Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria-esp Pamporovo-any thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
My wife's work colleagues are planning a trip to Pamporovo,March 06.I've yet to see the itinerary but;flying out of Birmingham,H/B at the Hotel Rozhen,weeks stay,all in(min of 8)for £190!!!!!!!The only extra I'm told will be lift passes.Now that is cheap???????

Questions:I've looked at the piste map,have to say it looks very limited.The food has a very dodgy reputation?Is it a question of avoiding the hotel and eating out all week?It might be cheap,but who wants to waste a weeks skiing,not me!We've all got our own kit,so hire is not an issue.I'm not sold on the idea(nor my son)but are we biased?Thoughts anyone.

PS-wife,and colleagues,all work in the catering dept of a leading Public School;1/2 of them are chefs.Probably explains why none of them are wary of Bulgarian food wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

have to say it looks very limited

It looks that way coz it is. Not that I have anything against skiing there, mind but personally I can't see why Bulgaria holds any attraction in terms of cheapness. Easy to get £190 deals for a much better set-up in any number of Alpine destinations. What's wrong with your spouse's colleague that they can't wait until the last minute & booking a cut-price 2* Crystal/Thomson chalet in Courch 1650??? Shocked wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Manda, just for context.. have you been ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowskisnow, The hotel you are considering used to be grim-it may have been upgraded? When I skied Pamporovo, the snow was ice-just ice. The food was good where I stayed at the Malinka Chalets-but lots of horror stories from other hotels over lunch each day. I would describe my grub as really old fashioned,ie: chicken soup with real chicken bones (I think they were chicken bones wink )
The only run to suit experienced skiers is the wall, I skied part of it as a 2nd week skier in a well run ski school class. Experienced problems getting currency legally, had to deal on the black market despite best efforts. Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been to Pamporovo and had better confess to a soft spot for Bulgaria by way of a bias. There is really only one hill to ski on and the runs are not extensive. There is a nice blue through trees on the far side of the mountain and a red/black that is quite steep down the front. There are some nice trails through the trees and a road to ski down that is often busy and icy. I would say skiing wise it is really only suitable for a first or maybe second weeker.

The food is OK. Better than Russian food but that isn't saying much. Most people take the ski and boot hire/lift pass/instruction package for around £100. Now that is seriously cheap if you are trying it for the first time and the instructors really look after you.

On that basis it's great. Does that fit with what you wantsnowskisnow, ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Forget Pamporovo and try Bansko instead, the ski domain is larger and there are something like 350 ish (I know a mind bogling figure and I was/still am slightly skeptical!) Mehanas (restaurants) in town. Was there a week or so ago and a meal (starter+ main)+ beers came to something like £14 !!!!!!! and it was B*&^%$y gorgeous to ! Well theres my 2 pennies worth !

Rich

p.s Just re-read my post forgot to say the £14 was for 4 of us in total !!!!!

p.p.s Including tip !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Type23, I was considering Bansko for next season. Frankly, it is the only place in east europe I would consider:

which tour operator did you go with?
where did you stay?
is there much for advanced skiers? off-piste?

They say the lift system is pretty modern, but that the town itself is a bit undeveloped? Is this your impression?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish,have to confess that the whole scenario does not fit with me at all.I'm trying not to be biased,having never been near Bulgaria,but nothing I have read has 'plucked my string' as yet wink As me dad used to say "ya gets what yer pays for"
Having 'googled' around,the constant theme is cheap.Cheap beer,spirits,fags,mountain facilities and general outlook.That's OK by me,so long as the skiing is reasonable.As all of 'my lot' are reasonably competent,that's in doubt?All of my wife's colleagues are indeed 'one to two week' skiers,plus a possible complete beginner.For them,Pamporovo may well be a good choice;but we passed that stage a few years ago.And as I no longer yearn to 'blow' my brains out on every ski trip,I'll pass on the £1 a bottle vodka Confused

Manda,if you can get me a guaranteed,£190 all in deal in a French alpine resort,go for it.I'll tip you £20 for your trouble.Times 8=£160 for nothing,easy money rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise wrote:
Manda, just for context.. have you been ?

ise, you're surely not suggesting Manda is ... retentive? Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman,don't think there's any worries on that score;a pile of it was let loose up above wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ice,
Travelled independently, stayed in B&B. Loads of off piste with a guide possible. Plenty of Skiing for all levels of ability. Village/town is extremely quaint and not so in the “dark ages” as you would imagine. Cheap certainly, but also good value for money + just something different to Skiing in a major European destination e.g France, Austria etc. Don’t get me wrong it can’t compare with Val D or St Anton but is a totally different kettle of fish and well worth a visit in my opinion. Ideally suited to a group skiing holiday!

Rgds

Rich
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowskisnow, wait till the EOSB and speak to Janet. She has been twice in recent years and swears by it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been actually, but it was 23 years ago and where I learnt to ski. It all looked pretty big to a young novice skier Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Easy to get £190 deals for a much better set-up

Manda, have you ever tried booking a last minute cheapie for a party of 8?? It is hard enough with a party of 4, unless you have little preference for airport/resort/accomodation standard etc etc.....

I don't remember ever seeing a last minute ski-hol for 8 advertised anywhere.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ice perv,eight is the minimum,could well be several more.That's the reason £190 is guaranteed.I'm told this must be confirmed by end of May.Part of the current thinking is that,for that price,even if the skiing is rubbish,it might be an opportunity to see some of Bulgaria on a budget.And,as they all work in a school,the trip is planned for 1/2 term March 06,so no problem for my kids.Still thinking about it Confused

Paul Mason,cheers for that.Will have a chat with Janet when I bump into her Shocked wink
snow report
snowskisnow, Another point about Pamporovo in March is how far south it is and how warm it could be. It was 20+ degrees in february last time I went. You are in the Rhodope Mountains and close to the Greek border. It could be very icy/slushy by March. snowHead
snow report
the ice perv, not quite. I've phoned for a party of 2, and was offered a damn cheap prices in a chalet that not only slept 8 but the remaining rooms were vacant at the time I phoned. Try phoning the TOs direct, or read their cheap pages judiciously. Having spent a fair amount of time in TO accomodation I've learned that there's generally (as long as you don't try for peak weeks) at least a few chalets in the budget range lying fallow in each of a TO's large French resort bases a few weeks up until departure. And/or the same position with half their clubhotels. Sometimes you might need to split the group, but sometimes that's a bonus depending on how well the group gets on!
ski holidays
About the OFF-piste in Bansko you better read the story by the Norwegian pro riders team from www.bigtrix.com. Or check at: http://www.bigtrix.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album210&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
or at:
http://www.bigtrix.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=614

About acommodation in Bansko you can check: www.banskotravel.com.
The site offers good and various acommodation opportunities as well as transfers discounted ski passes and all service like ski school and renting equipment. You just need to ask whatever you are interested in.
ski holidays
snowskisnow, I've heard that there is quite a lot of off piste in Pamporovo, but you would need a private guide to show you. You might have to walk a bit or bribe thw piste machine drivers (that's what my pal did). Just reading this thread though, it seems as though Bansko would be a better bet. Had you thought about Slovenia? Much more modern (I think) and the Slovenian instructors I've seen training here all seem right up to standard.
snow report
Please dont disregard Bulgaria. Having lived in Bansko now for 2 years I may be qualified to answer some of your queries. There are reportedly upwards of 350 Mexanas (restaurants) in Bansko (far too many to have tried them or indeed found them all) most of which serve great food from a very varied menu. All food is cooked fresh, we have never as yet had any cause for complaint.

Bansko at present (the town) is undergoing massive development with many new hotels and apartment blocks being constructed ready for the influx of the european skiers which are finding their way here in greater numbers year on year.

On the ski front. 2 years ago Bansko had just 15 kms of piste, now 2 years on it has 65kms and there are plans to further develope these, rumour has it to link the next (very small) resort. This would result in a 2nd gondola being installed which when completed would more or less triple the existing area. All (except 1) chair lifts and the gondola are new withn the last 2 years and most are high speed. Most lifts in the resort are chairs with just 4 drag lifts so access to all slopes is very easy. The slopes themselves are great, with slopes to suit all abilities its a great resort for a mixed level group. There is a fun park and this coming season should see the opening of the half-pipe. There is also limitless off-piste for the skiers/ boarders.

On the snow front.. Bansko is the most snow sure of all the bUlgarian resorts which usually means we have the most snow too. This year was no exception either. For most of the season we boasted at least 2 metres of fresh powder it was fantastic.. Every day was better than the 1 before. I actually boarded for the last time this season on April 24th and there had been a foot of fresh snow at the top to make this day really memorable for me. ( Nothing like finishing the season on a real high).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy