Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI AGM & Elections 02/10/10

Poster: A snowHead
A reminder for all members that the BASI AGM will be held at Hemel on Saturday 2nd October. Details are as follows:

* On snow hourly clinics including family and friends 10 – 3.30pm
to book your clinic time, please email diane@basi.org.uk. Join Team BASI for a discounted lunch...
* AGM 4 – 5pm
vote for your next Board of Management Directors
* Open Forum 5 – 6pm
* Presentation by Andy Salter 6 – 7pm

The positions up for re-election this year are Chair - with Gareth Roberts and Roy Bissett, and Secretary with Shona Tate standing for a second term.

If you are unable to make the AGM in person you can also vote online in the Member's Area of the BASI website.

Don't forget that as the AGM falls in the new membership year you'll need to make sure you've renewed your membership in time for your vote to count.

As last year when Coral very kindly came to chat with members on Snowheads, I've invited the candidates standing this year to come online to answer questions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi beanie1, can you give more details of the family and friends sessions please and whether they're free or we have to pay for tickets etc, for that matter are the BASI members clinics free or do we have to buy tickets? I'm presuming they're seperate to the sessions for BASI members or are they the same if trying a new discipline?

Also what's Andy Salter's presentation about?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, it's Gareth Roberts here! This is just a little bit about me for those of you who don't know me. If you don't, then I hope to meet you soon.

In November 2008, I was honoured to be elected as Alpine Director of BASI by the members. It was also my pleasure to take over the role of Vice Chairman in August 2009. I am currently heavily involved in the Board of Directors, which during my term has included assisting the Chairman and Acting CEO in the day-to-day logistics of the association. Having held these positions, I know that the Board of Directors, past and present, have served us for many years with distinction and often ‘beyond the call of duty’.

I have been a member of BASI for the past fourteen years, initially working my way through the Ski Teacher qualifications where I gained the Level 4 ISTD in 1999. Since the turn of the millennium in 2000, I have been fortunate to work as a Trainer for the Association, which has allowed me to get involved at the grass roots level and pass on my enthusiasm and inspiration to members of BASI.

I have enjoyed the period that I have acted as Alpine Director and Vice Chairman of BASI since my election. Therefore, I am in an excellent position to provide the cohesion required of a successful Board of Directors and the consistency needed to continue the good ongoing work of our outgoing Chairman. I have a sound business background and I believe that I can use these skills to continue to carry the Association through to other great successes.

It would be a huge honour for me to serve as BASI Chairman, but I do realise the responsibility and commitment it would take.

If elected BASI Chairman I hope to draw upon the pool of experience from within Association and Board to promote and nurture enjoyment and success for the membership.

My strengths are my common sense and my ability to listen, interact and get the best out of people, which has enabled me to be part of BASI since 1996 and run good sound businesses.

I therefore hope that you will entrust me with your vote at the AGM or before hand by email to roz@basi.org.uk or via yopur BASI members area.

I look forward to seeing you there. If you can't make it to Hemel and want to ask me any questions, i can get back to you on here.

All the best

Gareth
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ummm is this really about technique or ski schools?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger wrote:
Ummm is this really about technique or ski schools?

neither.......... but as you aren't a BASI member you can choose to ignore it just like other people choose to ignore threads which are not relevent to them

BTW when did you get the job of guardian of the forum rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wingate, Welcome to snowheads.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wingate, welcome to snowHeads. Apologies for missing the AGM as I'll be in Tignes (but I've voted already).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wingate, welcome to snowHeads! Hopefully we'll get time to drop into the AGM en route up North... Jules & Stevie
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wingate, welcome to Snowheads!

roga, Andy Salter's presentation is a bit "different" as it is about crocodiles...

Clinics are free to all and family & friends are welcome.

All clinics are set up for groups of 10 people maximum and they last for an hour.

The disciplines we have running are: Alpine, Snowboard & Telemark.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wingate, Welcome to snowHeads, you have my vote.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1 wrote:
wingate, welcome to Snowheads!

Ditto Very Happy
Quote:
roga, Andy Salter's presentation is a bit "different" as it is about crocodiles...

Oh lovely, I'll be sure not to miss that - snow crocodiles? Wink
Quote:
Clinics are free to all and family & friends are welcome.

Cool Very Happy

Is there a lower age limit, as in are they suitable for 7 year old kids?
Quote:
All clinics are set up for groups of 10 people maximum and they last for an hour.

The disciplines we have running are: Alpine, Snowboard & Telemark.

Great, presumably if there's space you can do more than one clinic?
Spyderman wrote:
wingate, Welcome to snowHeads, you have my vote.

Are you always so hard to get Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, the lower age limit is 16.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for clarifying that beanie1, seems like I won't be there then!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, Just want to say that I hope to see as many of you as possible at the AGM day events. Take the opportunity to come along and meet more members, the board of Directors, our new CEO and many more. The AGM is followed by an ope Forum where any member can ask the CEO questions regarding the Association, if you have an issue it would be best to email it in so that the information can be gathered to help you seek the answer (roz@basi.org.uk) and the item can be tabled.

Now after the AGM we have a guest speaker, Andy Salter who is a legend. Fro those of you who don't already know that here is some info about him...don't miss his talk. Shona Tate, BOD Secretary.

Article from 'Geographical' April 2001.

"A British mountaineer has climbed the highest peak on every continent in just 288 days, beating the previous record by a significant 300 days.
Andrew Salter, from Knebworth completed the challenge in March when he successfully scaled Aconcagua's 6965 metre peak, on the Argentine and Chilean border.

Aconcagua was the first mountain on his itinerary, but he left it until last when he was incapacitated by pulmonary oedema, acute altitude sickness. Everest was the first mountain he climbed successfully on his quest. It was his first attempt at the world's highest peak."

Andy is one of our very own BASI Trainers who delivers Telemark courses on our European programme. A true explorer and an all round good guy. He entertains his fellow trainers and students with his wonderful, colourful and extraordinary stories of his adventures. He could talk the legs off a donkey never mind a “Crocodile”. Why Crocodiles, well he is also a trained crocodile hunter and like a cat has nine lives.
His largest achievement is being world record holder of the 7 peaks on the 7 continents, article insert above above. He has led a seriously luck life and is ready to tell us all!
All his fellow BASI colleagues are so looking forward to hearing Andy put together such a talk for the members, it will be an experience not to be missed and will have your sides sore from laughing, might be certificate 18 however, be warned……
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ShonaTate, welcome to snowheads!

Many thanks for elaborating on the content of Andy's talk which sounds really interesting. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it myself, as I'll be in Shangri-La! But I hope as many members as possible make it along to the AGM and to hear Andy.
snow report
to give a bit more info re Andy Salter's talk, as Shona said 7 Peaks world record holder, raconteur and all round funny man!! as someone else has said it's a bit different as it's about his very lucky life, so, miss it and it's your loss!! it will be different and i'm looking forward to it even though i've heard it all before and great that there will be somehting other than skiing!!, something other than skiing i can hear the jibes now!!! take a chance you won't be disappointed and you can see him sweat too
ski holidays
Hope everyone at the AGM has a good time and there's enough people attending to make it quorate.

Unfortunately I can't make it due to childcare commitments so have voted online.

Have to say that the fact all the candidates for contested positions were invited to post here but only Gareth Roberts took the time to do this made a difference to how I voted, other candidates might wish to note that for future reference! Well done and thanks to Shona too for posting the info about Andy Salter - sounds like I'll be missing a fascinating talk later on today Sad

Anyway, hope it all goes well and hopefully we'll get some feedback from the day here at some point.

P.S. More courses in Scotland please (I'm hearing more positive things from Mike and others at The Ski School so hopefully that's in hand?) and more dates for Common Theory too (am happy with Glenmore as a location, after all it's one of the cradles of UK mountain snowsports so I'm *not* requesting the course be held elsewhere even if some have a problem going north of Watford Wink ) - however, those of us working in education find it almost imposible to attend on the usual dates! Would have made these points if I'd been able to attend today so might as well make them here now.
latest report
roga, I'll pass on your comments re Common Theory dates.

If anyone else who's unable to attend the AGM has any comments or suggestions they'd like to make I'll pass them on.
ski holidays
Thanks beanie1
snow conditions
Had a great session with Becci Malthouse & Andy Jerram this afternoon. Thanks BASI. Very Happy Also well done to Gareth Roberts on being elected as Chairman.
latest report
beanie1, Would you happen to know if there are going to be any more refresher courses organised before the season? At the minute on the BASI website they are all fully booked, and I need to attend one (preferably in November) Very Happy
ski holidays
freestyleandy, the best advice I have from personal experience when courses are fully booked is to call the office and ask to be put on the waiting list. If enough people do this they might add another group (subject to trainer avialability of course).
latest report
Spyderman, good to hear it. How was Andy Salter's presentation?

And well done wingate.
snow report
beanie1, I voted online, didn't stay for the AGM, had to visit Costco for dog food or Ruby wouldn't eat. I found out from PSG in the pub later.
latest report
Well what a great weekend! A BIG thank you to all that voted for me and those that were able to attend. There was plenty of activity out on the slope during the day and a great AGM that followed. Please don't forget that any questions are always welcome. Beanie1 is doing a fantastic job as the BASI Community Rep helping to keep communication channels open, so be sure to ask away! Many thanks, Gareth
latest report
wingate, thanks very much Embarassed

Congratulations on being elected!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy