Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RESORT HELP

Poster: A snowHead
hi,
need some help with resort choice. we are a group of 5, two dads and three sons aged 18, 19 and 20 and are looking for a good resort to keep everyone happy and are travelling end of feb. ideally something within 1.5-2 hours drive of geneva airport, the main things we require are;

good snow conditions (i know this is a gamble wherever you go but the higher the better)
nightlife, us oldies may not get past 11pm but the lads can party all night given the chance.
good for intermmediate snowboarders, ideally with some tree lined runs if snow conditions are good, plus a snow park.

all help appreciated Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
addo1, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Avoriaz? Though can't comment on nightlife. Or Morzine. Bear in mind though that the French school hols run until 12 March.

What kind of accommodation?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Chamonix.
2. Meribel.
3. Verbier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
addo1, I would say Avoriaz fits the bill nicely - it doesn't have the most amazing evening options, but it certainly fits your criteria IMO
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Morzine better for night life than Avoriaz.

Verbier would be ideal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wouldn't somewhere like Mayrhofen or St Anton be better at that time of year - or will that be Fasching?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, not from Geneva surely?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MoodyFFS, no, I hadn't actually noticed that bit. Embarassed Maybe Verbier rather than Chamonix or Meribel then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Bear in mind though that the French school hols run until 12 March

will the french school hols have a big impact? we have been to the french resorts when the schools were still off for xmas and did not really feel there was a problem. is it busier in the later hols?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
addo1, Yes it will! The French tend to stay and ski in their own country and as a result it will be busy! Most properties are booked up by the preceeding August! May be better looking for the Swiss resorts at that time! Have fun!

In our experience the Half term weeks book up first, then New year, Then Xmas and easter holidays are the last to be snapped up!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley wrote:
addo1, Yes it will! The French tend to stay and ski in their own country and as a result it will be busy! Most properties are booked up by the preceeding August! May be better looking for the Swiss resorts at that time! Have fun!

In our experience the Half term weeks book up first, then New year, Then Xmas and easter holidays are the last to be snapped up!
we have a couple off options for accommodation around nendaz and verbier, what is a realistic travel time from the airport and what can i expect to pay for a transfer. we have hired cars in the past but would prefer to give it a miss as it means we can start our holiday at the departure airport if you know what i mean wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
addo1, the 12 - 27th February is the Paris school holidays, about the worst, really. Christmas is fine - the French don't do their big ski trips at Christmas. I'd think a Swiss resort would be a much better bet, unless you find out about some special Swiss holidays. An extra hour on a transfer in each direction is a very minor consideration compared to finding less crowded slopes, fewer very annoying kids (the Parisians are worst, can be quite rude and pushy) and shorter queues.

What are your dates of travel? If not yet fixed, could be worth a re-think. Maybe fly to a different airport and head for Austria or Switzerland.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, our flights are booked and we land in geneva on 26th feb and are only there for 4 nights so did not want to spend too long travelling too resort. i believe transfer times will be less with a local company as they know the roads better than us so would be quicker than hiring a car and maybe opens up more resorts as ideally we would like a transfer of 2 hours max.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
addo1 wrote:
Roy Hockley wrote:

we have a couple off options for accommodation around nendaz and verbier, what is a realistic travel time from the airport and what can i expect to pay for a transfer. we have hired cars in the past but would prefer to give it a miss as it means we can start our holiday at the departure airport if you know what i mean wink

At that time of the year Nendaz may be a bit quiet for the lads, depends how wild they want to be. Don't think there would be that much totiie about TBH - nice place though. Verbier would be more their thing, of course much more expensive.

Transfer times are probably both about 2 hours - Verbier slightly less, quicker if you are driving. Dont know what a transfer would be (80 squid return maybe) but the train straight from the airport shouldn't be overlooked - for Nendaz you'd need to get a taxi or bus from Sion.

A bit concerned when you say the accommodation is 'around'. To get the best out of Verbier in terms of nightlife you'd need to be right in the middle of things, up at the top so the most popular bars are staggerable. If you are a bit out, like at the bottom of the valley you'd be better in Nendaz.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want close to Geneva what about Les Carroz/Samoens? If you are not in Austria where is there real hot nightlife?
latest report
addo1, at that time of year, in France, you might struggle to get 4 days accommodation in-resort. Nearer the time you might get lucky but it would be difficult to get an advance booking. I don't know the Swiss resorts but from other comments here I gather they can be more flexible with bookings.

If you really want to do France, and if you find accommodation a problem, a solution within a very easy drive of Geneva would be to stay in Sallanches and drive to resorts - there are a good few within easy reach including Chamonix, Flaine (and the whole of that area), St Gervais, Les Contamines, Combloux, Megeve). You'd need a car for that and obviously that wouldn't be ideal for partying. Sallanches is a pleasant town, but hardly party central.

If you are happy to go self-catering, you could rent a flat for the whole week, as you are arriving on a Saturday, and just forget the last few days. the cost of shared accommodation is generally a minor part of overall holiday cost (though that will be an expensive week) so you wouldn't be losing very much.

I agree that a private transfer is very convenient, especially if you are not going to make use of a car once in resort. It's probably a little more expensive than renting, for 4 days, but gives you peace of mind knowing you won't have to battle with snow chains.
snow report
Morzine as a base for PDS to board in Avoriaz mainly but nice to head over to Swiss resorts too, plus also The Stash board area, plus Les Gets which is good for intermediate boarders, accom from www.chaletsdirect.com. Simples Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, Might be a tad busy at that time of the year!
ski holidays
Go to Verbier on the train from Geneva. It's very easy to do.

Nightlife in Avoriaz is definitely NOT recommended as the resort attracts lots of families due to its cutesy snow covered "roads" with horse drawn sleighs. Nightlife in Verbier is much livelier.
snow conditions
addo1, Stayed in Morzine at end of Feb this year (26Feb - 2nd March), wasn't as busy as I thought it was going to be. The longest wait was around 20mins at the SuperMorzine gondola other than that no more than 5 or 10 mins at the busiest times. If a lift queue looked too long we just went to a shorter queue and went somewhere else. Accommodation was arranged through www.morzinelets.com.

I know I plumped for Verbier in an earlier post but either would do really. Morzine may be a bit cheaper than Verbier and is closer to GVA.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, sure will be but you can always get something from chaletsdirect.com if you a flexible ..... unless addo1 changes the dates or country or airport Little Angel
ski holidays
Addo1

Can I suggest, if you're looking at Morzine, you try these people? http://www.jollygood.com/Morzine/W_Sherpa.html

They're very British so might not appeal to the French market.

Accommodation is fairly basic but comfortable, and you might have a better chance of a 4 night stay at that time of the season.

Plus, they throw in free airport transfers and a daily lift to the lifts.

No financial interest to me, but I've stayed with them once before and am booked again for January.
snow conditions
For Morzine also try http://www.reach4thealps.com/Winter/home.php

Marcus and Gina are real nice people, Scottish, for what that's worth(!), and worth a try.

Personally I think you should cancel the flights and head to Ischgl.
snow report
Hi all,
thanks for all the replies. I am thinking Morzine is the best option for us and Ii have quotes via Chalets Direct from quite a few people who have availability. does anybody have any experience of the hotels Rhodos and Ridge?
JimG2009, we have had a quote from Jollygood which is a little bit more than we were hoping to pay. We have also had a quote for a chalet (sole use) self catering in St Jean D'Aulps, is it easy to get into Morzine on a night ie. in a taxi or is it too far out to make the best of the nightlife. Puzzled
snow conditions
Taxi would be about 10 mins from memory, so if your planning on going heavy every night it may be a bit far but there are also a couple of bars in St Jean D'Aulps.
Le National serves Pizzas and has a pool table and has Sky (well it used to) for any footy games that may be on in the evenings, this is on the main road.
There is also another bar run by an English couple called John & Liz, which is attached to a restaurant and is located in the village nearer the ski lift (forgotten the name). They also run some catered chalets and provide airport transfers (www.actionmountain.com)
latest report
addo1, We stayed in the apartment that is attached to The Ridge. Pretty decent sized apartment and clean. Bar was ok, not too busy - fine for a quick beer before going in to town or for a nightcap before bed. Ski hire shop next door. 10mins walk to the SuperMorzine Gondola.

Had breakfast in the Rhodos on our last ski morning. Cracking full english Toofy Grin

I'd recommend them.
snow report
addo1, Rhodos is OK, Ridge is a bit far from town for what I think you want. IMO St J d'A is not so easy to access by taxi. I'd be very surprised if the taxi service was at all reliable, or cheap. And you'd want to make sure you had transport to the lift system. It literally has a couple of bars. I.e. 2.

Samoens might be an idea? But you aren't really tipping up at the best time of year for a non Sat-Sat trip.
snow conditions
Samoens I would suggest is distinctly short on nightlife, when we took our teenagers they went to the Irish bar and one other place and pronounced them both dire - and that was in half term! Godd for boarding though. Why not go to Flaine for a bit more activity after hours? Its 25 years since I was in Morzine so no comment on it from me
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
finally sorted Very Happy decided on morzine and have booked with JimG2009 suggestion of the chalet sherpa with "jolly good". does any body have any recommendations for runs
(intermmediate boarders), bars for young and old and anything else we should not miss. wink
ski holidays
addo1, good resort choice mate. If i were you i would take the bubble from the town up towards the avoriaz side. From the top of the bubble take the chair litft and from there you have lovely runs including proclou, Tetras, Q-mont, seraussaix and Zore. Also there are some great runs through Avoriaz itself and through through the snow par at the top of the town. Also try and head into the Linderets valley and ardent, some lovely blues and easy reds over there, and if your feeling really adventurous over into switzerland, but the rns do get quite stepp on that side from the top. Any more questions then please ask. When are you going by the way?
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder,
we will be there from 26th feb for 4 nights. trying to get as much help/info as possible as this will probs be our only trip this season coming and i dont want to spend too much time getting our bearings. also the thought that we come home from our trip only to find out we missed the best run/bar is not a good one Mad
latest report
addo1,

Bars:

I assume the lads at the Sherpa are catering for you? If you want a civilised wine bar or are big girl's blouses, "Coupe du Couer" is the new in-place. Very nice if you're with the Mrs.

Otherwise, Dixie for sports, Boudda for general apres, or maybe what used to be Crepescule (I think it's changed name, could be wrong), Sherpa has it's own excellent bar, with Star Wars themed loo (hasn't been decorated since at least 1988, I know, I was there), Rhodos bar maybe worth checking into...Bar Robinson apparently popular with the yoofs.

Runs: Bear in mind that I'm a skier.

Most of Pleney/Nyon/Les Gets works on a board, avoid if you can the green run from Lhottys back to Nyon. I've forgotten all the names. Getting across the plateau above Chavannes (i.e. into Les Gets) might be boring on boards, not necessarily. But hey, them's the pleasures of boarding, eh?

There's a snow park on Mont Chery, also in Avoriaz plus the "Stash" which gets very close to hitting right on my curmudgeon button for ruining some perfectly good skiing forest just so some bl**dy boarders can fall off a few logs, grrr.

Not quite sure why RLTP suggests that any runs into CH get steep (?) maybe he's a boarder? No worse than anywhere else, I don't think. Other than the Wall.

Probably not a good idea to go down Grand Paradis (long flat road at bottom) or the itineraire into Morgins from Mossettes (long flat road at bottom). Otherwise (oh, yes, about to completely miss Abricotine which is probably unavoidable but has some flat spots) nothing else that a non-boarder would think a boarder should avoid...
snow report
also forgot to ask, what can we expect to pay for a pint? i am hoping that it will be a bit cheaper than the 6-8 euros we were paying in val thorens not last winter but the one before Shocked
latest report
addo1, maybe you should have asked that before you decided?
ski holidays
addo1, why would it be any different to anywhere else? Expect € 6-8 a pint.
snow conditions
under a new name, thanks for all the tips, especially regarding runs with flat sections. no good for us "bl**dy boarders" wink
pam w, i did not ask it beforehand as i am well aware that france is expensive but just thought i would check as comments in other threads suggested that it may have been a bit cheaper
Quote:
Where Chatel does not really match other resorts like Morzine is the night life is not the same. It is good and lively at peak times, but generally on a slightly smaller scale. But the bars are more expensive in chatel, only one happy hour in town (Lion D'or) and the cheapest normal pint (Stella) is €5.40!!

at the end of the day it would be nice to find it was cheaper than other resorts we have visited but it is not the be all and end all of our holiday however i certainly wont be buying the boys their drinks as in previous years........ rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

i certainly wont be buying the boys their drinks as in previous years...

I should think not. Last time we had teenagers in a catered chalet - Les Gets - they went out to the supermarket on the first evening, together with some of the other kids from the chalet, bought improbable quantities of beers, Old Lady Gin and tonics, plus a few lemons, and kept themselves fairly plastered every night for a week for just a few bob.
latest report
pam w, that sounds like a good idea, all 3 are at uni so will no doubt plead poverty and be asking the dads to buy the drinks when we are out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy