Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone ever driven for a long weekend (from up North preferably)

Poster: A snowHead
Question is all in the title really, planning a boys off piste trip in January and we are considering driving as an option, out Thursday, prob drive all day, back on the following Monday post ski

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, We have driven to the Alps several times (from the coast north of Liverpool, so not much different for you), but NEVER for a long weekend Shocked If you are setting off from Leeds-ish to the coast, the ferry will take c.2 hours, and it's then 8-10 hours without any meaningful stops. You may get into the resort in time for bed on Thursday night. You could ski 3 days admittedly, but if only then setting off after skiing all day Monday, you would need to stop somewhere for the night, meaning you won't get home until Tuesday pm, dependent on ferry schedules, which makes it closer to a week, than a (long) weekend.

Are you scared of flying Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Used to do this all the time, (from North London).

We'd meet up after work on, say, Thursday evening. Ferry (then later on, the shuttle) at say 9.00pm, then take turns driving overnight down to the French Alps, arriving at dawn.

Some strong coffee and the sight of the snow covered mountains is enough to banish the uncomfortable night. Ski Friday, Saturday, Sunday, then have a more civilised drive home on Monday.

We actually ended up getting too efficient at the drive, sometimes turning up in the resort at 4.00 in the morning and having a cold uncomfortable wait for the cafes to open.

I don't see why you couldn't do similar from the North, although you'll probably need a full car to make it economic, and at least three drivers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or keep an eye on the weather.
And drive 6 hours north for a long weekend to Aviemore / Fort William / Glencoe instead...

End of Jan was ok last year Wink

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap, I play (and captain) a hockey team so last minutes Sats are out of the question unfortunately! I did manage a very nice mid week trip myself to Nevis and Gorm in March....

Anniepen, I have 3 other friends in Reading who quite fancy it, so I'd go down to their house the night before...it's the coming back driving on my own (either from Folkestone or Reading) I am not so sure about!!

I am more inclined to fly than them, but then hire car for 1 doesn't cost in very well!
Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I once drove Brighton to Fort William for a weekend on a half open Nevis Range.

About 26 hours travel for about 12 hours snowtime.

Hardcore.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spud9,
Quote:

Used to do this all the time, (from North London).

I always drive down overnight and ski the whole of the next day, try and arrive at 8 am ish but as spud9 says it is a shock to arrive at 4am in the morning, couple of seasons ago I thought it was a good idea to get a couple of hours sleep in the car (big 4x4) WOW what a mistake even with jacket and a sleeping bag I was frozen when I woke up my face felt like ice.
I was told afterwards by a couple or army mates, that when its really cold your body heat is trying to heat up the whole car, it was about -12 at the time. There was ice on the inside of the windscreen Shocked

Driving back I usually ski most of the day leave resort about 3pm,

I always have a good supply of dark chocolate in the car the really strong stuff, seems to work for me wink[/b]
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, apparently they are introducing a brand new transport system for the folks in the north called an "aeroplane" - kind of a pointy aluminium tube with wings. Seriously, google it.

I used to regularly drive to the alps for week-ends - from London but pre-tunnel - and that was only because flying was darn pricey back then for anything other than a week. Even with a clear run both ways (unlikely given that you've got the UK bit to do) I reckon it's just too much of a faff for a few days.

Mr Technique, pah, I once did that and got NO skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, read the whole thread before making smart back bottom comments please....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, we've done a week for the EOSB (9 days including the stopovers), but not for a long weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, we drove down to Courchevel overnight Thursday, arrived and had breakfast, met up with friends who were already there for the week, skied for the day, big dinner, then the next day we skied till about 2.30 or 3, changed and attended the wedding in the church of the same friends which must have been late afternoon; back to their chalet and all the chalet staff from the three chalets everyone was staying in had pooled resources and done a great meal. The sight of all the Champagne out in the snow was quite something. Then we drove back during Sunday, arriving back before some of those who had left the same time as us and flown. Think we used the tunnel that time.

So just had Friday off and back to work Monday - lovely - 'had a nice weekend?' - 'yes skiing in the Three Valleys'

But we started off from Guildford area
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I'd point out the maths to them I suspect there wouldn't be much of a saving (if any) by driving. Certainly not worth the hassle. I drive at Easter but that is for 9 days skiing, cheap it isn't for 2 of us, but in that instance the convenience wins.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B, maths from reading folk:

Flying
Car hire - £100-200
Fuel - £40
Flights - £125 each if cheap (x 4 inc skis/bags)

Driving
Fuel - £130
Tolls - £130
Tunnel - £120 (tesco vouchers possible too)
Insurance - £30 ?

£172 ish flying vs £102ish driving each....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, For 4 of you probably is quite a bit cheaper, for some reason I thought it was 3. Still a lot of hassle though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, how much is £70 versus the amount you spend on electronic gadgets every year? wink
latest report
Yep - done it a couple of times. Would probably prefer flying but I think there are upsides to driving even for a long weekend:

- feels more like a roadtrip
- can take more kit
- don't get stung for car hire excess etc
- avoids the extra boredom/stress at both ends - leaving contingency time to get to airport/security scrum/flight delays. Leave resort when you want rather than early doors to get the earlier flight or be left hanging around the airport for the last flight of the day, almost inevitably delayed after a full day's schedule
snow report
kitenski, Done it several times for a long weekend. Usually leave Warrington at 9pm. Down to Folkestone to catch Le Shuttle and have been sitting in a cafe in Chamonix by 11am the following morning. Helpful to have at least 3 or 4 people so rotate the driving. Only stop for petrol, toilet; coffee and sandwiches on the go. Would leave on Tuesday evening and back home/to work late morning/lunchtime on Wednesday. Tiring but great fun.
latest report
Arno wrote:
kitenski, how much is £70 versus the amount you spend on electronic gadgets every year? wink

feck all, but there are 3 others involved here......I'd have booked flights by now if it was just me...
latest report
Spud9,north London Is hardly up north is it? Even if the traffic is bad you are at the channel tunnel in an hour. Get your timing right you could be in Chamonix in 10 hours, from your front door. It takes that long to clear passport control to get out of Leeds Twisted Evil
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Question is all in the title really, planning a boys off piste trip in January and we are considering driving as an option, out Thursday, prob drive all day, back on the following Monday post ski

Cheers,

Greg

Leave Weds evening. Rag it 100mph autopilot nonstop in shifts. Ski Thurs am to Mon pm. Jump from piste to car. Hoon it back. Work Tues with a tan. Sweet.
ski holidays
Quote:

Leave Weds evening. Rag it 100mph autopilot nonstop in shifts. Ski Thurs am to Mon pm. Jump from piste to car. Hoon it back. Work Tues with a tan. Sweet.

Smile Smile
ski holidays
kitenski, it's the Leeds to Dover trip that's the bad part of the journey. Have you considered getting the ferry from Hull across to Holland & drive from there - I know a few who've done it (.Dot for one) & they reckoned it was a lot better than drivin' down south.
ski holidays
That's right make the make buggars from down south drive up north, see how they like that Toofy Grin
ski holidays
spyderjon, Agreed. I've done Hull to Rotterdam a few times and it's a great way to start a trip. Short journey to Hull and then overnight with a meal and a few beers, followed by a good nights sleep, early breakfast and an early start to the drive to the resort.

Just don't use the RAC journey planner to plot your route from Rotterdam. I did and it told me to get the ferry back to Hull and drive to Dover, then get the Ferry to Calais and drive from there. Shocked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
hull-zeebrugge might make a bit more sense for french alps? don't think you gain much for a long weekend though. assuming you leave work for evening ferry, you arrive in zeebrugge early am and drive all day. makes sense for a week though - breaks up the journey a bit.
latest report
Last year I drove to Nendaz from Dundee in my Mitsubishi pick up with my 3 kids. Quite straightforward really. Left about 6.30am, got on the tunnel at roughly 7pm. Drove for a further 150 miles on the other side. Stayed in cheap hotel. Got up 8am next day and arrived Nendaz at 3.30pm. The next day I was back down to Sion to pick up the missus who had refused to come in the vehicle, thus had flown out and got the train from Geneva.

Admittedly it was not for a weekend, and I was a bit frazzled!

Kids watched the box set of Fawlty Towers on the DVD non stop, they'd never seen it before and were hooting themselves.

If it were me I would leave lunchtime and get to London to meet the rest for a quick start after they finish work. Drive till say midnight, stay in cheap hotel, get up sharp and finish the drive. I just wouldn't sleep in the car, driving or not and I would be so knackered it would all be a bit pointless.
latest report
Last time I looked the hull ferries were very expensive & would mean three folk from reading driving up to hull, by which time they could have been across the channel!!!
latest report
sound like you need to move to Reading! Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I once drove Brighton to Fort William for a weekend on a half open Nevis Range. About 26 hours travel for about 12 hours snowtime.
Hardcore.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Fantastic and hats off to yer - but were the Alps closed? Toofy Grin

Four of us once drove from North East England to Austria for a long weekend in May.

Left late Thurs night:
Night one - 3am ferry crossing (minimal sleep).
Nights 2 and 3 - camping in Stubai Valley.
Night 4 - camping in Germany en route to the Channel, arriving home on day 5.

2000 mile round trip; 35 hours driving; one day skiing at Stubai glacier and one day hiking to a mountain summit. Totally exhausting but glorious weather and an absolutely fantastic time.
snow report
kitenski, ir's only cheaper because you ignore servicing, tyre wear and depreciation from your equation. All of those are mileage dependent. That's fine if you don't mind subsidising your three tight-fisted spongers.... I'm sorry.... my mistake - your three friends. Wink
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, fortunately we wouldn't go in my car Smile
latest report
Arno wrote:
sound like you need to move to Reading! Wink
Woah!

There's no need for that kind of talk
snow conditions
kitenski, ah ha.... Toofy Grin
latest report
My Dad drove to Zermat for the weekend in the 60's in his frog eye Healey Sprite. Quality.
latest report
I think it depends how old you are. 30 years ago in my late 20s BT (before tunnel) I got a 5 day ferry ticket Harwich to Ostend (much cheaper than longer stay) drove from Cambridge early Monday (no roofrack, skis inside car) then ferry then drove through Belgium, Lux, Germany, Switz then France) and got to a B&B in France. Early Tue, with nothing booked, drove to Flaine (first time for me and had no chains), discovered there was only one week lets so bought a one-way cablecar ticket and skied top to bottom. Back in car, drove to Cham, found a hotel and spent Wed and Thur skiing in Cham. Had to make the ferry Fri morning so drove through Thur night (just me, OH not insured) and made ferry bleary eyed. Couldn't sleep on ferry and I remember almost hallucinating driving back to Cambridge (not very clever) but made it. Wouldn't dream of doing that now. Although I reckon driving is still the cheapest way (even for two) I wouldn't do it for less than a week now. But I'm getting old........
snow report
Easyjet are currently offering January flights from Liverpool to Geneva for £67 return including tax (Friday out/Tuesday back). Add 2 ski bags between 4 and it's still only £86 each.

With those prices I don't think driving is worth the effort just to save a few bob....

Each to their own though. Driving for the wekend will still be far better than not going skiing! wink
snow conditions
I was just looking at ferry prices earlier for middle of january and driving from Scotland (for a week admittedly) for 3 of us...

Norfolk Line is only £50 return! plus 3 tanks of fuel (£180) + tolls (£100ish)

£330 / 3 = £110 each

flights are coming in at around £500 / 3 = £166 each + transfers

Flying probably still wins!
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

I once drove Brighton to Fort William for a weekend on a half open Nevis Range. About 26 hours travel for about 12 hours snowtime.
Hardcore.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Fantastic and hats off to yer - but were the Alps closed? Toofy Grin .

The Alps were very much open Smile

(It was one of roga's outings, plus I have friends in Fort Bill so there was another reason to do it apart from having a slide)

weeSKI's dad wins the thread, by the way.
snow conditions
When the volcanic ash threatened my end of season trip to Tignes we drove ..... London - Eurotunnel - Tignes. We got into France at about 1am ish and were in Tignes at lunchtime. We skied for two days and then drove back, exhausted but so worth it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy