Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coming Up a bit Short.

Poster: A snowHead
Can't believe how short many of you buy your skis. I saw a trend for this 10 years ago, but honestly. For the most part you all seem to be 1 size down too many.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you know what they say about a man with big skis or a big car..... Laughing (i'm a smartcar and blades man myself oh yes ladies Cool )

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 15-09-10 17:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i realise my mistake and am doing something about it Very Happy

true though...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, I hoped you pick this up, and can perhaps explain the process and pitfalls. Put simply, you'll buy new skis earlier if you buy short and then attribute it to your progress. When really anyone can ski a ski of any length, it might take a few more tries but be worth it in the long run.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, i wish there were more skis available in 190-194
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm 5'7" and I usually ski around 160-165 although have been known to love 155s if I'm hiring (they are so much fun!). However I was once offered a pair of 170+s as rentals and after two or three attempts I gave up with the 'clown feet' skis and went happily back to my trust 163s. They really did make me feel like I had clown feet on the ends of my legs and couldn't get on with them at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, if everyone upsizes wont this dilute your heroic "long ski look"? wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive just gone 12cm longer than another pair of skis ive ever skied before..... Havent tried them out yet though NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5'9" & on 183's & 196's. I used to ski 162's before I realised that Parlor was right all along Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The solution is simple, just stand your skis on top of your boots in the cable car.

My first skis were 215! I am down to 185 now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
shoogly, I hoped you pick this up, and can perhaps explain the process and pitfalls. Put simply, you'll buy new skis earlier if you buy short and then attribute it to your progress. When really anyone can ski a ski of any length, it might take a few more tries but be worth it in the long run.

I agree w/ the bolded part, so I don't see why it's really an issue people might err to the shorter side. Seems reasonable to me, a ski too long can be uncontrollable while a shorter ski needs more refined balance to keep stable. Shape and stiffness seem like much more relevant mistakes that actually cause people to need new skis...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So what's the guideline lengths per weight, height and ability Mr keeper of the zoo?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 6'2-3"ish and running 185s. But thats because the enforcers don't go any longer. Those Movement Super Turbos in a 202 look pretty fun though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My first skis were 180s and I'm now down to 152s. In truth they don't feel super-stable, but I'm working on the 'more refined balance'. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
5'9" & on 183's & 196's. I used to ski 162's before I realised that Parlor was right all along Toofy Grin

DING. DING.

At 6'1" I sometimes wish that I was shorter, for skiing anyway. As I like being 6'1" I would like some powder skis over 2m please, especially if they are rockered.

Long skis truck. Short skis suck.

I get blown away by the number of times I see people skiing on short skis, and worse, they *think* that makes them easier to ski... haha.

(In a slightly less trolling fashion I am thinking of adding a slightly shorter ski to my quiver this year, something around a 180-186cm mark, some of the "tree skiing" here in north america is gay and needs gay skis. Probably a 183cm Royale Neh Neh )
ski holidays
5'7 174lbs. Used to be 200 + in the day, 195 dynastar sl, then a 17 (something) x scream, then a 158 rossi 9s. switched to a volkl pro 163 , then same in 177. Now on the 169 seths and in for some 179's. I think the trend is going to be get a longer ski. The shaped skis are easier to ski, and the progression in fat ski versatility i believe will get people pushing themselves that bit more across the mountain. They will then be looking for a much stabler ski at speed and one they dont keep going over the front of. ( or is that a lot of shite Puzzled )
snow report
Edge2Edge have a guide
Not sure how good it is

http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/hire_sizes.html
ski holidays
Ooo...hark at me, my first skis were 160's, my new skis are 168's at the moment that feels more than sufficient for the foreseeable future. I'm around 5'9"
latest report
jasongibson100, not bad, but they forgot the +5/10 for added gnarl box rolling eyes
snow report
At 5'6" I have always been short but skis have gone from 152 in first pair bought in 1999 when short was beautiful, in the four pairs since then have gone from 152 to 155 to 162 to 168, and have just been bought into the present with a pair of 185 HSFR
snow conditions
parlor,
Quote:

something around a 180-186cm mark
Crikey, and you're over 6ft. That sounds unbelievably short to someone of 5ft 2ins who used to ski 180s! (Old skool skis, obviously wink)
latest report
jasongibson100 wrote:
Edge2Edge have a guide
Not sure how good it is

http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/hire_sizes.html
Interestingly, this doesn't refer to height at all. It says I'm supposed to be skiing on 160s: could well be true. Confused
snow conditions
Going by that a chubby gnarly chap should be on 190
ski holidays
hmm @ table. what about those of us that are 6'3 and ca. 100kg?

The one I found ironic was being told in one of my 1st weeks' skiing that I was "not experienced enough to use a carve ski". So they gave me a pair of Elan skis. Only 195cm.

Tend to ski about a 177ish these days (Atomic/Salomon GS, Elan Magfire, Rossi Zenith, K2 something), probably cos that's a rental store "long" ski. Might be tempted to push it out to 180-181cm if/when I buy.
latest report
andy wrote:
what about those of us that are 6'3 and ca. 100kg?

They should try not to laugh at those who are 5'10'' and 100 and a bit.
latest report
Hurtle, I think that the first skis I used must have been quite long as it was 15+ years ago, I wonder if the long length was why the skiing didn't click for me back then? You have obviously seen a huge change in the length that you ski, which have you found easier - the longer or the shorter?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 15-09-10 22:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Think the original point is a pretty good one - I certainly find myself looking at longer and longer skis (for the record, 5'8" and on 179s but in a twintip).

Quite interested by the weight angle though - is that really the main factor? I'd naturally think about someone's height when picking a ski length for them, and pay very little attention to weight. I can see that someone heavier might want a stiffer ski, but much longer too?
snow report
Megamum, my first skis were not comparable with what I ski now, because they were a different type of ski. My first carvers were about 170s I think: they were OK and I was loth to give up the stability of that length, but was persuaded to go shorter for the undoubted manoeuvrability. Swings and roundabouts, really.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ChrisWo,
Quote:

Quite interested by the weight angle though - is that really the main factor? I'd naturally think about someone's height when picking a ski length for them, and pay very little attention to weight. I can see that someone heavier might want a stiffer ski, but much longer too?
Me too, seems weird that height should be entirely discounted. Wonder what SMALLZOOKEEPER thinks?
latest report
How short is too short? My ski ownership has gotten shorter and shorter each time, from 190 to 185 to 174 and now 162.
snow conditions
This one seems a little more comprehensive.

http://www.frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide-skis.htm

No idea if its any better with its results though
snow report
I'm 5ft 11 and I dont know what length my skis are.
I'm so bad .................
snow conditions
tiffin, hmm, about 148-149 on that one, so a tad shorter than what I'm skiing on.
ski holidays
from the things no more thread

daehwons wrote:
ski's longer than 2m Razz
ski holidays
my missus says that short ones are fine but would like to try out a longer length, especially a fatter one in the back country ! Shocked
snow report
limegreen1, has she tried twin tips?
ski holidays
The first calculator came up with 174, the second 163 - they are obviously to be believed, because they are black boxes Laughing
snow report
limegreen1, the best post I've ever read on here sir, bar none Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
limegreen1, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
5'11" 100kg+ and skiing 167s. And loving it. Short skis are the future. Fat skis are the future. People who ski too long are just living in the 80s, when even people like me were using 190+ straight skis...

No idea why anyone would go for massively long skis - they're harder to turn, if you need stability at speed get a stiffer ski, if you need float in powder go wider.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy