Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go for....pow?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am looking at booking a 2 week trip next year to ski as much powder as possible with some mates. We are all good skiers (well good enough for most things powder!) and would like to spend 2 weeks skiing the best powder on offer.

So, if you had 2 weeks and say a budget of 2 grand (so no heliskiing or probably catkiing) where would you go?

Japan?

Utah?

Somewhere else....

ps. I know you cant guarantee the snow but I am hoping that we will be lucky!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler? Stuben am Arlberg? Depends what you want outwith the skiing I suppose, if anything at all?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Japan or Utah are probably the safest bets, you could also think about Gulmarg though (Kashmir). Maybe Russia too?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Revelstoke, went there in 2009 on a 2 day trip (was doing a season in Sun Peaks) and it puked 40cm the day before i got there, terrain is also awesome......

If your doing 2 weeks you could then also venture to places like Kicking Horse and Banff and they are all in the same proximity.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 7-09-10 16:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AK!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bobojim, the only sure fire way is to storm chase, either book flights very late for Europe, ie the day of/day before a storm, or be prepared to drive if you goto Utah....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
j0n, I went to Revelstoke last year, on the end of a work trip, and it had not snowed for 3 weeks. The terrain was undoubtedly great, but the snow that time was crap. I know lightening does not strike twice, but I have a feeling of been there done that with Revelstoke...

clarky999, Have you, or anyone for that matter been to Gulmarg?? Looks an interesting prospect, so long as the lift keeps running!

shoogly, when you say AK do you have a specific place in mind. I dont think my budget can cope with Heliskiing!

Japan was my first option but I am slightly concerned about spending a lot of money and not skiing very long descents, does anyone know what the gradient and vertical are like in Japan (Hokkaido area?)/

Thanks for the comments, some fresh ideas!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A Marvel Comic.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobojim, I haven't been, but I did a lot of planning for a trip, although unfortunately for the next couple of years I won't have enough time to spare at the right time of year to make the most of it. Two weeks should be long enough to get some lift access even in the worst weather, but take skins and touring bindings. Lots of info on TGR, and if you search on here you can probs find my thread about it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobojim, if you're good skiers you'd struggle to beat the combo of Chamonix, Courmayeur and Verbier for off piste terrain. The powder situation is pot luck unless you can choose your weeks last minute.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How far would I go? The end of the world, if that's what it takes.

Nothing to add here ^. Except AK is not the best choice for a two week stint, I'm going to go for a month soon - Razz
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If i were you i would go to the rockies and hire a car. then you have the option of where to go to. Follow the weather and pick the resort.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
j0n, Was in Banff and Kicking Horse this year in late January, no powder anywhere Sad !!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been to Revvy twice now, both times had some fantastic pow Toofy Grin - but theres not enough terrain for two weeks if you went to Kicking Horse too that would only cover your first week.

BOD, rare they get Pow in January - either early season, December, or wait until mid Feb.

Quote:

If i were you i would go to the rockies and hire a car. then you have the option of where to go to. Follow the weather and pick the resort.

Exactly what we did in Canada and had fresh Pow 10 out of 13 days Toofy Grin

Utahs a good bet too and it really is dry stuff there - again a car is good so you can cherry pick the mountains with the best snow fall.

We also had a great two weeks in Tahoe, again with a car to hit the best snow. All we did was chaeck the snowfall and head to the one with the most Toofy Grin We had fresh snow and blue skies for 11 days out of 13 Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kamchatka
snow report
2 grand isn't a massive budget for 2 weeks so I question whether Japan is totally in range - I've had good luck with similar trips around BC and a Miracle March fortnight where it snowed fresh every day in California, but equally been skunked in SLC, curiously the numberplates hadn't been changed to Greatest Boilerplate on Earth.

Rumours of La Nina and positive speculation that this bodes well for PNW/BC this winter so I might bet on a flight into SEA or YVR and roadtrip/stormchase from there. Best to hold out until November to see how the weather is panning out.
snow report
double posting fool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 7-09-10 22:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
fatbob, agree that 2k isn't actually as much as it sounds for a 2-week trip...I reckon Japan is doable though. I've been looking into a 10-day trip for next year, and reckon it can be done for about £1500 - shouldn't be too hard to fit an extra few days in and keep it under budget. Agree that for PNW/BC/Utah + car could be equally amazing though.
latest report
Quote:

Japan or Utah are probably the safest bets

Not for the 10 days we skied in Utah in 2009 Sad . Wall to wall blue skies and sun at Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley, Snowbird and Alta. Of course it snowed non-stop for a week the day after we came home....So I would agree fully with the first quote below - though the numberplates could have read 'Sunniest weather and nicest packed powder on Earth' for our trip.
Quote:

the only sure fire way is to storm chase

Quote:

but equally been skunked in SLC, curiously the numberplates hadn't been changed to Greatest Boilerplate on Earth.

If you are really set on powder, catskiing may be the safest (but still not guaranteed!) bet - we skied 2 days of fresh tracks near Fernie in Feb this year when snow conditions on the ski hill were poor by Canadian standards. The company we used was Fernie Wilderness Adventures - highly recommended.
ski holidays
bobojim wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking at booking a 2 week trip next year to ski as much powder as possible with some mates. We are all good skiers (well good enough for most things powder!) and would like to spend 2 weeks skiing the best powder on offer.

So, if you had 2 weeks and say a budget of 2 grand (so no heliskiing or probably catkiing) where would you go?

Japan?

Utah?

Somewhere else....

Powder = snowfall.

You need to visit the resorts with the world's highest snowfalls.

1. Washington State;
2. Alaska;
3. North Japan.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Rumours of La Nina and positive speculation that this bodes well for PNW/BC this winter so I might bet on a flight into SEA or YVR and roadtrip/stormchase from there. Best to hold out until November to see how the weather is panning out.

Now if you were doing that, you probably want to drop me a line... Wink
snow conditions
bobojim wrote:

Japan was my first option but I am slightly concerned about spending a lot of money and not skiing very long descents, does anyone know what the gradient and vertical are like in Japan (Hokkaido area?)/

Japan isn't quite as expensive as you would imagine if you're not needing 5* luxury, although the exchange rate at the moment doesn't help when exchanging Pounds for Yen.

And yes, most of the resorts here certainly don't look like the Alps (in Hokkaido anyway, the mountains on Honshu are far more rugged and steep). They're not as steep, but they certainly have the snow. There are places like Kurodake and Asahidake that are steeper and have more vertical but to get the best out of them, you need a touring setup and avi gear/knowledge. There is obviously Niseko, but also there are so many other smaller and cheaper areas where you can get away from the crowds and enjoy a really different ski experience. If you like tree skiing then Hokkaido is the place. And for consistent snowfall and light powder you wouldn't be disappointed.

For a taster, check out this guy's blog from a few months spent here last year (apparently a bad snow year!) www.snowchasers.blogspot.com
latest report
This year was bad year in canada, partly due to the Nina or Nino (can never remember which). Jan not good for pow anywhere in LL/Banff area any year usually, snow really kicks in later, But LL is never known for its pow..

How about a Fernie/Whitefish combo?
ski holidays
MagSeven, Thanks for the blog link, some very interesting reading. I have my heart set on Japan at the moment, but am slightly concerned about the price.

Second choice is probably a Utah road trip. Anyone tried taking a campervan/mobile home/RV around utah ski areas in winter??? It might be a terrible idea.....

Dot., Kamcatka might be a little too far out of the way!
latest report
BOD - Canada last year had a weird year for snow. There was a lot of snow early season, and i know of some resorts opening a week or 2 early last season, but through Jan & Feb there was a lack of snow (as was all the talk around the olympics).

Ive heard a rumour that this year may be a la Nina year, in which case, if what ive been told is correct they should get a lot more snow this year.
snow report
bobojim, On ski sunday a couple of years ago they had a piece on skiing Russia where they used the Trans-Siberia railway for some of the travel, no idea if that's anywhere near Kamchatka but would make an epic trip!

FWIW, I budgeted less than 2k pp for the Gulmarg trip, although obviously a lot depends on flight prices, but it'd be a real adventure.

parlor's pictures/tr's of the Kootenays in NA looked pretty special as well though...
ski holidays
if you choose the PNW, then look out fall line from the middle of last season... they had quite a good article on Washington State ski resorts and what each one offered.

We were out there this summer and had a great time - Seattle is a very cool city, lots to do, stunning mountain scenery and i couldn't help but look at the mountains and think how much good skiing potential there is there. Mt Baker ski area seems the best bet, but there's lots of options.

I also now have a dream of skiing on Mt Rainier Very Happy
snow conditions
bobojim,
Quote:

Second choice is probably a Utah road trip. Anyone tried taking a campervan/mobile home/RV around utah ski areas in winter??? It might be a terrible idea.....

Why would you want to do that Shocked Plenty of reasonable priced accom. with pretty good access available. We did it for two weeks this year, skied 14 days and it came in at around £2300 PP.

We're doing the same this season, staying at the same places, skiing 15 days and will probably be cheaper this time around Madeye-Smiley Sking around 8 mountains so long as they have decent snow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones, did you do a TR for that trip (or this year's Toofy Grin ) - we've had plans to do something similar for a couple of years but haven't yet got round to it...would be interesting to get some details on locations/transfer timings from someone who's arleady done it Smile
ski holidays
your budget would afford 2 weeks cat sking in Macedonia http://www.eskimo-freeride.com/

Never been there myself but have heard good things.
ski holidays
ChrisWo, Drop me a pm when you are thinking of going, and what you are thinking of doing - can give you more info when you want it. Smile

Did it last season, and doing it next too Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:

You need to visit the resorts with the world's highest snowfalls.

In that case Alta in Utah takes some beating with a seasonal average of >50 feet!
snow report
shoogly wrote:
if you choose the PNW, then look out fall line from the middle of last season... they had quite a good article on Washington State ski resorts and what each one offered.

We were out there this summer and had a great time - Seattle is a very cool city, lots to do, stunning mountain scenery and i couldn't help but look at the mountains and think how much good skiing potential there is there. Mt Baker ski area seems the best bet, but there's lots of options.

I also now have a dream of skiing on Mt Rainier Very Happy

Yes, Seattle is a very cool city both figurative and literal! Madeye-Smiley If you go to UT, keep in mind you will be fighting a few thousand like minded souls. In WA state, you will have relatively fewer powder souls to fight for the goods on weekdays. Weekends, it can be a frenzy with long lift lines. There really aren't any resorts in WA state either. But you can get some true back country ski experiences that are lift served at Crystal and Mt Baker. Then too you are only a 3 plus hr car ride fm Whistler if you are at Baker. So if the main goal is powder, then the PNW is a good bet but the night life is non-existent unless you base yourself out of Seattle. Then you have 3 ski areas with-in a 2 hr drive, (Crystal/Stevens and Alpental/Snoqualmie) and 8 with-in a 5 or so hour drive. The afore mentioned 3, plus White Pass, Mission Ridge, Mt Baker, as well as both Whistler and Mt. Hood, OR. Mt Bachelor is another good mountain. Not very steep but you can ski most of the 360 degrees of the volcanic conical shaped mtn. Almost no lift lines during the weekdays, and unless it's a big pow day on the weekend, the lift lines are not too shabby on weekends either. Again no real on mtn accomodations at either Hood or Bachelor but then Bend is a nice town, and you are only about 1 hr 20 minutes depending on traffic fm Portland to Hood both Timberline and Meadows. I prefer Meadows for the terrain.
ski holidays
Mt Washington on Vancouver Island last year late feb early march we had a 600cm (yep six hundred) Base and on average 38cm of pow every night within your budget too wink
snow report
Quote:

If you go to UT, keep in mind you will be fighting a few thousand like minded souls

Oh no you won't!

We spent a week at Alta in February, part of which was the Presidents Weekend bank holiday.

Over the course of the week more often than not we had runs to ourselves, with no other skiers in sight... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
bobojim wrote:
Hi all,

Japan?

Utah?

Somewhere else....

Utah. Reckon flights and lift passes could easily eat £1300 of your £2k. Can you share car, get accommo and live on £700 for two weeks? Maybe just but it feels ambitious. Forget Japan on that budget. At least you know you can live cheap stateside if you have to.

Places in view of the Pacific are just too dodgy weather wise. Utah weather more reliable.

Otherwise a couple of weeks of pot luck in the Arlberg might work out.
snow conditions
I did Japan for 2 weeks way under £2000 last January.

So long as you are happy to stay in basic accom, watch your night time spending its easy.

pm me if you want any info.

Cheers

Very Happy
snow conditions
sparkzter, I will probably PM you when I have worked out how to use the bloody thing!

Bode Swiller, We are happy to go to budget accommodation, we are really more interested in the skiing......
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
We spent a week at Alta in February, part of which was the Presidents Weekend bank holiday.

Over the course of the week more often than not we had runs to ourselves, with no other skiers in sight... Very Happy Very Happy

Everyone else was in the deep stuff wink
snow conditions
To ski powder in Japan you need to book a holiday with one of the companies which do guided holidays there. I gather that ordinarily they do not allow off piste skiing and do not open the pistes till they have flattened any new snow. My informant lived in Japan but I must confess it was a while ago - It may be that things are changing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy