Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Im new, Hi! (i also need some help please)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
im new to the forum so firstly hi!!

Secondly, im looking to buy my first set of skis. Ive ski'd for 10 years or so, so i like to think im pretty good. Previously ive always hired but i will be doing a few weeks the coming season so figured it would be worth while to buy some.

I like to think i spend most of my time off piste, but in reality its probably less than half the time so i think im looking for an all mountain style ski- something than isnt useless on the piste, but can also handle off piste.

I've had my eyes on some scott neo's on ebay which seem to fit the bill, but the guy has relisted them with a reserve which i am guessing will be way over what im anting to pay, considering he has a BIN of 420 for a 2yr old set of skis Shock

Could anyone recommend any others to keep my eyes peeled for? I.e. the equivalent from other ski manufacturers... Im a student so cant afford to buy new Sad

Oh, and im just shy of 6ft, so i figured id be needing around a 176cm ski, if it were semi twin tipped like the neo is??

And if anyone has any they are wanting to flog, i could be interested Very Happy

Thanks in advance,
J
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jammy111, Welcome to the gang snowHead

I'd try to demo as many skis as you can... a lot of resorts have firms operating a free demo system. I couldn't get along with the Mantras for some reason when I tried them.

Twins do ski a little short... I'm 5'10" and find a 177cm suits me, I'm on Nordica Enforcers at 98mm underfoot which seem to perform well both on and off piste. Other skis I've liked are the Liberty Hazmets, Black Crow Navis and I think it was Head Mojo 90's.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scarpa- i dont really have the option of testing skis as i want them bought before i head out over winter. additionally there are quite a few sets around with a decent discount from the 09/10 season and i was hoping to pick up a set of these, or possibly a set off ebay...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You probably won't go far wrong with any all mountain ski then... there's not really any 'bad' skis about. I'd go more on your weight and how aggressively you ski and pick a ski whose stiffness would suit you. I'm sure a few more folk will suggest skis which might suit you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jammy111, BIN = Buy it now? '420' = price? In what currency? A little old hat, but I like my Missions - which might suit your need a little better than the Neos. Neos and Missions are compared here. I am 180cm, 85kg. I ski on 178s - which seem about right. I ski pretty much the whole mountain - but I am not an explosive, aggressive skier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jammy111, I have some high society freerides for sale

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65216
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jammy111, I have my used for 10 days 177cm K2 Xplorer for sale.

Great pair of skis that have served me well in my introduction to exploring more off piste whilst still being able to perform incredibly well on the groomers. They were the fall line ski of the year season before last and are a great handling, crud busting, very good carving ski that can perform very very well in varying off piste conditions.

this is the blurb that K2 had for them season before last: "Being the widest ski in the Apache line gives it an advantage in soft snow to help you track out the resort on those deep powder days but enough sidecut to lay down trenches across the corduroy on those groomer days as well. The broad range of versatility and high performance comes from a unique combination of an 84mm waist, metal laminate cap construction and generous 17/16 progressive sidecut that allows it to perform well on both soft and hard conditions."

They've just had a full service from Freeze Pro Shop in Edinburgh and are in great condition. Usual couple of nicks on the top sheet from lift queues and on bindings from clicking in and out.

looking for £230. they were £540 new. let me know if you're interested and i can email pics.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yer 420 GBP buy it now. Seems excessive considering you can get the 09/10 ones brand new for 450.

Shoogly- I could be interested, some photos to jammy111@gmail.com would be good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots of 07/08 and 08/09 Dynastar Big Troubles (everything apart from graphics and name remained unchaged until this season) kicking around the internet for very reasonable prices. 92mm underfoot, fairly stiff, carves nice GS on/trhough most things, short pivot turns on the steeps are easy, good float for it's size (much better than Line prophet 90's, for instance)... The only time I prefer my skinnier skis is one really hard/icy pistes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jammy111, arent you the bloke who organises stag do's in Gavin and Stacey ? Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mmm, I would buy Moment Garbones if I were you.

Probably will even though I am me snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You won't regret getting your own gear jammy111,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jammy111, i'll get the camera out tonight and post pics tomorrow (friday)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers shoogly. anyone know much about High Society FRs? Someone has some for sale in the other forum and they seem like they might fit the bill.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
good thread on them here... if your eyes can handle the terrible colour co-ordination of the tetongravity site! Shocked

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100188
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy