Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See - anyone know it well?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Zell for the first time over new year. Let's hope the snow comes early. Saying at the Tirolerhof.

Any top tips or insider info for this resort that would be good to know? I have been to Lech for the last 2 years.

Cheers

Owen
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zell am See has a nice town and the scenery of the lake in winter time is magical.

Skiing wise it has some decent black runs down to the town centre. Not a big place to ski but so is Lech but Lech + Zurs do offer the nice "White Ring".

Visitors will have the opportunity to ski the nearby Kaprun which is on the ski ski pass. It is a short bus ride.

New year time will be buzz with activities in the town centre.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lovely town we have skiied with our young kids here. If you are a very good skier you may find it limited. Quite a lot of snow cannons and the runs down to the village can get quite icy depending on the snow conditions. Best place to ski in the morning is firstly do the run down to the village again before it gets busy then head for the Sonnalm which is often quite empty (gets slushy low down in the afternoon if v sunny). Avoid skiing all the way down to Schuftdorf in the mornings as the queues can be bad. Fun places to go on the mountain are the Pinzgauer Hutte in the woods behind Schmittenhohe you get towed back by snowmobile, there are fun easy runs around this area (If you have kids/beginners there are easily accessible slopes for them). Breiteckalm has a lively outdoor bar as well as good food (guys check out the loos). In fact all the eating places on the hill are good. New Year is great fun, lots of fireworks etc head for the square. If eating out in town the Kupherkessel is fun for traditional food if you want a fondu you need to prebook it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very much for the replies. Plenty of useful things to remember Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi there,

It's a bit of an open question really, would kind of be easier to answer if you were asking specific things, but off the top of my head:

Generally, it's a pretty traditional town (not a village), nice pedestrianised town centre, lovely location on the lake, lots of variety/choice of restaurants etc. (although also quite a lot of traditional Austrian stuff too), but there is e.g. a chinese, greek, fish, indian and a few italian restaurants. Shops you can get pretty much anything you would need, with the usual ski shops etc. for buying and renting gear. It's a real town with a life outside skiing so not 'just' a resort IYSWIM. There'll be plenty going on over new year so I'm sure you'll have fun.

In terms of the skiing, it's a smallish but quite varied area. Basically spread across a 'horseshoe' shaped mountain, with blacks and reds generally from about half way down to the bottom, and gentler blues and reds nearer the top, so it's kind of rounded ish on top with steeper sides, if that makes sense?! Lifts are combination of chairs, gondolas, and literally a couple of drags but none of the drags are in crucial places so can be avoided. Not the place to go for off-piste as a lot of it is closed for forest protection. On that note, it is mostly tree-lined skiing so it's very pretty and quite good in low vis, but not dramatic icy peaks etc.

It's obviously lower altitude than Lech, so this does affect the snow, although not much of the area faces south and certainly most of the blacks going to town and to Schmittental (the centre of the horseshoe) are mainly shady so don't get too affected by the sun. Pretty good and extensive snow-making means that cover is pretty reliable for the bulk of the season.

Agree with Camilla, Sonnenalm is a great place to escape the crowds, as long as it's not a hot sunny day, when it will get a bit soft.

There are nice restaurants all over the mountain, from cosy huts to bigger self service places, large huts with terraces with music etc. in the afternoons, deckchairs, and a couple of places aiming for the more refined end of the market wink ! Not expensive though, usually lunch on the hill is between EUR5 (Gulasch soup and a coke) and EUR15 (for a pretty big meal like ribs and chips and salad and a beer).

It does get busy in high season, but the crowds tend to be on about 3 main runs and can be avoided.

It's worth going on the bus up to Schmittental if the queues for the city express lift are busy as there are hardly ever any queues up the valley.

The liftpass covers the Maiskogel (local hill) at Kaprun as well as the Kaprun glacier, so a couple of new places to try, although the Maiskogel is pretty small so don't plan to spend a week there.

You can spend a few EUR more (literally, like EUR15 or something over a week) and get the Salzburger Superski pass or the Kitzbuehler Alpen Pass, both of which cover masses more terrain. In particular it's worth getting a pass that covers Saalbach-Hinterglemm as there is more extensive skiing there and it's worth a day or two over there as it's just a short bus ride away.

HTH

D
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done Zell at New Year. On 31 Dec head down to the lake where there'll be a big party and some fireworks but watch out for the teenagers letting off rockets and bangers around everyone's feet. There'll be plenty of gluhwein or bier to take the chill off and then the party kicks off in the surrounding bars and clubs.

Re skiing, what the above said Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Delia

What a great reply...thank you for taking the time to write all that. More info there than I've found anywhere so far. Sounds excellent too - really looking forward to it.

Best wishes

Owen
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Owen - I've been twice before and can only backup the other comments on here. A great town with a good mix of people. And whilst it may not have the biggest ski area there's more than enough to keep you happy for a week. The scenery is fantastic too with the pistes all looking down onto the lake or over to the glacier at kaprun. I'm off to Italy this year but will definitely miss Zell!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
owen4220, hope you have a great trip over 'Sylvester' (new year), the mountains will echo to the sound of 'Guten Rutsch' (Happy New Year!).

D
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kaprun glacier is absolutely beautiful in great weather, and absolutely hell on earth is poor weather Smile

Masikogel is small but lovely - so quiet, and again if teh wather is good and snow is in teh Zell valley floor, some wonderful views.

Both are extremely easy to get to bu bus, but dont be put off because the bus system is very regular
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and if you like a bit of apres, with a ski down to the valley after, do not miss Schnaps Hans, gets rocking at about 3ish til.........
http://www.google.de/images?hl=de&rlz=1W1FUJC_de&q=schnaps+Hans&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=48-LTIWeC4meOJ37ucIK&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CDYQsAQwBA
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maiskogel is one of the better learner/improver hills. The schirmbar at the bottom boats a giant pair of lederhosen.

Tourist wise the town does a weekly fire & ice themed display of events in the square in January and dont bother with the horse drawn sleigh trip
Although youre already fixed up accommo wise, the local tourist office does a wholesale deal on B&B plus area liftpass and reductions to rink/pool card
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi I am off to Zell Am See or Saalbach - Hinterglemm in January and I want private lessons or friends & family lessons for 2 couples I have came across Black sheep ski school www.blacksheepski.co.uk who offer private ski / board lessons, The site looks really good and what they have to offer, Has any body used them before or knows anything about Blacksheepski and would recommend them or 1 of there instructors.

Cheers in advance

J
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
owen4220, Can't really add to what Deliaskis has said, as I think her and I have been going to Zell for just about as long as each other ? (God was a boy etc)

A couple of points to reinforce;

Avoid the blue/black run back to the City Express Lift (Town) at the end of the day, especially in a busy week, carnage does not begin to describe it! Do it mid to late morning after the uplift queues have gone.

If you look at the Schmittenhoehe on a map or aeriel photo it is horse-shoe shaped around the Schmittental Valley. The northern shoulder of the mountain is known as the Sonnalm and Sonnkogel, although mainly reds the best and by far the quietest runs are to be found there.

The best black (IMHO) is number 13 known as 'the Standard' it goes down the inside of the southern shoulder from just above the Mittelstation to the Valley Sation where you have a choice of three uploads depending on where you want to go. The other main Black is number 14 known as 'Trass" is longer and steeper and starts just below the Breiteckalm, it is quite narrow in places and will be only briefly in the sun at that time of year so can get very icy, is often empty though so if your up to it you can really let it rip!

Here is a link to the interactive map of the mountain which includes video of all the runs and lifts

http://www.gpixs360.com/pois/karte.php?map_id=1

If you use your own kit then contact the Intersport shop at the City Express in advance of your trip and book a heated locker there. It will save you carrying it to and from the hotel every day, its not far, but far enough to be a pain with kit in hand. If you're renting then rent from there and they store it anyway.

http://www.intersportrent.com/skirental-zellamsee/base-station-city-xpress_6964

Favourite Restaurant's ( although I cant think of any that are bad) and meals are;

Blaickners Sonnalm - for a Shepherds Spit.

Hochzeller Alm - best Tirolergrostl on the mountain!

Steinerwirt- just off the main square, really good everything traditional

Pizza Guiseppe, again just off the main square, inexpensive and plentiful!

Lohninghof, which is across the lake in Thumersbach is the best value for money food around, superb quality and choice and a great atmosphere in the 1200 year old building! Well worth the trip - walk across if the lake is frozen, taxi if not.

I've stayed in the Tirolerhof 'T' many times. It is a fantastic hotel and the Posch family will look after you very well. Look at it on trip advisor, if you haven't done so already and that will tell you all you need to know! One wee tip is to get to know Hans the Nightporter/Concierge, he will look after you well, buy him a beer of an evening and he will bring you some of his home made Schnapps, it is Bauernobstler, or farmers brew, just try not to let it touch the sides on the way down Laughing

Ill be there again this season although not until the last week of January.

They do New Year very well in the Hotel, slap up 7 course dinner and then a buffet almost as big at 3am. Be aware that a lot of guests in the T go every year at that time and will dress up on New Years Eve, including black tie , it is not compulsary but you might feel a bit underdressed if all you've got are denims and shirts with you. When we were there at that time a couple of years ago I wore my kilt but there were plenty gents in smart trousers and shirts etc, both with and without ties.

Go down to the lake at midnight, the firework display is legendary!

Hope you enjoy!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jackboy1, Can't comment on Black Sheep Ski School, have never heard of them, nor seen their instructors in Zell.

Would strongly recommend this guy though.

http://www.lessalmon.com/ski/
ski holidays
I was in Zell in April this year and also the April before, the main issue I found was a lack of snow (probably due to going so late in the season). Towards the end of the holiday the lower slopes were closed, they put a big mound of snow infront of the Sonnenalm Ski area preventing anyone from going down there, leaving us with about 7 slush-filled slopes, however on the plus side the sun was warm and I was able to ski in a vest Smile .

However with you going over the new year period you should be fine with the conditions, and it is a nice ski area if it is all open. As mentioned a few times above the Sonnenalm is the best ski area accessable by the City Express (indirectly) the Red 23 slope is one of my favourite pisted runs as its long(ish) and wide with virtually no one on it.

I would recommend getting a bus to the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier, even if it's just for one day. Make sure you wrap up though, you've got another 1000 vertical metres to climb and it can get a little cold if the conditions aren't suitable. It's a 25-30 minute bus journey and it can get slightly claustrophobic which is what put me off going there more than once, but I'm impatient.

The apres is decent, and it should be busy over the New Year Period. Don't usually see many Brits there (which isn't necessarily a bad thing wink )

As mentioned, in terms of the setting and scenery there isn't many nicer towns than Zell.

Although I can't see myself returning to Zell for the forseeable future, I was scarred for life by the conditions in April, but then again I shouldn't have gone so late in the season. I'm sure you'll have fun!
snow report
Leeds_Skier, Sorry to hear you had such a poor trip this year. Sad

Zell is really borderline from the last week of March in most years. I notice they are planning to go until 1st May this year to fit in Easter week which is just far too ambitious!

Even the Tour Ops are selling holidays departing 15th April, I just hope conditions are skiable for those who book!
ski holidays
robboj,

It wouldn't be so bad, but they charge the same price for a lift pass in April as they would earlier on in the season, which seems a tad unfair to me. I also think the lift pass is relatively expensive, compared to some of the other ski areas as it isn't what one would class as a large resort, yet it still charges the same amount.

Did you go in that bar with the tree trunk and the hammer & nails? I can't remember the name of the bar, but that's always a fun game when you've had a bit to drink!
snow report
Leeds_Skier, crazy daisy's
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Leeds_Skier, crazy daisy's

That's the one thank you, been bugging me all night! Laughing
latest report
Leeds_Skier, you are very welcome. me, I stay well clear Laughing
snow report
holidayloverxx, Ohhh, more of a Diele fan? That was my favourite Razz
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, There's a decent bit of live music upstairs in that Irish bar (there would be one, wouldn't there) that was ok for a change.

Was Diele the predominantly Dutch place when you come through the arch/car park??

Tirolehof is one beautiful hotel....we'd a ball there...classy bar and the food was lovely.
snow report
dazman wrote:
holidayloverxxWas Diele the predominantly Dutch place when you come through the arch/car park??

It's just off the main square, along the same row as the 2 underground clubs and 1 or 2 other bars as well. If you was to head to the hotel which is on a pier i think you'd pass it, at the top of the row of bars/shops where Crazy Daisy's is..

I don't know about it being predominatly Dutch though..when I went it was mainly the locals that were there.
latest report
A good night out too is the floodlight sledging over at Bruck, there is a little tourist train that picks you up in town, the driver always dishes out the schnapps en route, when you arrive at Bruck the owner comes and picks you up in a tractor with a huge open trailer at the back and takes you up the mountain. There is a beautiful hut up there where you eat and drink in preparation for the sledging....it´s pretty brutal, amout 2.5 km down a very narrow path in the dark.....but if you are in a crowd it is hysterical!
snow report
Leeds_Skier, Actually come to think of it, we headed to the Sportuberl just beside the bierkeller at the Tower just on the square....and there should be live music on the square, that's the business too.
ski holidays
Leeds_Skier, dazman, I steer clear of the tree stump and hammer LOL I was at CDs this summer too
latest report
Once again huge thanks to Delia, Robboj and the others who have provided so much useful information. Better than any guide I've read. I intend to make a list of bullet points from this thread and take it along with me.

Comments on the Tirolerhof just enforce what I've read/seen already - it looks blinding!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leeds_Skier, Agree about the lift pass prices, especially in late season which are really a bit rich, especially as you say they are closing off the Sonnenalm etc.

They are trying to market ZamS as a premier resort, which I think is a mistake along the lines of trying to fix what wasn't broken? IMHO they are stuck just now and having spent a lot of money they are trying to get it back. For example the town and the hotels spent a fortune trying to make it a year round conference resort by building a new congress centre - which was completed in autumn 2007 just in time for the banking crisis and the end (relatively speaking) of the corporate junkets and conference business they were going after!

There are some good things coming for the money though such as the €70m extension onto the Hochsonnberg to the south west of the Schmittenhoehe. The mountain is 50%(ish) owned by Porsche so there is never a summer goes by without some major new kit being installed.

dazman, yep thats the Diele, it can get a bit wild in there, Crazy Daisy's always seems better fun.

kooky, have heard thats great fun but have never done it as i'm always wary of getting an injury that stops me skiing! I must be getting old and sensible?

owen4220, Glad to help, if you think of anything else post away or PM me?
snow conditions
http://www.tauernspakaprun.com/de/pauschale-erst-expedition-entdecken_4440

This has just opened up, maybe worth a visit if the weather isn´t playing ball, or if anyone has relatives who don´t want to ski. Haven´t been myself but have heard great reports!
snow report
Had a glorious week in Zell am See the week before Christmas (best early season snow for 15 years according to the locals). Empty slopes, beautiful snow and lots of sunshine. Then we went back for a week from 10-17 Jan. They hadn't had much snow since our earlier visit and temps were 6-10C during the day - terrible to see large bare patches and sticky slush in January. It's looking better again now. The other downer about the second week of January is the huge number of Russians and eastern Europeans who are there for Eastern Orthodox Christmas - pistes were really busy and the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier on the day we went there was miserably crowded (a silly number of lifts were closed for some reason). Zell am See is a beautiful place but it needs more snowfall (doesn't everywhere??) and some more kms of pistes.
snow conditions
cedarbrook63 wrote:
Zell am See is a beautiful place but it needs more snowfall (doesn't everywhere??)

Didn't you watch the Hahnenkamm? Kitzbühel seems to be doing fine wink .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy