Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Tech Course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone done the 'Anything Technical' ski tech course as below? just wondered if its worth it, what it can get me with regards to jobs abroad, whether there are better courses in the UK etc?

http://www.natives.co.uk/skijobs/skitech/index.htm
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Williams223 - really depends on what you're after, if you're looking to gain employment abroad as a Ski Tech then Anything Technical is the course for you. Its industry recognised and you will have a certificate to add to your CV, however this does not guarantee you a job in the Alps and many Retailers / Snowsports operators will also ask what service experience you have had and what kind of ski servicing machines have you been trained in using ie, Reichmann/Winterstiger/Montana to name a few.
Regarding other courses in the UK – depends on your location and I’m sure a lot of the members on here will add in due course.
Personally I have been servicing race skis for athletes for a number of years and the best piece of advice I can give you is whatever course you choose – Practice, Practice, Practice!!

Good luck!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well. Thanks for the information. I was searching for those ski tech courses.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Edge2Win, thanks mate for the info. I just want it so i have a better understanding of equipment...do you know if there are ones closer to London, which are equally as good?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
williams223, I did the Anything Technical course a few years back and I had a choice of two location, Kendal or Reading. The courses are all well and good but finding a place to gain experience is difficult and there are always a lot of people chasing the same dream.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
williams223, If you are looking to increase your understanding and don't need to have a certificate, though I'm sure he would do one, I would highly recommend Jon's course in Nottingham, www.jonsskituning.co.uk, I'm based in London and its worth the drive and a lot cheaper than Anything Technical.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Headplant, does the course not really give you that much of an insight....is it just a course that can give you piece of paper.

Maybe jons thing would be better then - £45 quid sounds a lot better plus its only one sesh so could go up and down in a day. But then again Anything Technical course does boot fitting...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
williams223 wrote:

Maybe jons thing would be better then - £45 quid sounds a lot better plus its only one sesh so could go up and down in a day. But then again Anything Technical course does boot fitting...

[Joke mode on:
As regards boot fitting, I'm sure CEM (Colin at www.solutions4feet.com ) would impart all his hard won knowledge in return for a few pork pies! wink Toofy Grin .

Joke mode off].
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
williams223, The course is interesting and covers a bit of history and the development of skis and boards and the different structures you find in ski manufacture, it follows on with repair and servicing, base grinding and waxing on the first day. The second day covers the boot fitting and goes over the main points and then looks at all the course members feet to judge what problems they may have with a fitting. You do get quite a bit of practical work around repair and service and a chance to take a look at products and tools and use machinery but this can only be a glimpse and relies on you consolidating the work done on the course with experience in a workshop on a regular basis. They do point out that the certificates don't make you a ski tech or boot fitter. Not long after the course I had a pair of boots fitted by SMALLZOOKEEPER at one of the snowheads boot clinics and the amount of knowledge and experience you need to fit boots properly is way beyond what a single course can teach. I thought the course was interesting but not directly applicable to me, I think Native's do get people jobs after finishing the course but it would a big learning curve.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy