Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spring-board USA

Poster: A snowHead
Peeps,
Advice please fellas/ladies! Got the first week of May off and got the brainwave of heading stateside for some west coast US slidin'.
Never been to a US resort and never been in Spring anywhere. Squaw is open 'til 30th May and Mammoth 8th (and poss beyond).

Can anyone advise if its worth the trip/money for a last throw of the dice for some white stuff? What are spring conditions like?

Any latest info on resort conditions, recommendations - and critically closures (close to booking heavenly, but shuts 1st may - doh!) gratefully received!

Cheers for the help powder hounds.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wilko, some friends came back from Mammoth last week. They had so much snow the pisteurs had had to dig out trenches under the chairlifts for you to be able to get off!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wilko, last time I was at Squaw at this time of year, conditions were pretty much like the higher French resorts at the same time. It can be very warm, and the snow softens up a lot in the afternoon. I haven't checked recently, but I get the impression that there has been a colossal amount of snow this season, so there should be plenty there, whatever its condition. Hopefully pollittcl who's practically resident at Squaw will turn up soon and give you the up-to-date picture.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one Helen! Mammoth is scheduled to close on the 8th after spring fest, but there are rumours state side it will be open until the end of the month. But - of course - mammoth won't confirm this!

Still looks like they are only opening the main lodge though - all village lodges will be shut. Any idea how much of the mountain this cuts off?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers laundry man.

pollitticl sounds like the boy - and a lucky bug*er too, powder on your doorstep!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wilko, er, girl actually !! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah. Not made that mistake since that night in the blue oyster bar ......... but we won't go into that perhaps....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wilko, last reports I had from Mammoth were very good.
(oh, and WELCOME TO snowHeads Very Happy )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wilko, I'd get as much feedback from these resorts about lifts open and conditions before you make a final commitment. Things will probably be very wound down. There's a difference between locals still getting good value from a local trip to the hills for a late spring slide and someone making a transatlantic journey.

If you've got other good reasons for being on the West Coast at that time, great, and view the skiing as a bonus. Skiing in late spring gets to be warm and deeply slushy, usually (though not always).

The forum at www.epicski.com will tell you a lot more, from people on the scene.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don;t forget Whistler - Blackcomb mountain has closed but stuarth was reporting exellent conditions
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Squaw currently been here since 15th, conditions pretty fantastic up 'til today plenty of snow for this time of year. Resort does stay open but they have progressively started to close it down already, currently Eastern side including high chairs and link from Squaw Creek closed there is talk that on 1st May they may close KT22 (one of the major accesses still open to Black Diamond terrain) and the lower half of the mountain leaving skiing on top half around Olympic Lodge however none of this is set in stone and I guess depends on snow conditions. Speaking of which weather has taken a bit of a turn for the worse and rarther than the snow originally forecast currently getting rain and temps refusing to drop below 0 so see what happens over rest of week more of same fcst after cold sunny snap. Mountain has plenty of snow but nothiong skanks it faster than rain. When I was looking into coming out here I very much got the impression that Mammoth would be open slightly later than Squaw although with same sort of progressive closure schedule. Speaking to the locals round here I get the impression that Mammoth has had an even bigger season than Squaw (3rd best on record) but don't know what local weather and conditions are loke at the moment I thin S.Cal getting rain too at the mom. Heavenly I think have extended their season into beginning of May and Alpine Meadows still open (no accom I believe, stay nearby - Truckee or on the Lake etc.) Be careful of all the resorts and ammount of terrain being serviced even if they say they're open when you're planning on coming, also make sure they haven't switched to weekend only skiing.

All in all it's been fab here for last week and a half even at the weekends the slopes are very uncrowded (in Fra with these conds and sun it would be packed at the w/e) and in the week time deserted, just locals (some ripping skiers), very friendly atmosphere.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt wrote:
Don;t forget Whistler - Blackcomb mountain has closed but stuarth was reporting exellent conditions

It's been very warm this week - lots to ski but definitely spring skiing conditions (ie slushy). Perfect weather for biking and beers however... snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Squaw is still open - the skiing this weekend was reasonably good - hardpack with about 3 inches of fresh stuff for both Saturday and Sunday mornings! The upper mountain has stayed pretty firm most of the day, but the lower mountain does get slushy in the afternoon. KT is due to close on May 1st, which means that we will be left with only 2 lifts to access Black terrain, but they will still be plenty of skiing. What we're really waiting for is some decent spring weather so that we get corn snow - it's been too cold recently!

Currently Mammoth is talking about staying open into June, and the rumour mill is saying that they are trying to stay open until next season!

More snow in the forcast for later this week!

Didn't find this thread earlier because I was skiing! And snoflake, why haven't you looked me up - I work weekends at ski school and I'm really hard to miss, since I'm the only British female, and I wear a brown helmet! If you're still there on Saturday look for me at Highcamp at 10am! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wilko
If you are looking for somewhere a little closer, Stryn in Norway opens on 28th May. No idea what its like but some details here.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pollittcl
Sorry, new around here and didn't realise you were in Squaw at the mom will certainly try and look you up, got my bro over as well at the moment. Real name Edd, Saturday 10am at Highcamp it is.
ski holidays
snoflake,
If I'm not at highcamp at 10 it will be because I've been booked on a private lesson, but I'll still have to check in later in the day - at 12 and 2.
My real name is Claire, and besides the brown helmet I'll be wearing that delightful black jacket with the red stripe! I'm just hoping that the snow is decent, and that no one wants lessons so that I can ski - I'll probably end up teaching one lesson because there are always beginners, even in some of the rotten weather we've had lately! And I'm always at Squaw - I've skied every weekend since the start of the season, although I didn't start teaching until February.
See you on Saturday!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy