Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late December DIY? First timer!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heya all,

I'm sure this should have been pretty easy, but I'm not having much luck. Situation is that I would like to sort out a ski holiday from 24th-ish Dec to 3rd Jan. This is just for one (or two) person. Also there's a possibility that my mates will want to come along for a "regular" Sun-Sun week.

Given the above, I've been looking around for either chalets or hotels that'll fit the bill, and not for an INSANE price & I'm not having much luck Sad

* Everyone seems to be doing Sunday-Sunday this year. No exceptions
* Chalets are mindblowingly expensive. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with DIYing but still prices seems a bit incredible
* I just don't know where to look for non-Sun-Sun bookings
* I'd like to see if it's possible to sort out something so that my mates can come after spending Xmas with their families.

I've sorted out millions of holidays, but never a ski holiday so bit of new territory for me especially sorting out accommodation. I'm not sure where I'd want to go - somewhere with decent apres ski? I'm more looking for advice on how I can arrange something that'll fit my requirements for a sane price rather than anything specific - although if you have anything specific in mind, throw it at me! Smile

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrdini, Sorry to say that you were wrong to think it would be "pretty easy" to find a cheap holiday for a non-standard period of time at one of the most expensive time - New Year. That is bound to be pretty expensive.

As it's your first trip skiing, you might find it easier to go with one of the tour operators.

How are you thinking of travelling? And what kind of accommodation. When you say "chalets" do you mean a catered chalet, or one you rent for self catering? And what kind of numbers - of people and of money - are you thinking about? Driving or flying?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry - I should make it clear I've skied a fair few times in the past. Just never done DIY at all! (FWIW, a few times in Soldeu, plus Argentiere & Zermatt)

As for the rest, I'm flexible at the end of the day - I just want to know if it's possible at all to do 24th Dec-3rd Jan? But just to try to answer your questions....

*) Plane. Although could make do with train, given that I've got time(!)
*) Accommodation - happy with basics. Stayed at UCPA Argentiere & that was pretty decent so am happy with that if needs be! I've never tried a chalet holiday though, so if the ideal one came up, I'm sure I could gather together some of my mates for a "normal" 1 week Sun-Sun trip. (The problem would be where I'd stay for the extra days!)
*) Numbers - Just me for now. But if I find something for a decent price, one mate (who doesn't "do" Xmas either) might join in for the extra-long holiday. And finally, maybe a few more if I find a decent Sun-Sun chalet deal in the same location. I hope that makes sense!

HTH!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mrdini, 2 Hopes, Bob and no.....unless you pay for 3 weeks... the TO's want to fill every bed slot for those peak weeks. By 'insisting' on going on the 24th then you're eating into 'those that want to be away for xmas week bookings' and then the following week you're totally into prime peak (new year) market.

Personally I reckon the only smidge of a chance would be took look at hostel type places as they tend to be more flexible on days/nights rather than week to week. A couple that spring to mind include http://www.chaletarc.co.uk/ and http://www.chaletchardons.com/index.html in Tignes which is probably a bit livelier than chaletarc. Otherwise google ski hostel + resort x to get some suggestions

Good luck with it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrdini, New Year week, however you define it, is the most expensive week of the year. We could fill our apartments at full price many times over on New Year's eve let alone in advance. Try expedia?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrdini, to echo other replies, New Year sells itself, but I have still had enquiries from desperate people who - and they seem genuinely surprised at this - can't find anything that fits their very specific requirements, when they only started looking in September or later. Added to this, your dates are very awkward cutting across 3 letting weeks, at least one of which is peakest of the peaks.

You could try posting a message on the Solutions Room on Chalets Direct, just on the off-chance that someone has an odd space that they'd like to fill, but even then, it's not going to be cheap. Good luck
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrdini,
Have a look at the Boomerang Hotel in Les Gets and their annexe the Chalet Boomerang which I believe does short stays so you may be able to find something there:

http://www.leboomerang.com/le_boomerang2.htm

and then either all be able to stay there or you could fine somewhere else for the rest of the party

As already stated it is difficult time of year to be non-standard (having said that I have let our chalet for two weeks over Christmas and New Yearon a Tuesday to Tuesday basis to people who were happy to fit in with what suited us, and I think really suited them)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Finding accomodation is always a pain for non standard times, esp at new year.

Last year I used pierre et vacanes (www.pv-holidays.com) - they do self catering appartments in major resorts in france, pretty basic but they do take flexible bookings. I used them in val thorens last new year. Most of them are ski in ski out and in centre of resorts.

Otherwise there are a handful of chalets that seem to have wise up to the flexible skier market - have a look at the 'weekends' section of chalet direct (http://www.chaletsdirect.com/weekends.htm) which has the email address of the owners so you can contact them directly.

good luck....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy