams and stayed in Hotel Eggerwirt - completly faultless, both resort and accomodation.
Don't remember how long transfers were. I'd say 1.5 hours or there abouts. Nowhere near the italy and andora 3.5 - 5 hour transfers I've endured in the past.
We left the ski hire until we got to the resort and went to Daves - was about 70% price that reps were looking.
Loads of gentle cruising slopes around the middle gondola station. You can dump wife and weans there and catch up with them each time you come down the mountain, but don't miss a trek to the back slopes, there are some great long runs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can anyone recommend a good boot fitting shop in Soll as I intend to purchase boots while I'm out there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome, Brian.

Many thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
looking good on web cams,any first hand reports,looking to get very cold next week,roll on 4 weeks today
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I saw a woman from our guest house break her ankle on the home run near the top. They brought her back up in the bucket of a piste basher.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sean Delaney, The best place in Soll is Snow and Fun next to the Salven Stadel pub, Martin is the man to see. Everybody in Soll uses him as he's the best by far.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skid & Slide, Thanks for the info regarding a boot fitter. Much appreciated.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all. Just some info that I have on transfers and ski rental etc

(I'm sure you know this already but...) - transfer from Salzburg to skiwelt is about an hour. From Munich it's about 1hr 40 (even with the guy lashing along we couldn't get there much quicker than this). We use four seasons travel who have this website - www.airport-transfer.com. If you have 8, you have the bus to yourselves and it leaves straightaway on arrival. It costs €430 return. If there are only a few of you, they wait until the (small) bus is full but it's not a long wait. I agree about the train to Kufstein (one change in Munich central) - nice way to get there and you can pick up a taxi easily enough for the 20 minute transfer. From salzburg, we're using www.salzburgtours.at which seems to be the cheapest at €240 return for the 8 of us.

For ski hire, either Daves or snow and fun but make sure you try www.snowrental.net or www.skiset.co.uk first for discounts.

And for cameras around austrian resorts, have a look at www.feratel.com . It has the whole lot there including the skiwelt cameras - in case you decide to go somewhere else. But why would you do that? Brixen is sunny with long blues and red 6 which should only do in the morning, scheffau has a great run down to the gondola (and a track for two weekers). Ellmau has a train back to the top and a great restaurant/bar off red 80a (it's hut 58 on the map) called www.ruebezahlalm.at. I think someone referred to it above. You can get to Westendorf from Brixen in the newish gondola and red 11 back down from the Choralpe is great. And if I didn't have to get back to work, I'd keep going!

Oh, speedfreak, Soll also has a track down for novices. It's below lifts 44 and 45 at middle station. Blue 40. That should get the junior speedfreakesses down.

Staying in Ellmau this year, having been in Soll for the last 5.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
freshlegs wrote:

Oh, speedfreak, Soll also has a track down for novices. It's below lifts 44 and 45 at middle station. Blue 40. That should get the junior speedfreakesses down.

Staying in Ellmau this year, having been in Soll for the last 5.

Hi freshlegs, welcome and thanks for the excellent info. I'm off to check out the piste map for Blue 40. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,

off to Soll in Feb with the kids and staying at the Lodge Mounty (I think??) - anybody stayed there, got any ideas of how far away from gondola, etc this place is?

thanks to all above for the excellent help and pointers.

Cheers,

Pete
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i,m off 8 jan stopping in lodge monty will report back on my return
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
been on the site for locker rental at gondola station i can,t seem to find the price any body know the approx cost for ski and boot storage for the week thanks, 7 days to go Very Happy charlie Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Speedfreak wrote:
Quote:
heidiky
Pleased to see all you guys loving Soll!!! I'll be there all season and was last year, anyone has any questions about it give me a shout

Hi Heidiky,

Welcome to the forum! I'm a pretty good skier and my wife has been once before. We're in Soll on January 15th with our daughters (9 and 11). It is their first time skiing although I've had them taking private lessons on a local dry slope. We're stay at the Schindlhaus Apartments so we only need to cross the road to get to a couple of nursery slopes.

Can you recommend where I should take the girls from there after they have gotten their snow-legs, so to speak?

Many thanks, and again, welcome!

Hi there, sorry about the late reply!!

For sure, the nursery area is good, a longish poma and then it's up the gondola to the blue run (salvenmoos chair) on run number 47. Don't bother with blue run 43a or 40, they're just tracks. Next step is the stockl (no 44) chair to a gentle red. Once they've got the hang of that get out of Soll and into Hopfgarten or Scheffau, lot's more gentler slopes!

If your daughters like the private lesson set up then stick with it - only other option is ski school with big groups. Check out black sheep ski for lessons etc, I offer private sessions and guiding Smile

Anything else give me a shout!

Heidi
www.skiheidi.com
snow report
heidiky, looking at both soll & ellmau for a week early feb. Which would you recommend for a cautious 2nd week skier ( my partner) ?
snow report
charlie26, I think it depends on whether you hire skis from them - something like 20 euro if you dont and 10 if you do?

Also - the toboggan run is an absolute blast.
snow conditions
charlie26, thanks - look forward to your review.

heidiky, good pointers so far, thanks for that. I assume the run numbers are easy enough to follow, as we will be in lessons in the morning and then just out skiing with the kids in the afternoons, so the easier to track and find, the better (hard enough making sure the kids aren't fighting or losing poles/gloves/goggles, etc).

On a package deal with Neilson, so I assume the lift pass covers all the way across SkiWelt - anybody any idea how far this sort of pass will get me from Soll to ??

Cheers,

Pete
snow conditions
nickH wrote:
heidiky, looking at both soll & ellmau for a week early feb. Which would you recommend for a cautious 2nd week skier ( my partner) ?

I would definitely recommend Ellmau for the more cautious skier. Although there are some gentler runs in Soll, Ellmau's runs are wider and there's a lot more blues so you don't always have to do the same one! Plus plenty of terrain to keep you enteratined if you're more advanced. Also, Ellmau has an awesome kebab shop complete with crazy turkish guy!

Heidi Smile

www.skiheidi.com
latest report
efcbluepete, Run numbers are fairly easy to follow, piste map can be frustrating at times - I tend to use the sun for guidance!! If you're doing lessons, your instructor will show you some runs and you can ask them about where to go in the arvos. The SkiWelt pass will get you as far as Going and Westendorf, plenty of runs to keep your legs burning. You can upgrade to All Star Card so you can ski across towards Kitzbuhel.

Lodge Mounty is great - nice staff and the chef's a good'un! A bit of a wander from the gondola - leave your skis at the edinger garage so you don;t have to cart them round. Ski bus stop close by.

Hope this helps!!!

Heidi Smile

www.skiheidi.com
snow report
efcbluepete, Run numbers are fairly easy to follow, piste map can be frustrating at times - I tend to use the sun for guidance!! If you're doing lessons, your instructor will show you some runs and you can ask them about where to go in the arvos. The SkiWelt pass will get you as far as Going and Westendorf, plenty of runs to keep your legs burning. You can upgrade to All Star Card so you can ski across towards Kitzbuhel.

Lodge Mounty is great - nice staff and the chef's a good'un! A bit of a wander from the gondola - leave your skis at the edinger garage so you don;t have to cart them round. Ski bus stop close by.

Hope this helps!!!

Heidi Smile

www.skiheidi.com
snow report
Might be of interest to anyone there in Söll: ORF, Austrian radio & television, is putting on some show/party on the evening of 14th January, in connection with night skiing and sledging.
snow report
I went on Christmas leave on December 16th - when I checked then there was 105 cm on the mountain top and 50 cm lower down. Now it reports 60 cm on top and 30 cm on the bottom. Having said that snow-forecast.com shows a reasonable fall of snow arriving around January 10th Very Happy

Roll on January 15th.

Heidi - thanks for all your info. Been in touch with blacksheepski.co.uk, just waiting to hear back!
ski holidays
Heading to Soll on 5th february, looking forward to it, hopefully there will be plenty fresh snow over the course of the next month Very Happy
ski holidays
heidiky, thanks for the advice - will look into ellmau over soll then as it sounds more suitable
ski holidays
Hope this doesn't sound like a daft question, but does Soll have ATMs that can be used with UK bank cards?

8 days and counting Very Happy
snow conditions
Speedfreak, Yes - used the one on the corner of the main town centre crossroads last season. They are a bit more sophisticated than our ATMs as they invite you to choose your own language. I'm on 1 day and counting - fly out to Salzburg tomorrow.
ski holidays
Thanks deerman. Hope you've a great week!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i,m off tomorrow 7.25 am from manchester,looks like a snow free week,any body goy any first hand reports ,web cams still look good
snow conditions
heidiky, excellent, thanks. Will look at the garage area for ski storage - tough enough carrying mine and the kids boots to have to worry about skis, too.

5 weeks and counting Toofy Grin and keeping an eye on snow/weather reports.

Cheers,

Pete
snow conditions
charlie26, efcbluepete, I skied there yesterday and had a good day. It was a bit March like in conditions and picked up a bit of a tan.

The snow is in excellent condition considering how warm it has been since Thursday. All the lifts and runs are open. It is due to be warm this weekend before the temperatures descend to normal January ones in the middle of the week. They are making snow at night using the very extensive snow cannon/lance system. It was much quieter on the slopes yesterday compared with Wednesday and Thursday. As of today it will be quieter still, meaning that you will most likely not have to queue any where.

Try this site for a more accurate local forecast:

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/soell-skiwelt

Don't worry too much about the rain as it means snow at the higher levels - Schnee-Regen is sleet and this forecast is for the town not the slopes. The forecasts do change very, very rapidly in the mountains - our forecast has been bouncing up and down the thermometer like nobody's business this past 10 days. I live about 30 minutes away from Söll.

Have a great holiday Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Don't worry too much about the rain as it means snow at the higher levels - Schnee-Regen is sleet and this forecast is for the town not the slopes. The forecasts do change very, very rapidly in the mountains - our forecast has been bouncing up and down the thermometer like nobody's business this past 10 days. I live about 30 minutes away from Söll.

Great to get more local information. Thanks Samerberg Sue!

Do you think there's a chance the nursery slopes outside the village won't survive the rain?
ski holidays
Speedfreak, They looked open as I drove past on Friday, but there is plenty of terrain up at the top as well so nothing to worry about to be honest.
snow report
Thanks Samerberg Sue. It's reassuring to hear. My concern was that my two daughters (eleven and eight) will be on their first ski trip and will be spending their time on easy runs. I was hoping they'd be able to play around on these lower slopes before heading further up the mountain.
snow report
efcbluepete, I'm off to Soll snowboarding staying at Lodge Mounty as well but not until 5th March. Have to let me know what it's like when you've got back!

Anybody now what the conditions are usually like beginning of March in Soll? This is only my second snowboarding trip (the first being mid december last year in Val Thorens!) Anybody got any tips for me, being what I would generously describe as a 'lower intermediate' ha ha! Any places/runs to make sure I visit/do in Soll?
ski holidays
I skied in Soll early March last year and conditions were not good. High up runs were ok until the afternoon and low runs were mush by mid morning which lead to man size moguls on the main runs into resort in the afternoon. Saying that it then snowed for the last two days and temperatures dropped dramatically meaning those arriving for the second week of March had near perfect conditions.

We still had fun though, skiing slush is a new skill and the warm sun was nice for chilling out on the sun deck with a beer.

Cant remember the name of the place but theirs a bar at the base of the main gondola in Soll that is good for dancing in/watching people dance in ski boots to bad europop – fun times.
latest report
A group of 4 of us went to Soll 2 years ago and had a brilliant time.

Maybe not as big a vertical as some resorts, but if you like tree-lined reds then this is the resort for you!

Some of my favourite runs:
Red run from Zinsberg - Brixen
Blue and Red runs from Brandstadl - Scheffau
Red runs served by lift no.51 above Soll
Red run from Rigi - Hopfgarten

Nice restaurants for lunch:
Gasthof Stockalm (just below Hochsoll)
Neualm (Scheffau gondola mid-station)
Biwack (top of red run to Brixen)

Apres-ski:
Moonlight Bar (bottom of red run into Soll)
Rossini (on the left as you walk into Soll)

Personally I didn't find the nightlife to be as good as I was expecting, although it was still ok.
Also, make sure you check out the church. I'm not religious at all, but I was very impressed

Couple of photos to get you in the mood:

Looking down towards Soll from near the top of the Hohe Salve:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/4838296003/in/set-72157624480299413/

Biwack restaurant above Brixen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/4838904174/in/set-72157624480299413/

Have fun!
snow conditions
Any fresh snow in sight for the Ski-welt region?
ski holidays
Quote:

Any fresh snow in sight for the Ski-welt region?

Looks like a little is expected high up, but from mid to bottom it looks more like rain mid week Crying or Very sad

Heidiky / Samerberg Sue - being local, can you calm our fears?
snow report
Speedfreak, Rebelski, you can try watching here:

ttp://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/soell-skiwelt

I'm in Munich during the week at work, so what exactly is happening I can't really tell you any more than the web cams!

But the local feeling is that it isn't looking good at the moment, but a lot can change in 24 hours, let alone a week! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy