Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coming Up a bit Short.

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER, fair enough.. i think it goes back to the how much off piste the person REALLY does. I would agree with you on "mainly" or "always" off piste skis and just sold some karmas that were too short for me as i thought getting the float through width would be enough..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, So i'd ski a Karma in 177. You?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, if you can ski a 177 carver in powder with some levels of float, why does a wider ski also need to be longer?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, they skied okay and i bought em originally as one ski all rounders but i didnt like the twin tips and i much, much more preferred head magnums over the karmas. I have 177 titans on order for all rounders and the karmas got crowded out so sold em... i like a turny ski but for a more off piste ski i am looking for longer say a 190 with 100 underfoot mantras seem to tick a lot of boxes for an off piste only ski for me.. tip dive would be the main reason to go a bit longer for me..

SMALLZOOKEEPER, definitely longer but i am going to hire some different skis to try out this year for off piste days if i am lucky to get any when on hols... i dont disagree that if you are doing a fair bit off off piste why not go longer..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Dave C - saying 'going shorter makes it easier to turn' is like saying 'leaning back helps you in powder' rolling eyes

FTW!

Monium, you are an idiot and need more ski lessons. If you find shorter skis easier to turn and lessons aren't helping, get yourself to the gym.

( Hurtle, if we're playing the old I used to ski on game: my last skis before "the parabolic revolution" were 215cm - RC4 Vacuum race stock.)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor, eek! That's a lot of centimetres. (ed.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Dave C - saying 'going shorter makes it easier to turn' is like saying 'leaning back helps you in powder' rolling eyes

FTW!

Sigh. I'll let my pow skis know they're not behaving themselves next time they're cumbersome in tight spots, then. It's pretty obvious that shorter skis are more easily manoeuvred. It's also pretty obvious that length adds stability (fore/aft) and surface area (float), which are characteristics that're defined by preference not requirement. IMO it's pretty clear if you "must" have the longest skis possible, then you must have poor balance. If you're not a charger, or you prefer trees, or any other reasonable preference, "going longer" isn't guaranteed particularly valid advice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ No point having a bun fight over the web about ski length.

However I strongly believe that for off-piste skis most UK peeps buy them too short.
If you need to go wide(er) then you also need to go long(er).
As rule of thumb an off-piste ski should be on average 10cm longer than what you would use as a piste carver.
Especially if it is rockered - where there is shorted effective edge length.
And if you cant handle a ski length (relative to your height) then your probably better looking at other models ?

Salomn Lord (50% on / 50% off) comes in 162cm upto 185cm.
The burlier Shogun comes in longer lengths upto 191cm
And the El-Dictator (which looks like a real weapon) only comes in 194cm.
There is a very good reason for that!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 19-09-10 8:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, stuff like the El Dictator are niche skis built for people that are charging AK lines. I'm sure that's the average Snowhead. Wider skis go up in scale in all dimensions, which is pretty obvious, but randomly going from a correctly sized middle of the available size range carver to the top of the range fat ski because "you should go longer" doesn't actually make any sense, unless you spend your time going fast and out of balance when you're off piste, then I guess it's a pretty decent idea.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has this become some kind of reverse pissing contest - if you have to go to the biggest length you lack skillz? I'd have thought the logic is demo skis until you find one you like then try a size up/down in that ski to see what works for you best. I can't see any merit in selecting the same length in an all mountain ski or a twin tip or a rockered ski you would in a pisten carven ski so the best rule of thumb would seem to me to be to maintain a consistent position in the range.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, no, your best rule of thumb is exactly what I'm saying, which is why all this "off piste skis should be longer, go for the longest" stuff, and "the best pow skis only come in 194" type stuff is just total nonsense. Plus, different ski lengths can have totally different flex patterns, performance and even shapes.

Then again, I just spotted SZK's actual point behind this thread, which makes sense, but it doesn't seem to be what anyone on the "longest ski possible" bandwagon is saying.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my powder skis are the same length as my every day skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Then again, I just spotted SZK's actual point behind this thread, which makes sense, but it doesn't seem to be what anyone on the "longest ski possible" bandwagon is saying.

So back to the start. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski on what ever is easiest and most comfortable. For recreational skiers it is supposed to be fun, rather than hard work! for the most fun I ski on my slalom skis at 155cm, most of the time I'm on 160cm all-mountains (slaloms have too much side-cut for teaching) and my powder skis are only 160cm, and 94mm underfoot - because I don't like the edge to edge rool-over time on anything wider once back on-piste. Yes, my powder skis could do with being a little wider, and a little longer for true powder days but for the 1 or 2 days we get each season it's not worth it.

Womwn don't seem to worry about the length of their skis - it's always the blokes who are saying "mine's longer than yours...."!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skinanny, No but it does tend to be the women that say "I'm not going on those ski holidays anymore, i just can't seem to get enough length."
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I wouldn't know - I don't go on ski holidays.
snow conditions
So it's true! Shocked
latest report
I'm a bit concerned about the indiscriminate mixing of imperial and metric units in this thread, it's important to to keep consistency.

I'm 5'11", my first skis were 6'7", then 6'1", my current skis are 5'7". snowHead
snow report
your to's are too consistent..

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 20-09-10 17:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Last holiday I did half and half skiing and boarding.

Snowboard: 168
Skis: 167

I am 14 stone and a tad-over 6 foot.

I love riding short skis, so sue me assholes.
ski holidays
with half skiing do you still get the free wine included ?...
snow conditions
Spud9 wrote:
I'm a bit concerned about the indiscriminate mixing of imperial and metric units in this thread, it's important to to keep consistency.

I'm 5'11", my first skis were 6'7", then 6'1", my current skis are 5'7". snowHead

I like the mixing of C deg and F deg, I use centigrade for cold weather and Fahrenheit for hot, go figure.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
skinanny, No but it does tend to be the women that say "I'm not going on those ski holidays anymore, i just can't seem to get enough length."

But don't lots say size doesn't matter, or is it just me that they say that to!!
ski holidays
Quote:

my missus says that short ones are fine but would like to try out a longer length, especially a fatter one in the back country !
ski holidays
Quote:

No but she took the "preacher" with the huge tip and lots of width in the back country after a big dump she said "it stretched her"
latest report
Laughing Are you seriously trying to make me wee wee myself!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy