Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Ski Equipment Purchase

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I'm looking to use all the experince on this site to point me in the right dirction when it comes to buying gear.
I've been sking 4 times now and I'm off to Les Arcs for New Year this year and i'm looking to buy my own equipment.
Does anyone have any advice on the best plaaces to look, how much i should be spending and what type of skis and boots i should be looking at.
I'm not a bad skier and looking for a good all round ski that's not above my level.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LloydShort, Whereabouts are you?

Boots I'd say are essential, skis I wouldn't bother with, you can hire descent kit in resort depending on conditions.

I go to CEM in Bicester for my boots as do plenty of us on snowHeads, highly recommended. www.solutions4feet.co.uk
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in South Wales, I'm up and down the London area a couple of days a week so Bicester isn't too much of detour. I'll check it out. I am looking to start trying to go twice a year from now on and in 2/3 years buying should be saving on hire. Thanks for the fast response people must be as bored in work as i am wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
LloydShort, Don't discount the hassle/cost of getting your skis to your holiday - unless you're driving, and also servicing/maintainance.
I don't think I'd bother buying skis unless I was going to be going for about a month a year, or was a good enough skier to know exactly what I wanted.
Boots - different thing altogether, I bought a pair from Decathlon 4 years ago (used them for 3 years so far) cost me £100 in the end of season sale and I'm delighted with them. I accept that they might not be the rightboot for me, and probably don't fit perfectly, but they are comfortable and 'snug' so probably don't do me too much harm - at the level that I'm skiing.
If you can afford it, go to CEM as has been suggested - I hope togo to him for my next pair - or get a recommendation from here about a fitter in your next resort.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LloydShort, CEM is currently sunning himself, I think he's away for another week, if you try to get hold of him. He's by appointment only.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am driving so the cost of transport isn't too much of an issue but didn't consider the servicing side. I think you might be right on that one and could allow me to spend a little more on the important boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LloydShort, defo get boots. as far as the skis go, try and test a few before you eventually decide to buy a pair. if you're planning on skiing more than you do now, then you might want to wait a bit and buy a pair of skis depending on what route your skiing takes you...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LloydShort,

I am going to be controversial here......getting your own skis is awesome! I know financially its probably not beneficial. But I bought my own skis a few years ago, and I have progressed massively since then....so now I'm buying some more! It really depends what you want out of a pair of skis. If you just ski casually, blues/reds, not to fast, then there are loads of skis available for your needs. If you are an advanced skier, reds/blacks and you ski fast and aggressively, you may need to spend a bit more to get something more responsive and grippy. Buying skis is a bit of a mine field, so many different technologies for different types of skiing: all mountain, free style, piste performance, etc. What kind of skiing do you do? Piste only? Dabble a bit in the powdery stuff? Freestyle?

Best thing you can do is either go into a shop like Ellis Brigham and tell them exactly what your wanting out of a ski, and they will suggest a few for you to potentially demo. Or do what I did. Browse the manufacturer websites looking for what you need, look at some reviews, and then go demo them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Def. don't neglet the importance of boots, however, IMV it is cost effective to buy your own skis even if only 1-2 weeks a year - I can get mine serviced locally from £6-£12 depending on bases and/or edges and sevicing should just about last a week of rec. skiing if you're not pushing it. Why not get some nice well fitting boots from CEM and pick up a nice pair of 2nd hand skis on SH's Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd buy secondhand, and buy cheap. In a couple of years time you'll be selling the stuff, so might as well not lose too much.

On the boots, you could go and get a quality fitting, or you could do your research and buy something very cheap in the sales. If you do a fair bit of reading beforehand you won't go far wrong - right now a few weeks into skiing as long as it isn't painful will do you fine, just make sure they're not massively too big and there's no discomfort. In a few years time when performance becomes more of a factor you could go for the luxury of a decent boot fitting from a professional.

On the ski front, if you are buying boots and have the money to, getting your own skis isn't a bad move. For the amount rental places were charging in France last year you could buy intermediate skis nearly new here, and even the sale rails at the end of the season you could buy them barely used outside the rental shops! Just make sure the length is right, and that they are suitable for your experience. Plenty of people selling up if you know what you want, put a Wanted ad in the Personals and you'll get some offers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with the point about having your own skis. The quality of rental skis varies hugely and you often have to pay a lot more for something decent. If you're taking a TO holiday, the cost of ski carriage is usually £30 return, so your can easily recoup the cost of spending £200 or thereabouts on decent secondhand skis in three trips or so. Worth every penny I reckon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all your advise. I do dabble a bit in the powdery stuff and will hopefully do a lot more as Les Arcs does seem the place to be a bit more adventures. How do the 'demos' work do some of the biggers stores have aresa to do this. (any suggestions of stores?)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monium wrote:

On the boots, you could go and get a quality fitting, or you could do your research and buy something very cheap in the sales. If you do a fair bit of reading beforehand you won't go far wrong - right now a few weeks into skiing as long as it isn't painful will do you fine, just make sure they're not massively too big and there's no discomfort. In a few years time when performance becomes more of a factor you could go for the luxury of a decent boot fitting from a professional.

I beg to differ... no disrespect to the author but an expertly fitted boot is of utmost importance whatever level of skier you are, beginner/intermediate included. With a good boot you will just progress so much faster.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy