Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Fall-Line mag out - October 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Specialman, whitelines do an iphone app. not sure if it's free or not.

and i don't think snowboarding is necessarily a yoof sport - most of my snowboarding mates are heading towards 30 if not already older, and a good few are actually older than 40 (which also = more disposable income wink )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sherlock235 wrote:
Specialman, whitelines do an iphone app. not sure if it's free or not....

Yeah, had search for that app... think I'll stay with print form for now but as the iPhone becomes a bit more familiar, who knows.... Very Happy

sherlock235 wrote:
....i don't think snowboarding is necessarily a yoof sport - most of my snowboarding mates are heading towards 30 if not already older, and a good few are actually older than 40 (which also = more disposable income wink )

Timmaah wrote:
Media becoming more digitalised has nothing to do with the "yoof". What an odd thing to say.

I don't mean 'yoof' as a generalisation that there are no older people boarding, but with anything that has a large proportion of younger (i.e. under -25s) members there will always be the tendency to embrace new technology slightly quicker than in other quarters. I'm not writing off us oldies though, just seems at times (as mags like Document portrayed) there's a lot more of the young 'uns around. Very Happy

I had the opposite when I was running a national fishing mag; getting kids into the sport (and making them stay) was immensely difficult. The particular branch of the sport I covered (pole fishing) was/is dominated by older guys above 35, mainly 45-60. I started running the mag when i was 24 and although I had a common interest with my readers, I had to change my way of thinking to suit what someone older than me would like, 'anti-yoof' almost Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That article on "the future of skiing" is possibly the most asinine and pointless thing I have ever seen.

Other than that, very enjoyable issue. Snowboarding/skiing split isn't quite right, as others have said.

It's also nice to know that my "Freestyle Chat!" thread isn't as ludicrous as I thought it was. Pretzels indeed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, I'm 46 and I get 3 different ski mags delivered to my iPad. Much better than a paper version. And maybe its bacause I'm old that a lurid green cheap set of goggles and vouchers for places too far north of me are not enough to get me to subscribe. Cut out the fancy stuff, get the price down and allow paypal and I probably would subscribe. Better yet go and talk to Zinio and get your mag online

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 27-09-10 13:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I feel bad... I went into WH Smiths to buy FAll line at the weekend, and walked out with DM Ski mag instead!!!! It just had more relevant stuff - especially the family skiing holiday bit.

After a quick flick through, i was a bit disappointed in the Scottish skiing article. Was hoping for more detail and more pics - although the pics that are there are stunning, it's just not enough editorial to grab me.

I'll defo buy fall line next month though as i always get the gear guide copy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
madmole wrote:
Yep, I'm 46 and I get 3 different ski mags delivered to my iPad. Much better than a paper version. And maybe its bacause I'm old that a lurid green cheap set of goggles and vouchers for places too far north of me are not enough to get me to subscribe. Cut out the fancy stuff, get the price down and allow paypal and I probably would subscribe. Better yet go and talk to Vinio and get your mag online

Which ski mags do you get on your iPad? could you give a quck one line review of each, sounds very interesting.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just go to the Appstore and download Zinio for free. Once you have it you get a huge choice of mags of all descriptions and not just US ones

I can see
Aspen
Powder (£5.36 a years subscriptions (6 issues))
Skiing (£3.24 an issue)
Ski magazine (£6.49 for a years subscription)
Snowboarder
SnoWest
Snow Magazine
Snowbboarding

Whitelines themsleves are giving away the current issue (just search for whitelines in the app store) and £1.79 a normal issue

The iPad is a superb reader for magazines. Oh and of course you can read the Snowheads forums on it as well!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
madmole, thanks, I had searched for skiing previously and been disappointed by what I found Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The choice gets better everyday as more folks wake up to the wonder that is iPad.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This thread was brought to you by Apple UK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually prefer Windows. Phone is windows mobile, PC is Win 7, laptop is XP. But I am impressed by the simplicity, build quality and sheer usability of the iPad. It doesnt do much, but what it does do it does well, quickly and without fuss. OK I admit to also having an iPod

My wife who crashes her netbook every 10 mins and cant even seem to get on with a mouse, is quite happy browsing the web on the iPad and cant break it (though she does call it names when it does exactly what she told it to, cos thats not normally what she wanted)

The iPad is also wonderfull as an entertainment machine on a plane and the 10 hour battery life is brill. Carry a small battery pack and 20 hours easy to get.

Video, movies and book reading all a good experience and its not too bad as a gaming maching either

So yes for once I actually do like something Steve Jobs has done

No use for Skiing though!!! unless you use it as a very small snowboard Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Technique wrote:
That article on "the future of skiing" is possibly the most asinine and pointless thing I have ever seen.

Oh yes. Utter nonsense.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here, I'll type it out in its entirety for anyone who missed it:

Quote:
What will skiing be like in the future? It's a question many of us have asked! Well, perhaps there will be less snow than there is now. Or maybe there'll be even more! Nobody knows!

When there are space rockets and stuff, probably by about 2050, we'll probably end up skiing on the moon. Or maybe not!

Remember that film Back To The Future. There might be hoverboards like that, you know instead of snowboards. Then again there might not be, there's really no way of knowing.

Or maybe, just maybe, it'll be just like it is now - people skiing and snowboarding up mountains on real snow. Or maybe not!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Technique wrote:
Here, I'll type it out in its entirety for anyone who missed it:

Quote:
What will skiing be like in the future? It's a question many of us have asked! Well, perhaps there will be less snow than there is now. Or maybe there'll be even more! Nobody knows!

When there are space rockets and stuff, probably by about 2050, we'll probably end up skiing on the moon. Or maybe not!

Remember that film Back To The Future. There might be hoverboards like that, you know instead of snowboards. Then again there might not be, there's really no way of knowing.

Or maybe, just maybe, it'll be just like it is now - people skiing and snowboarding up mountains on real snow. Or maybe not!

what a load of utter space filling gash!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Technique, having read the article, do you believe that robots be drying our boots, servicing our ski equipment and chalet maids in this WORLD OF TOMORROW? Will all fartbags be made of shiny foil? Will all helmets have antenna?
snow conditions
Maybe there will be overpaid talentless hacks lazily tossing off articles that they've had 6 weeks to write, on their Macbook in the pub, 15 minutes before deadline. Or maybe not!
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
Chris Brookes, give him a chance.... he probably went home about 15mins after posting his comment and doesn't think work 100% of the time when at home with the family

so again...i take the no repsonse as a no Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Chris Brookes, There has certainly never bneen any sign of one in the past, so unlikely now I would say.
snow report
Still surprise (any of) the WH Smiths at Gatwick airport don't stock Fall Line, when they all over OVER 5 mags for running/fishing/road biking/mountain biking/caravanning/yachting... surely there's enough skiers flying out of there to justify stocking a ski mag?

If I subscribe to Fall Line now, would I get the one that's just come out?
snow report
clarky999, nope, your first one would probably be the december edition. i received a two-year subscription for xmas in 2008, and the first one i received was the march or april one.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Sorry, I tend to call by once a week or so to see what's happening - not exactly forum etiquette I know, but I try to leave questions answered if possible before disappearing back into Fall Line world. If anyone wants to email me with problems about subscriptions it's dickie@fall-line.co.uk
Actually, let Kerry and I know - she has the both the database and the nous to sort it out immediately. She's at kerry@fall-line.co.uk
We don't do discount subs as a general rule - there are a few 'sale' periods or linked offers - the newswire tends to carry those.
We are about to start testing online mags, as ever, first into the breach. Oh. Someone looted the place already...
As for not being stocked at Gatwick, that's a tad disappointing given the large fortune I'm paying WHS Travel to have the mags stocked at... Gatwick. And Heathrow, Luton etc. Thanks for the heads up on that.
clarky999, if you want the one that's just come out and set up a sub, do it by phone 01733 293250 and we can send current issues. We now run the subs in house and can make things happen faster.
The snowboarding dilemma is how to cut the balance, but we do need feedback. The core snowboarders - folk who are snowboarders rather than 'go snowboarding' don't have any time for the merged mag and I'm not surprised. There are a lot of people who really like being in the mountains, go several times a season and much prefer standing sideways, but don't worry about any lifestyle attached to either skiing or snowboarding. I figure those are the riders who'll engage, and I'll soon find out.
OK, I promise to tune in tomorrow...
latest report
Cheers dude.
snow conditions
"and snowboarding", in a different (smaller) font.

Ski (and board)
DAILY MAIL SKI (and snowboarding)
Fall Line SKIING (ahem, maybe a bit of snowboarding as well).

That's bound to put 'em off, getting second billing all the time. Then again they're generally a bunch of tribalistic adolescent titheads who want to completely disassociate themselves from the "tight pants" skiing brigade. You can't win this one, so balls to them. Make it a ski-only mag and stand proud (awkwardly using a pair of stupid looking poles for balance).
ski holidays
The mag has Fall Line in small text and SKIING in huge text, so to get the snowboarders in, just always have snowboard photos on the cover. The skiers can read it's fall-line SKIING, the boarders will see the photo and are illiterate anyway...

*Joke - I'll get my coat!
latest report
fallliner, Can vouch for sorting out subs quickly. Only subscribed a few weeks ago, got the October issue last week and my free scott goggles and t shirt (a very snug large) popped through the post today. Thanks very much.
latest report
One of my friends just emailed me and mentioned he was skiing with them when they took the Nevis ones. That last one is Spikes at Nevis and the second is Easy Gully (just off-shot to the right of the Spikes photo).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy