Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
I was find this about skiing scotland on a swedish website, http://www.freeride.se/content/3969/ from last season, but nice article anyway, translate on google, will be a little funny but U will understand anyway,,, if the snow is like that next season,,, I will come there Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ interesting idea but not sure bubble wrap stands up to 100mph winds too well! Confused

Another good day today though but a bit colder and signs of wear at the top of the Cas and bottom of the Gunbarrell - bit of rain in Aviemore now which hopefully won't hit the mountain of if it does hopefully it'll get a lot colder and will snow at the top!

Here's hoping anyway!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's some thundery downpours meandering about further south and east, hopefully the 'Gorm will continue to dodge them otherwise we might wake up and find the Cas uptrack has left the mountain!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/SFGgTADQ4cI

Colin mentions They have had 120K skier days this season. I don't remember last years numbers, but I am finding 125K until Easter... Maybe down from last year, but... the snow has been less spectacular as well.. So well done!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Past the 121,000 mark, last year finished around 145,000. Down yes, considerable hit though taken because of stormbound days during the half term period, at least 15,000 lost - so the Lecht should have got a boost! Never the less, that is two 100,000 skier day seasons back to back (not bad given the operating company had claimed a 100,000 skier day season was now impossible for any Scottish Snowsports Area). Indeed that's double 100,000+ skier day seasons at two areas. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Winterhighland, Do all the area's publish their skier days ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Not bad given the operating company had claimed a 100,000 skier day season was now impossible for any Scottish Snowsports Area.

Interesting articles here from a local newspaper. First is a complaint letter, the second Cairngorm Mtn's response to it:

https://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/5936/Funicular_rail_experience_prompts_safety_concerns.html

http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/5952/CairnGorm_Mountain_takes_safety_as_a_serious_matter.html

Some interesting points re. visitor experiences. The Cairngorm response indicates that the break even figure is 60k skiers - so the last two seasons' figures equate to more than four seasons' worth of visits. Maybe free lift passes for the next two seasons eh?? Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the season seems to be gradually drawing to a close with just the Ptarmigan lift now running at the top and very few people on the hill today in contrast to a mini surge yesterday. The Cas tow didn't open today and was also closed yesterday and it appears the hangers are coming off now with the run broken at the top and bottom, in the latter case part of the run has collapsed into the stream and there's an awesome ice cave under the snow if you crawl in (as we did Cool ). Most of the Cas is still skiable but the traverse is now broken in sections so getting down there requires walking and some 'combat' skiing.

I believe Cairngorm intend to run over the weekend and then close the season from Monday or Tuesday, it's worth heading up for a last slide and a bit of a chill with a rail jam at the top on Saturday and for those willing to walk and skin there's still good sliding down the Ciste Gully (almost to the boardwalk) and over the back.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A pond skimming pond is being constructed in the Ptarmigan Bowl - uh oh!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What would people rate this season out of 10 in Scotland? Lets say that last year was a 10/10 due to the epic snow. I think it has been a good season. I have watched the Scottish conditions quite a lot this year and the Alps have been very poor while Scotland has had a good season in my opinion. I would say a 7/10, would that be fair, whats your opinion?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, for me, if 2009/2010 season was a 10, this last one was an 8/9. Consistent snow coverage at all the ski centres throughout a long season beginning in mid November. There were far fewer opportunities for touring in the Southern Uplands & there was next to snow on the Pennines because it was mostly latitude, not altitude that determined where the snow fell this winter.

My 8/9 vote is deserved as despite an earlier finish than last season and only getting a week abroad, I still managed to rack up 30 days skiing and never got rained on or blown off the hill once I was up it. What was noticeable was that the visibility was poorer on the whole than last season with probably 3/4 of my days in a range from 50% nuisance cloud to 100% zero vis low clag and just 1 day in 4 being a bluebird. All down to the much more westerly pattern to the weather this winter and the associated Atlantic moisture.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cairngorm had a 5-month season, from Nov to Apr, with toptobottom skiing for roughly 4.5 months. Despite a megathaw from mid-Mar onward, they still had a good 7-outa-10 season for snow and 8 outa 10 for business.

The other centers got roughly 3-to-4-month seasons and scored about 6 outa 10.

Glencoe got the puke of the season in March.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And a 10/10 November Cool

(25th Nov)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland wrote:
A pond skimming pond is being constructed in the Ptarmigan Bowl - uh oh!

Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yuk, the weather was having a holiday weekend laugh at our expense on Saturday! Sad Fortunately tomorrow and Monday are supposed to be better, was a bit of a downer after beach weather the last few days, but skies are clear again at the moment so fingers crossed!
ski holidays
Ciste Gully today - best snow on the mountain!

snow report
roga, I realy like the Scottish optimism,, Real skier think like U,,, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
roga, would almost be worth having some sort of uplift to serve that wink
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood, it would be great if they could stick in a chair lift, oh wait a minute..........
latest report
It's Monday - Closing Day on the 'Gorm. The 2011 Scottish Season will officially draw to an end at close of play this afternoon, so this is your last chance to come up for a lift served play if you read this in time.
snow conditions
freeheelskier, thanks snowHead

kevindonkleywood, Ricklovesthepowder, now there's an idea - a chairlift would be good! Toofy Grin

Winterhighland, aye last day today Crying or Very sad won't be up tho, yesterday was my last day of the season in Scotland I'm afraid - have fun!
ski holidays
Some of the folk who are happy with big cornices, near vertical scarps and sustained, narrow 50 degree slopes with hairy exposure have been having fun on Ben Nevis. Respect snowHead ... http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,137343
latest report
^ Piccy number-9 is a good one.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Nice pics,,, real steep in the beginning
snow report
Looks like scottish snowsports will combine with downhill mountain biking at the MacAvalance, Glencoe on Sat 30th.

The access and cliffhanger chairs are going to be open for spectators to this mad event a la Megavalanche and could be your last chance to slide on lift served scottish snow

www.glencoemountain.com
snow report
pfairbrother, just when we thought it was all over lol!

Good to see Glencoe pulling a surprise and beating everyone else to the last lift served skiing of the season in Scotland Very Happy

Great pics those moffatross, what a bunch of jessies the rest of us are Wink

I guess there may be a few more weeks of gully skiing so we may get to see some more piccies before the very end ... and then there's Helen (H11LLY) who will be skiing the patches as long as they last - I'm back up in August for a BASI course at Glenmore Lodge so you never know ... Madeye-Smiley

For now though I'm recovering from a manic last few weeks on the hill, sure feels like the end of the season and it kinda feels that bit more final than last season which is no bad thing in as far as I'm forced to accept that's it and move on to summer - I'll be pining for snow in a few weeks time though I reckon, the plastic is only a very temporary fix for the addiction (kind of like a snowsports methadone Wink ) Toofy Grin
snow report
Before anyone gets their hopes up, there is no skiable snow at Glencoe below the top of the Cliffhanger Chair, so I'm afraid you'll still have to do leg work and earn some turns (though less than from the top of the Access Chair alone). If you have touring kit (when the bikers aren't coming down) you can skin up the Main Basin and then come back down it or walk over to the Spring Run - it's broken high up, but below that there is a run out onto Mugs Alley. Obviously there maybe some further snow loss this week so keep an eye on the webcams if your thinking of heading over with skis on Saturday.

Some pix from Monday on CairnGorm Mountain:

^Boarder takes on the pond in the Ptarmigan Bowl.

^Ptarmigan Tow doing it's thing one last time for winter 2011, late Monday afternoon.

^Coire Cas: Heading for the Gunbarrel for one last run at the end of the day.

More Photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=727
snow report
How much snowfall did Cairngorm get this season?

I recall Cairngorm got around ~750cm during last year's bumper season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plenty of snow about if you can be bothered with the walk
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy