Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel for a family of 5 in Dijon?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm planning an overnight stay in Dijon whilst on route for the alps in the new year. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children, and I am really struggling to find any accomodation at all. I have found one hotel with a room for 5, but they must be adults, so it seems like I will have to book two rooms, though most of these will only allow 1 child per room.
Any ideas anyone?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
captaindarling13, Welcome. We have 3 kids and always have to book 2 rooms Crying or Very sad We normally use Holiday Inns and they are always quite happy to put an extra bed in a room for the 3rd kid. The on line system may not allow you to book a room for 3 kids but when you turn up they don't give a poo-poo. Also though not all have them, ask for interconnecting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
captaindarling13, The Novotel at Beaune has rooms for 5 if thats any help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Accor hotels. Generally not sophisticated, but they do the job, are cheap, and have hundreds of hotels all over France. Most rooms in most of their brands - especially the cheaper ones - can sleep three.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
captaindarling13, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

We have two children but find family rooms for 4 + difficult to find and won't leave them on their own in the more common 3 bedded rooms. As others say, we end up with 2 x 3 person rooms, with an adult and child in each. The Etap brand (part of Accor) is OK (only OK IME) but is cheap when you have to book 2
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
when travelling down with 4 or 5 (2 kids min) just book 2x triple rooms at formule1

never bother with breakfast etc (picnic from car when arriving) then tumble into car early next am and drive for a couple of hours before a breakfast stop or another picnic
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
captaindarling13, there's a stopover gite in southern Marne that rents out gites for 4 or 6 persons by the night. Plenty space for a family, and very reasonably priced. You can also book a meal and breakfast if you wish. Maybe a bit too far north for you though. http://www.champagne-stopover.com/ski_stopover.php
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^^ Agreed. F1 tres cheap say 30 euros per room. Just somewhere to sleep. You don't have to say who's in the 3 person rooms.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into some of the suggestions. What is the problem with chidren and French hotels? Why do a lot of them limit to one child per room? Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
captaindarling13, it's more of a problem with the chain hotels I think. Have a look on Logis de France website, all are small family run places, many of them have family bedrooms, interconnecting rooms, and can probably accommodate 4-5 people. why does the hotel room for 5 you mentioned have to be occupied by 5 adults?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
captaindarling13, the Logis website can be difficult to negotiate, so I had a quick look on there, as I was looking for a hotel myself for next month. I came up with this, which has a family suite for 5 http://reservation-hotel.logishotels.com/jreservit/recupfichehotel.do?langcode=EN&hotelid=3728
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Hells B, I'll have a look at that.

I've no idea why you can get a room for 5 adults, but no children. The Formula one also states no children. Someone commented that you don't have to state who is in the rooms, the implication being that you can take children, but are these places not staffed by a receptionist? Is that how you can get away with it? What happens at breakfast?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
formule1 is all done with computers and credit cards so no receptionist is needed (you are given a personal code for your room and front door) -though some of the time there is someone around at the entrance. This means you can arrive at 3am and it doesn't matter. Even the showers and loos are self cleaning. All very "Mon Oncle"- if you know the film. Someone does arrive with croissants at breakfast time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
captaindarling13, We always use Novotel who have family rooms 2+2 although depending how young your children are top to tail them, and you will get a decent breakfast unlike the Formula Ones which I would not touch with a barge-pole.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
is the "max 1 child per room" rule to do with fire regulations maybe? just trying to figure out why such a rule/restriction would be in place.
latest report
captaindarling13, it could simply be a case of size. Some of the chains have very small rooms and would struggle to fit in a 4th bed (sometimes the third one is already a bunk over the double). We stayed in a Campanile, and with a third bed in the room , it was almost impossible to get to the bathroom. B&B chain do family rooms with a mezzanine, but not sure how many they sleep. Some of the Ibis hotels have adjoining rooms with interconnecting doors which may be suitable.
snow conditions
captaindarling13, a little bit further than Dijon but not hugely so - we use this Hotel http://www.charmilles-fr.com/hotel every time we travel that way

We have 3 kids and the room they provide for us as 2 double beds and 1 single - is plenty of room for the 5 of us.

Hotel is a bit worn but clean and with a good restaurant
ski holidays
We used this one a few summers ago:

http://www.stopoverconnections.com/france-accommodation/burgundy/bed-and-breakfast/10/258/1/accommodation-detail.html

was very good and approx 15 minutes south of Dijon. Good, but expensive restaurant on the "wine route" only 5 minutes away.
snow report
spyder_pig, we used to stay there before we took our dog on holiday. I think we ate in Nuit St Georges last time we stayed though. A better one for the summer rather than midwinter. I prefer a restaurant I can walk easily to in winter.
snow report
captaindarling13, - have you looked at the booking.com web site. You just type in the dates required and the town required and it will bring up a list of available accommodation. Also it gives an independent score based on past reviews by people who have stayed there - so you have less chance of ending up in some skanky flea pit. I have used them several times when putting together trips both in this country and abroad.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy