Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good snow in uk again 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Im so desperate for snow I keep reading long range weather forecasts. Europe meant to be going into mini ice age.but for this season Currently a la nina is developing which basically brings uk lots of snow. Equatorial sea surface temperatures are low. .a good sign. . . And when you see quality street on a 2 for £10 in tescos you know christmas looms bringing snow:) do I need therapy?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowflo, yes, so book yourself some trips, that's all the therapy you'll need.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Must be time to start another snowtyre thread wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So with Peru having 50 year record lows in their winter at the moment maybe its true, but we do need the precipitation with the cold to have snow cover. Weatherhead, are you out there?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the chances of another "hard" winter are high (by October it should be reasonably predictable).

I was surprised by the recent higher temperatures, but normal service seems to have been resumed.

I also think the whole weather prediction deal is either over complicated (by people who want it to be so) or not as understood (by the same people) as it is made out to be, or both.

For us in the UK, the Jet Stream has as big an influence on the general weather as any other single factor, and it's link to sunspot activity seems fairly solid. So if it adopts a relatively southerly position this winter coming, snow and lower temperatures should be the norm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BCjohnny, thats what I want to hear so I will believe you and trust your forecast completely.
Off to the Easyjet website to book the flights now...... snowHead
(only kidding, they are already booked)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there the la nina effect causes the westerly winds to be weak letting easterlies be more dominant thus bringing cold weather and picking up precipitation over atlantic then big dumps on uk I am no expert but what I been reading makes sense and appears to be backed by recent and current conditions. . . Cool sea surface in equatorial pacific and storms and hurricanes in gulf region plus usual bits of usa hit by storms. This is beg of storm season in those areas. . . Bring no the snow:)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I meant bring on the snow. . . Dont want to jinx things by typo . .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowflo wrote:
Im so desperate for snow I keep reading long range weather forecasts. Europe meant to be going into mini ice age.but for this season Currently a la nina is developing which basically brings uk lots of snow. Equatorial sea surface temperatures are low. .a good sign. . . And when you see quality street on a 2 for £10 in tescos you know christmas looms bringing snow:) do I need therapy?

Too feckin' right you do Toofy Grin
Could also save your self a fortune with a couple of hours in a fridge snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gsb wrote:
Must be time to start another snowtyre thread wink

Have we had a bicycel snow tyres thread before? I cycled through last year's brief London snowfall and my only recourse was to let some air out of the tyres... still slid all over the place despite knobbly 'offroad' tyres.

But back to the thread topic - this year I will ski Primrose Hill when it snows in London. Have already scoped out the best 'runs' snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi some more good snowy weather news. the soI index (southern oscillation index)has risen from +2 to +21 since june. Anything above +8 is a developing la nina. Here is a good web site to explain this www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7z.html anyone know of betting odds for big snow this year? Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd always been told that El Nino/La Nina had, at best, only a marginal effect on European weather conditions, and that our winters are controlled by low pressure systems in Central Russia and the North Atlantic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I'd always been told that El Nino/La Nina had, at best, only a marginal effect on European weather conditions, and that our winters are controlled by low pressure systems in Central Russia and the North Atlantic.
Hi yes you are right re atlantic. There is the north atlantic oscillation along with jet stream as mentioned by bcjohnny that influences uk weather. These can be influenced by el nino/la nina. From what I understand at present uk should be getting the cold weather f
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
. . .dont know what happened to rest of my reply. anyway from the bitter east as you say. The la nina can weaken (if thats right word) the jet stream effect on uk weather (as it flows west to east )thus easterly weather dominating. But hey ho I an a newbie at this and I am willing it on Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is an Atlantic equivilant of El Nino/La Nina called the North Atlantic Oscillation (the NAO to its friends) which isn't hugely well understood but seems to have a 2-3 year cycle and has the effect of tracking winter storms either north over France or south over Italy.
snow report
I heard today that 2 non snowheads independently of each other have heard talk of snow in scotland for this september. .one person who lives in argyll communicated this to another in perthshire. .then someone from south england had said same thing to relative in scotland. 'mmm. .interesting and I live in hope. . .anyone else hearing such things. .
latest report
i'm hoping it holds out until october in that case NehNeh ! am planning a quick trip around the highlands/john o'groats at the beginning of september. snow will make for an interesting experience Shocked .
latest report
snowflo wrote:
I heard today that 2 non snowheads independently of each other have heard talk of snow in scotland for this september.

Yes, there are at least one or two intelligent souls outside of the sH community.........

Joking apart, I woulld not disagree with early snow in Scotland as a distinct possibility, later in September sounds about right, obviously at higher levels. And it could be a monster from late November on in. Maybe even for the next few seasons, snowsport in Scotland could be more of a viable alternative for those that don't live in the shadow of the Highlands.

As an aside, and not wishing to derail the thread, all this MMGW guff seems to have gone rather quiet, of late. Perhaps we don't need saving from ourselves, anymore..............
snow conditions
does anyone know haw la nina effects canada? i'm looking at banff for this year and don't really know too much about weather systems for over there.....
ski holidays
Banff is shielded from the worst effects of the el nino/la nina by the Great Divide which separates BC and Alberta. Banffs weather predominantly comes from the cold Northern winds and wetter Eastern or southern weather fronts coming from the plains. Westerly weather systems which are effected heavily by Pacific conditions have mainly dumped (or not) over BC before they get to the Banff side of the mountains, as i found out in 2005 when i went to Whistler and Mt Baker in what the locals call "The year with no snow"
snow conditions
thanks Richard_Sideways, not quite the answer i was hoping for Laughing
latest report
rogg, put it this way - the year i went and got no snow, my friend was in Banff at the same time and texting me that she was ar$e deep in champagne powder, while I was rock hopping in Baker... Go to Banff, you won't regret it.
snow report
Richard_Sideways, that's more like it. don't worry - was going to go anyway just wanted a learned weather snowHead to tell me it was going to be b0llock deep.
snow conditions
Hello All, I've heard the snow in september story myself, no doubt this will be up on the mountains. Just thought I would pass on a story I heard the other day while I was repairing a truck, the driver was from Inverness, his mate works for a company that does the snowploughs up north and they've been told that they are getting set for another hard winter. Oh please let this be true, pleeease, pleeease, pleeease. Very Happy
snow conditions
breakdown wrote:
. . . I heard the other day while I was repairing a truck, the driver was from Inverness, his mate works for a company that does the snowploughs up north and they've been told that they are getting set for another hard winter. Oh please let this be true, pleeease, pleeease, pleeease. Very Happy
. . .this is inspirational along with the snowy forecasts from other members
snow report
One weather website I read is forecasting snow for Scottish hills next month. Very Happy

snowHead
snow conditions
Sage wrote:
One weather website I read is forecasting snow for Scottish hills next month. Very Happy

snowHead
Please share the website with forecast. . .any morsel of snow news especially in uk cheers me up no end. . Little Angel
snow report
Well the temperature only needs to drop another 18.5 °C in London and these rain showers will start turning to snow! YAY!
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is what we need Richard, positive thinking, Laughing
snow report
I could go stand on the roof and shout "Snow Yer Fitzwilliam" at passing clouds if it'll help... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Well 10c to in in scotland as of this am. .tesco got the xmas quality st on offer bogof. .another shop got xmas paper in window. . Surely the snow gods can take a hint . .they must know these things go hand in hand with snow. . Smile
ski holidays
Oh God Ive done it. I resisted for months...the little voices saying 'visit the snowheads, just once....' and now I'll be daydreaming for months of that perfect run down le Col last Feb, all the while dropping in on the weather threads for a little fix. Its the end of any work productivity I tell you - HOW DO I STOP!!??
ski holidays
Colonel Faceplant wrote:
HOW DO I STOP!!??

You can't, you are doomed...........

The first snow showers have already been reported on the Scottish peaks August gone, lying snow maybe not that far away. Going to be a long, cold, one.
latest report
Something to do while waiting for more snow:

http://youtube.com/v/MXzaVOk_Ydk
snow report
Hi. . .RIcfrench I finally got to a fridge at braehead last week Ive not been on snow since april. .it was brilliant I didnt stop for a break as the snow was more precious. . .anyway today is cold in my house and I thought about putting heating on but no I put my boarding jacket on instead. . . As you all probably know about the recent Snowflall in scotland. .happy days. .bring on 0 degrees Very Happy
snow report
Man, you got it bad.............. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
Man, you got it bad.............. Madeye-Smiley
Hi I have indeed got it bad. .but it makes life fun. .I also double checked the soI index and many sites agreeing la nina will be with us until first few months next year but at what intensity still debatable. .trade winds still holding strength. .some sites comparing la nina to the1950s and 70s due to the rapid drop in sea surface temperatures over short period. .more happy snow news Very Happy . .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy