Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarding Clothing

Poster: A snowHead
I am sure I am not alone in suffering the 'chilling' reality over the years of getting snow down ones trousers!

I bought my Burton jacket 7 years ago and coming up to replacing it this season. However, what do people think about the design of jackets for boarders? Should they be any different for boarders to skiers?

Too long and baggy is a hindrance, yet too short gets ice on the cheeks. I do not know whether the specific boarding brands make the jackets longer or not, but interested to hear what other people like to wear.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Icing up of the crevasse' can be an issue - It's all that sitting down we do. snowHead

If you're after jackets then one with a good length elasticated powder skirt on it is a good move in my book, and belt or braces for your trousers to keep them in place, look for ones with a panel on the back which'll keep them close to your back, or wear 'em high, like Cowell. But if you do experience Personal Icing Issues, take care sitting down too hard before thawing lest you experience the anguish of 'Butt Cracking'... Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for doing up the snowskirt of a jacket, and ensuring your trousers are sat close to your waist, rather than hanging halfway down your legs...! i also pull my jacket down once i've zipped it up so there's a kind of "double layer" of snow protection.

doesn't stop me from ending up with a wet @rse after i do a yard sale tumble though Embarassed!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I kinda like snow down my butt, keeps me cool! snowHead
I usually make sure my jacket sits at buttcurve level and is pulled down as I start the run, seems to help a bit. Mine is an Animal jacket & i find it really comfy & very toasty
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Nike trousers have a snow skirt attached to them, perfect for the t-shirt boarding days too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My Burton one can be pulled in and has the usual snow skirt, however as soon as you put a little effort in and get some speed or throw in a jump, it will shift. Thus a snowy cravasse!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have never fallen for the teenager approach of having the crotch at my knees either
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherlock235, I think there is little that you can do when you hit the deck in spectacular style... ish.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
croskemj, wink just checking!

we certainly need a different design to skiers as we move differently to them on the slopes. i think this is probably why snowboarding jackets (newer ones anyhow) tend to be baggier than skiing ones.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of the Skiing ones are are very tight - as are the women's trousers (not that I have tried them). The latter has some benefits for some eye candy at least on the slopes wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's not reeeeallllly true, is it Sherlock? Ski and board wear is totally interchangeable apart from a handful of trouser items at the extreme ends of the spectrum (crotch up by your nipples pants with comedy braces for the skiers, and parachute-resembling MC Hammer trousers for the boarders).

Jackets are definitely much of a muchness.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Technique, Laughing . i dunno where you're shopping mate, but i know the roxy jacket i have is definitely a slimmer fit than the snowboarding brand jackets i own. my other jackets are snowboarding specific and are baggier.

i have one pair of roxy trousers that are suitable for both sports, but i've not used it yet, so i can't comment on it's suitability, but my other trousers are all "classic fit" (not skinny and not baggy) and are snowboarding specific.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, but that everso slight extra bagginess is at least as much a lifestyle/fashion aspect rather than a functional necessity. Most "snow wear" is suitable for both, with only a slight leaning one way or the other.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Technique, Laughing except the op point was to ask if we do need different styles as far as jackets go, cos they move around so much when we're riding around a mountain that we end up with a snowy crevasse if we're not wearing one that prevents this. a slimmer fitting one, i think, is more likely to move around cos it's moving with us, so to speak.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, the ultimate way of not getting a snowy arsecrack, is to wear....

A ONEPIECE
snow report
as long as it doesn't look like this Shocked Laughing

snow report
My jacket and trousers zip together to stop the snowy arsecrack and is burton ak but I use it to ski in.
snow conditions
sherlock235, that's all down to fashion, nothing more. If you're a competition snowboarder pulling a 1280 knee-trembler - with advanced nipple grab - off a 30 foot flange kicker then I'll accept you might need slightly more baggy kit, much the same as downhill racers don the second skin lycra. Otherwise, nadda.
snow report
Dr John, i'm sorry. i disagree. again, as the op pointed out, his 7yo jacket moves up and allows snow to get into his trousers, even though it has a snow skirt and it's done up.

my point is, in the 7 years since he's bought his jacket, they've changed the shape of the jacket to give you more room to manoeuvre without actually moving the jacket itself. which is why i don't have this problem with my relatively new jackets (>2007/2008 season).
snow report
Dr John, boarders do need a slightly different design of jacket. i'm sure you'll have noticed us boarders stopped at the top of the run, either sitting or bent double doing up our back binding. if you do this in a skintight ski jacket you'll find the snowskirt rides up at the back and so either you have to readjust or suffer the consequences. a slightly longer jacket body alleviates this problem.
snow conditions
Yes, they're generally a bit longer to allow for doing bindings up, but I agree it's mainly a styling issue for 99% of people. Maybe the jacket was just too short in the first place? I've never had that problem even with very old jackets.

I wear the same clothes for skiing and snowboarding unless ski touring - tried skinning in baggy pants once, I'll never do that again!

Anyway the answer is of course the onesie so problem solved there.
latest report
firebug, i have a new enough ski jacket (patagonia primo) and i get real hassles with the snowskirt riding up. Never happened with my burton jacket.....
ski holidays
hmmm, maybe the answer is that skiing in board gear is fine, boarding in ski gear, maybe not Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 21-09-10 22:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
firebug, yep! (but then again, i've never skied. Embarassed )
ski holidays
When I bought my Burton jacket I skied so not a problem, but try to make sure doesn't happen and constantly adjusting snow skirt despite it being attached to trousers at the certain points. The fact is as a boarder you sit down and more regularly stretch over, pulling the jacket and components with it. As pointed out by rogg, above, we have to sit down to stop, everytime we get off the lift (and for some when they want to get on it) plus the type of riding may have an impact.

I am just interested how the design is different, especially if more than just a few extra cm.
snow report
I've boarded in boarding gear and ski gear and have found no noticeable difference. Last season I opted for a mountaineering shell type jacket which was great performance wise but i missed my old ski jacket sleeves with the thumb hole.

Length wise/bagginess wise i dont think it makes a bit of difference.

you can cure bum ice problems with impact shorts, which are also a revelation in warmth when sitting in the snow.
ski holidays
I have HUGE impact shorts which means I have to buy pants a size bigger than I usually would - I like to have a warm and relatively bruise free bum! So, my jacket is baggy as well otherwise it rides up above the shorts. They are really big and my friends laugh at my massive bum but these are the sacrifices I have to make..... Sad
snow report
Last year I saw more riders going for the skinny look (like those tight look jeans) and guess that this coming season more will have seen 'em on the slopes, on dvds, in mags, etc and choose that option this season purely on style.

I personaly wear a bomber jacket style Quiksilver jacket that sits on (or above) my hips and rarely get snow down my crack from sitting, only when I stack it.

I think the fashion will/is changing from super baggy to 'looking' like your wearing your every day clothes and so I think over the next few seasons you will see tighter fitting jackets and pants, but I could be wrong!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the skinny jeans look will be an interesting addition to the slopes!
snow report
manicpb, I think so too, seen quite a lot of tighter stuff lately
snow report
Couple of things (it's a slow Thursday);

Snow-skirts riding up isn't exclusive to boarders, happens naturally whatever your chosen sliding method.

If snow getting down yer crack is such an issue for boarders how come so many of them perpetually have the waist band half way down their butt cheeks?

I don't think a barder moves the upper body around any more than skiers, and much less in many cases. Pole planting, especially on the steeps, requires continual arm extensions, whereas the standard monkey stance of boarders results in very little upper body movement.

Conclusion; it's all about fashion, as the current trend for closer fitting duds proves.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
...the standard monkey stance of boarders...

Shocked Laughing wow dude. just wow.
latest report
Monkey stance? That must be why i've never met a boarder from Hartlepool.
snow conditions
Quote:

the standard monkey stance of boarders

i love how i get credit for the stance. i am like soo radical
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy