Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to go first week of November?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.
Just been looking at my sons school term time and he has a two week holiday from 25th October to 5th November. Was wondering were would be the best place for a short trip at that time for a budding freestyler as I have been to busy in the summer to have a holiday it would be nice to get away for 4 to 5 days of skiing. Austria is my favourite as a like to have a beer or two after skiing what will be open first week of November? What would be the best glacier & are there any events on.
Thanks in advance
Kev
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John wrote:
Tignes
Dr John, Thanks but would rather stick pins in my eyes.
snow report
 brian
brian
kevthekite, http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/stubai-live/events/detail.htm?id=332
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hintertux or Stubai glacier
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Thanks that looks like a great deal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevthekite, Sölden is another one - the World Cup opens the season that first weekend with the Men's Giant Slalom on Saturday 23rd and the Ladies on Sunday 24th October. Arriving on the evening of the 25th would be perfect! Just need to get your accommodation and travel sorted wink

Last year I ended up sitting with Vonn and Mancuso in the glacier restaurant having a late breakfast (trouble was I didn't realise it until people started coming up and taking their photos rolling eyes ). Two very pleasant young women with no airs or graces, I think they appreciated the fact that I hadn't recognised them so they could enjoy a mostly undisturbed brekkie Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevthekite,Tenerife Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Tignes

Ehhh?!!? Shocked

Don't you like skiing then? What's wrong with Tignes? Puzzled

We skiied the glacier at Tignes for 3 days in the first week of August and it was excellent Very Happy Very Happy

November should be even better...

Having said that, we are off to Hintertux in 6 weeks! Can't wait Very Happy Very Happy

The ski season beckons!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.skiandboardcamp.com From £125 you get Geneva transfers, three nights catered accommodation, three day lift pass and use of 2011 equipment (skis and snowboards!)!!!

Ah, just seen you'd rather stick pins in your eyes!! Shocked Never mind - it's a good deal if you change your mind!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LDA? I skied there a couple of years ago on the glacier on my 50th birthday (1st November)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevthekite, you asked the question mate, if you don't like the answer it's not my fault.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kevthekite, Hintertux would be a good bet as the Snowpark will be fully open by then.

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skigebiet/132/Snowpark+Hintertux.html

Accommodation and top events info can be found on this site http://www.tux.at/en/infos/home.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd definitely say Hintertux, which tends to have quite a bit open at that time of year, more than Stubai. One thing to be aware of is that All Saint's day (November 1st, a Monday this year) is a bank holiday and that means that weekend can be quite crowded as a result - so long lift queues...

The weekend before might also be a little busy as Austrian national day is on the Tuesday and a lot of people will take the Monday to make it a long weekend.

Go the week after, ditch school and you'd get to see
Olaf Henning live!!!! Cool

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 18-09-10 14:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Joanne Mountainsun, Wow! That looks tempting. OH's birthday 4th December and mine the 5th!
snow report
Quote:

Tignes

Fine.

I've skied nine European glaciers in autumn (Tignes, Hintertux, Stubai, Soelden, Pitztal, Kaunertal, Kaprun, Saas Fee and Zugspitz). Each has its pros and cons of course but IMO Tignes is on a par with any of them for terrain and a few days' early doors skiing.

A big plus for me is that the 7 minute ride on the funicular means that Tignes glacier can't be beaten for access from resort - this summer we were clicking into our skis less than 20 mins after leaving our digs in Val Claret. Also, it's not unknown for the run back to the resort to be open in early November - so a 1200m vertical would take some beating as well.

Er, what, exactly is there not to like about that Puzzled 'Pins in eyes?' A bit of a bizarre response to say the very least.

Taking all of this into account, it might be best to maybe forget Tignes, or any skiing anywhere for that matter - and have a few rewarding and relaxing days at Ikea or the local garden centre instead Toofy Grin .
latest report
LDA isn't open that week this year. It's open from 23rd Oct - 1st Nov then closes again and opens 27th Nov for Winter season.

I'm having my first experience of Autumn skiing at Tignes this year, courtesy of Mountainsun. 3 days skiing inc 3 x 3 hour lessons (Performance Clinic & Speed Clinic} for my daughter and me. I don't mind Tignes and Mountainsun's offers are so good it would be rude not to. So good I'm going again December, but most runs/lifts should be open by then.
snow report
Quote:
for a budding freestyler

The French & canadian freestyle teams are normally training in Tignes early November. So lots of inspiration Very Happy

But if you don't fancy it, go to Austria wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, The run back to resort has opened early November the last 4 years - not sure about before then as we weren't running the ski and board camp then. More lifts tend to open as the snow comes. We're opening next weekend though ... can't wait to be up there this time next week!
snow conditions
Hi, does anyone know when the fist snow falls is Andorra, and the slopes open? Thinking of booking a week. Any recommendations for cheap accommodation , and the better snowboaring areas would be appreciated?
Thanks.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads spears, snowHead
First snowfall? I'm afraid that's crystal ball stuff. There have actually been a few snowfalls in the Alps already (has there been anything in the Pyrenees yet?), although not much of it will stick around until the season begins.
I suggest, keeping an eye on the <a href="http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snow_reports.php">snow reports</a> and then booking something short notice when the conditions are right.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Tignes

Also, it's not unknown for the run back to the resort to be open in early November - so a 1200m vertical would take some beating as well.

Over 1400m from the top of the cable-car.
latest report
spears, As admin, says crystal ball stuff, and that is not just Andorra. However last season Soldeu/El Tarter published date for opening was the last weekend in November but due to a large dump of snow the opening was brought forward 2 weeks but just for the weekends only. By the official opening date most of the snow had melted in a warm spell rolling eyes !! In reality it was mid December before the whole resort opened. By contrast the season before I was skiing in waist deep powder on the 27th Nov. If you search youtube there are several videos from that time. Cool
ski holidays
Admin & Dypcdiver, cheers for the input. Just trying to get gauge on the places for the earliest possible skiing in Europe. Would you say the Alps or Pyrenees be a better bet for around November?
latest report
Quote:

Would you say the Alps or Pyrenees be a better bet for around November?

The Alps, but only selected bits of it. Many resorts won't open till shortly before Christmas, however deep the snow.
latest report
spears, for November skiing I would be thinking glaciers, see the discussions above. A few more places open right at the end of the month (and there will be a few fun opening weekend parties). But even so I'd probably be tempted towards areas with glaciers and would be hoping for some good early snow... Smile
latest report
The Pyrenees is famous for late snow, from equinox storms coming in off the Atlantic. Its still a cycling resort in Nov.

Methinks the OP wants to go somewhere that will have no snow and will not counter any proposal that he should go somewhere where its guaranteed... lest he has to stick pins in his eyes.
snow report
Quote:

Also, it's not unknown for the run back to the resort to be open in early November - so a 1200m vertical would take some beating as well.

Quote:

Over 1400m from the top of the cable-car.

I was correct in thinking that Val Claret is at 2100m but had mistakenly thought that the top of the cable car was 3300m. However the piste map shows the top at 3456m - which means a vertical of 1356m......This means that we both stand corrected (me in my orthopaedic ski boots, obviously Toofy Grin )!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double M is a classic quad burning roller coaster of a red. As Jo has corrected, 1356m from the top station - an epic run.

All this is irrelevant as the OP fancies Austria... in November.

FAF
latest report
It's been snowing pretty heavily in Hintertux for the last 24 hours, would imagine it should be over a foot of new snow on the glacier in the next few days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy