Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Season in Canada - advice needed -Whistler/Banff or Big White?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys - new to the forum but this seemed the place to find some solid advice!

I've been lucky enough to be given the opportunity to do a ski season this winter - beginning in January and lasting between 11 and 13 weeks. I need to choose between skiing in Banff, Whistler or Big White - three resorts that all have very good reputations. Can anyone offer any guidance as to which resorts they prefer and why?

To help with this - I am a 21 year old male, I have recently graduated from University and enjoy being sociable. I have been skiing for 9 years, in resorts such as Panorama, tignes, val thorens, pas de la casa, samoens, soldeu and several other resorts - so my experience is good. I am hoping to obtain CSIA levels 1 & 2 this season so will not be working during the season.

If anyone could offer some advice I would be very grateful!! Thanks guys and girls!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SH Tintin! I can't advise you about Whistler or Big White but my 20 year old son did CASI 1 and 2 in Banff this last winter and loved every minute of it.
So much so that he's got a job out there now and hopes to stay permanently! It's a great town, small but friendly with loads going on. He did his training with Snowskool - check out their website for more resort info. We visited whim at Easter and skied the 3 resorts - Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise - all great. Good luck - I'm sure there are lots of people on here with lots of info for you. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Biddy!! Snowskool are one of the companies I was looking at - if your son has any more info on them I would be very grateful as there are very few reviews on the Internet. Many thanks. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless it has all changed Snowskool only teach at Sunshine Village (and you only get a season pass for there) whereas other companies teach at all 3 and you get the appropriate pass.

Tintin, you should have a search for 'snowskool', 'nonstop' et al using the search function above and you should find plenty information some of which may be useful Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied all 3 resorts, although I have far more experience of Big White as we've got a small condo there.

In summary, if you want a big nightlife then it has to be Whistler. As a single 21 year old, I doubt you'd be disappointed. The downside is large international crowds. Some still insist it's not crowded, but it is compared to other Canadian resorts.

Banff is a lively town too with some great skiing across the 3 nearby resorts as mentioned above.

Big White is a completely different experience. Hardly any crowds at all except for peak holidays. Superb ski-in/out accomodation and some of the best powder I've skied anywhere. Most of the on piste skiing is pretty tame, but great for charging and there are some fantastic virtually unlimited off piste opportunities in the trees. The combination of lift accessible powder without the crowds does it for me. But you'll probably find the nightlife lacking compared to the other 2 options.

Whichever resort you choose, you'll have a fantastic time out there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IIRC the Canadian Rockies Academy do CASI 1&2 in Jasper, or Marmot Basin if you prefer.

Based at the Amethyst Lodge and do fully inclusive courses, but they're not cheap. Nightlife in Jasper can be "canadian", but it can have its moments. Marmot Basin is a great place, virtually no queues 'cept holidays/weekends, and the new chair has made a massive difference to uplift. The CRA course seemed mainly to contain people of your age, with a smattering of mid-life-crisis types, but all seemed to be having a good time on it (March gone, this year).

If partying is the main concern, and you can fund it, it has to be Whistler, no contest.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, we just thought we would come and correct what someone said before. SnowSkool currently operates in Sunshine Village - Canada, Big White - Canada, Big Sky - USA, Three Valleys - France and Wanaka - New Zealand.

If you are thinking about ski or snowboard instructor courses SnowSkool offers qualifications in BASI, CSIA, CASI, NZSIA, SBINZ, PSIA and AASI certificates. Courses range from 2 to 12 weeks and can be fully customised to suit what you want from a course.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tintin, Not been to the others but you would enjoy Whistler. Daughter is doing exactly this in Mar & Apl with Yes. Their website is naff but they are very good on the ground so check them out. Don't know if they have any places left.

Cousin did the courses in Banff, not sure who with, and he is out there teaching this year. He recons its the best. I think it is very cold in Jan but they do get lighter snow. You will have a brilliant time at any of the places.

uktrailmonster, Seems to know Big White well and what he says is like all I have read about the place. Have never been because it is harder getting there, but that is why it is quieter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Tintin, I cant advise on the snowskool stuff but I went to whistler on a ski trip when I was 21 ( a little while ago I'm 36 now).

The night life is fantastic (I cant imagine its changed much, look up tommy africas on facebook)

I stayed at the University of British Columbia Students lodge which is open to the general public http://www.ams.ubc.ca/businesses/whistler-lodge/

The lodge was quiet during the week but full of students from all over Canada at the weekends (a great way to meet people), It costs around $20-30 per night.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Big White is like a ghost town out of holidays, but services and accommodation are top notch; largely Aussie staffed. "It`s all about the powder" as they say wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just wanted to add a point here, we can (of course) advise about the SnowSkool stuff - but best to check what students themselves are saying. In all cases, for a spend this significant, you should always check out all the companies for comparison, and I think the best idea is to check the reviews of others that have been and done the course. So, here is a link to some of our latest reviews for 2013, which you will also find on our Facebook page. But for reference/advice across the board - for all companies you want to check out, the Facebook page recommendations tab is always a good place to start. It's usually down the right hand side of a business page. That way you can see the people leaving the reviews are real (links to their Facebook profiles).

http://snowskool.blogspot.co.uk/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TinTin, what did you decide in the end?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy