Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
A cool chart with skier days in recent times stolen from Winterhighland http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=7386

1873Chris, did you go up?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from the Coe and boy have they suffered with the thaw Sad

Spring run is broken at the top
Happy Valley is very thin in the middle
And the lower runs will struggle to last

Main Basin however was great fun and the haggis trap was a good laugh aswell

Just hope we get a fall in temps and some more snowfall tbh
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, yes it is, we skinned straight up the main Ciste Gully then skied back down, it is amazing how much snow has gone since sat, a good 2ft at least, all runs still skiing nice though. Was up at Cairngorm again today, White Lady and the Gun barrel had nice soft bumps and snow was good, not too slushy until late afternoon so still plenty skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1873Chris, How was the wind? had been thinking of going today but the forecast was for high winds so spent too much time on snowHead 's instead.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The wind didn't end up too bad

The odd big gust but was never a major problem

it's just amazing to see how much snow they've lost probably more than 2 feet in places and i've never seen so much water coming off the hill
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf, this was 3rd March there is still more than then...

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It has been an incredible 2 weeks for Scotland.

It dumped 100cm in a week and then it melted 100cm in a week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still plenty of snow over the back at Nevis c/o Nevis Range Facebook page

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scotia, looks lovely over there, should be some nice spring snow, what news on Braveheart running midweek???
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had an hour and a half skiing Cairngorm after I arrived this afternoon (3pm and 11deg at the car park so go figure Very Happy)

Ciste Gully was heavy going but will be nice after a freeze cycle
No1 Gully nice n firm with a soft layer
Aonach Bowl just the same

Lovely soft bumps to entertain on the White Lady

Wax your skis with the slipperiest stuff you have!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, not sure. I've got a busy couple of weeks but fingers crossed for next weekend!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think i'll be back up on monday or wednesday depending on the weather hopefully it cools down considerably over teh weekend and maybe even some snowfall snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After a week of major thaw, there is another week of minor thaw to come.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The extent of thaw or not over the coming days will largely depend on whether we can avoid the dreaded anti-cyclonic gloom. With dry air, esp with inversions, we can survive daytime temps in the teens at Munro Level with no damage to the snow pack if we have night time frosts. Reports from Thursday suggest the surface conditions are improving. No wind problems this weekend, always a plus point.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Braveheart operating today.
latest report
Great day at Cairngorm today with some snowheads. I nearly went back to sleep this morning but I'm so glad I made the effort. Weather turned out good, snow was pretty nice & skied in great company. Very Happy

II, I'm sorry I missed you after the traverse, I waited at the bottom of the WW Poma but guess you must have gone down a different route.

Photos here ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2699

Cas Headwall ...

Some Snowheads here ...
snow report
Anyone heading out tomorrow?

I'm thinking of shooting up to Glencoe unless there is a chance of the braveheart running then i'll go to nevis

Thoughts anyone?
latest report
moffatross wrote:
Some Snowheads here ...

Who are they?
snow conditions
Looking at the webcams, the Lecht is almost out of snow today, due to several days of heavy thaw.

I would say the season for some, but not all, the Scottish resorts is starting to wind down now.
latest report
I've got this down as being the 2nd of April so there's time yet!

snow report
Whitegold, left to right is Roga, Hilly the Cairngorm ski host and AndyTB
snow report
Good day at Glencoe today despite a sunburned face and it definitely felt like spring being so hot & sunny.

Nice snow all over the mountain, grippy spring stuff early turning slushy later. Almost every 'run' is still skiable with just a little bit of hoofing required to access the east side runs, the Plateau Chateau & the Plateau run back to the chair needs a bit of grass skiing in places. Best snow for me was in the Main Basin & Happy Valley but Springy was OK too. The Fly was great late morning and midday but when I went back around 2.45, ski patrol were attending to an accident under the better snow in the shade and the sunny side skiers left had become quite manky with a snow soup swamp.

Great day though & nice to get some blue sky in the photos for a change. Smile

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2702

Some steep pitches on a sunny Flypaper. Cloud stayed away to the north all day ...

Bumps in the Main basin ...
ski holidays
^ Good set of pix.
snow report
Thanks Whitegold ... Glencoe's only a little operation but it's spread out over quite a big mountain with lots of variety to offer & the warm sunshine & nearly unbroken sunshine made for a great day for taking lots of photos.

I seemed to be following the sun over the weekend as when I skied with some snowheads at Cairngorm on Saturday it was mostly fair. I thought some of them had intended getting over to Glencoe on Sunday too but as it turns out I think they'd scattered themselves between the cloudy and claggy Nevis Range & Cairngorm ski centres.
ski holidays
moffatross, I am a big fan of Scotch skiing.

Glencoe and Nevis are much under-rated (and under-marketed).

Separately, it looks like Lecht and Glenshee have been closed today, due to lack of snow.
latest report
The Lecht has run out of snow, but Glenshee has more run out of skiers I think, most runs on the East of the A93 still seem to be complete, whether they will be come the weekend remains to be seen - but reliance on low level surface lifts to access the more snow sure terrain of Meall Odhar and esp Glas Maol has long been a weakness of Glenshee's infrastructure. That said when spring comes, numbers drop of a cliff in a much more spectacular manor than at CairnGorm, so whether better access infrastructure would make a difference at Glenshee in spring is perhaps open to debate.

Frankly if CairnGorm Mountain shut up shop today, there would be a lynch mob baying for blood in the Daylodge in the morning! Maybe it's because CairnGorm has a much larger % of season ticket holders and has a sizeable % of semi local trade from the North of Scotland whereas Glenshee is much more dependant on lowland trade and has only a fraction of the season ticket holders?
ski holidays
I think everywhere gets hit hard with low numbers in the spring

I was at Glencoe yesterday and there was about 25 on the hill by the looks of things and if numbers continue to drop they'll cut it to just weekends Crying or Very sad

Then i'll need to start the 4 hour drives to Cairngorm to get some ski time snowHead
snow conditions
might just be weekends at this rate...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barry, just about finished your panorama for you. just need to do the sky a wee bit but the mountains look stunning. will send the file via yousendit later hopefully, if not, Monday.

I'll post a version up here too if that's ok?
snow conditions
link to your pic here barry. I've also sent it to your email address.

Here's a small version.

Actually, having seen it small, i'll tinker with the water again.
snow conditions
shoogly, top man, looks great, I've obiously got mad snapper skills!. Once you've tinkered it to final version, feel free to retain a copy and use/publish however you like (i just want it to hang in the crapper Laughing )
ski holidays
barry, no worries. all i'll say is that you need to learn how to use Auto Exposure Lock on your camera Very Happy

so, back on topic snowHead

how's the snow looking for a slide at the weekend anyone? or is it time to get the golf clubs out Sad
latest report
shoogly, I'm an artist, dont bother me with that stuff, it's all about the moment man!! Cool Laughing (i'll dig the manual out)

saturday looks a tad windy, but sunday looking no bad. Still a few decent days oot to be had this year. Plateaux are still loaded for those willing to work for it
snow conditions
So Glenshee and The Lecht are now closed until there's more snow (meaning enough new snow to open again - less of a tall order at The Lecht I suspect!), Nevis have just announced they're only opening weekends (pending conditions, although the backs are still pretty loaded) and Glencoe and Cairngorm are still opening every day at the moment although both have now lost their lower slopes (first time since November in the case of Cairngorm) - I said to a friend at the end of last weekend that I didn't expect to ski top to base again this season so no surprise there!

At Cairngorm a little bit of fresh this morning but no real gains after temps rose later on but tomorrow could see some decent snowfall and lower temps, from MWIS:
Quote:
Snow showers; risk lightning
Heavy showers will develop, with hail, snow above 600m, and risk of thunder.
For an hour or so around the middle of the day, showers may be very frequent, giving almost constant precipitation and whiteout

The outlook looks warmer through most of next week though apart from Thursday.

As to my predictions I'd say it's looking like a slow wind down at the moment and I expect Glencoe to start closing during the week after the Easter holidays, or maybe during if more people don't turn up! Cairngorm will, on past experience, keep going as long as they can and customers are turning up - I'd give them a few weeks more given no significant snow turns up and no massive hairdryer winds hit us! However, it 'aint over until the fat lady sings and big 'lambing snows' are still possible so who knows!

At worst if the ski area (Cairngorm) is quiet (or closed) and there's nowt for me to do it'll be a good opportunity for me to start donning the skins and get out there to practice my touring skills and perhaps even discover some steeper runs to practice/play on ... first off though I have a 3 day BASI course week after next so there had better be enough snow for that to run in the ski area!

Anyone else care to make any predictions?
latest report
roga, I think the season is over for 4 of the 5 stations.

Cairngorm might limp along until Easter.

They had a good run. Cairngorm was top-to-bottom riding from Nov to early-Apr.
snow conditions
maybe it was the bad forecast turning out no too bad today but top car park at gorm was only half full at lunchtime today. I wasnt skiing but took a spin up with junior for his afternoon nap. Hopefully it was just the forecast that kept folk away. It did me certainly, having plumped for tomorrow instead - that forecast is looking a little bit more marginal than it was but hopefully still get a few hours in and catch some of the comp.

I'm gonna be bold and hope for a further dump before we're done this year that will see us skipping to the car park nae bother (hey roga, you can still dodge down the frp track Toofy Grin , shouldnt meet anyone on the way up as it's access only and the liftie shouldnae bother you as they'll be so bored they'll like the distraction!). WWP would need a fair old top up at the bottom to get back going.
latest report
Whitegold, good prediction there - Glencoe have announced they're closing! Dunno if they'll open the off weekend but with the numbers they've been getting I can't blame them if they don't!

barry, glass half full eh Wink
Quote:
WWP would need a fair old top up at the bottom to get back going.

Oh for a chairlift! rolling eyes

Here's to some more sliding before the final end though, and if it's not lift served I reckon there could be a wee while to go yet!
snow report
Great and tiring day at Cairngorm with an early start and 6.00 PM finish. Very windy up on the plateau, quite crusty too but bits of blue sky especially late helped soften the snow a bit.

Some solo missions into Coire an t'Sneachda testing out & truly loving the new Crusair / Dynafit setup but shared some hikes & turns with a few folk from the winterhighland forum Smile

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2710

snow report

http://youtube.com/v/6ZMLpwUVqY0
ski holidays
An 18 month consecutive season!!!! That must be the longest I. The world surely? Even the glacier at tignes and les Deux Alpes etc close for a few months don't they? Let's hope for 1 last snow dump, then maybe it could reach 20 months!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy