Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski/Avalanche/Mountains Coffee Table Style books

Poster: A snowHead
I would quite like a new book with lots of pretty pictures - can anyone recommend anything suitable , maybe about avalanche theory/forecasting sort of stuff (I'm sure someone mentioned such a book somewhere not that long ago..), or any 'bibles' all skiers should have a copy of?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Must be onto my 5th recommendation for Jimmy Odéns book by now...
Everyone should buy this - a real off piste bible.
And a much more reliable source of info than some dudes from the internet! wink

http://www.freeskiing.nu/

The ski journal is also high quality coffee table material.
(though very expensive if shipped to Europe).

http://www.theskijournal.com/product_listing/6/shop/single-issues
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arnie Wilson is usually quite cheap on Amazon Toofy Grin
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=books-uk&field-author=Arnie+Wilson&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not about avalanche safety or forecasting but an awesome coffee table book for anyone into off piste is: Skiing around the World by Jimmy Petterson http://www.skiingaroundtheworld.net/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jimmy Petersons book (skiing around the world) must be *really* good - the only 2nd hand copy is £85 off Amazon.
Anyone know a second source ?
Looks cracking (if you can find one at a reasonable price!).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 6-09-10 8:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, afraid I'm not parting with my volume which cost somewhere around £28 from amazon a few years ago Cool

It is an epic book and I've never seen anything else like it. The writing is superb and the photography is amazing. If it has been that popular it is a shame they've not printed more Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys, some ace suggestions there... Think I might pass a few of those ideas on as it's coming up to my 21st Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would be very interested to hear what Peterson says about Nordpark/Nordkette (as a benchmark) juliad?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, I'll grab the book and take a peek to see if he mentions Nordkette. Innsbruck gets mentioned but can't recall all the resorts off the top of my head!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was on the list from the website, so it should be! It's just it's not a very reported on area, so I'd be interested to see if his views on it matched mine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote from the Petterson book "Innsbruck - the World's steepest piste" and "From the top, the possibilities are extremely steep or even steeper" Sound about right? Toofy Grin

I'll read through and post up a summary for you tomorrow if that's ok?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah about right lol. Yeah no worries, thanks a lot dude!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think if you could wait there is a book about an avalance in Lewes due out Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Sorry!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, Here's a better link. http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9789163313134/Free-Skiing---How-to-Adapt-to-the-Mountain
I bought the book from your link recommendation last month.

Very informative and was surprised at the quality and amount of photos.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Freeskiing is really nice. There's a really great book of photos called "White Spirit" which you can get 2nd hand - amazon/ebay France are good for this - I got mine for a tenner from Amazon France and I've seen it go for £100 quid in the UK Shocked
ski holidays
I like the look of Freeskiing, might have to add that to my collection...

Just noticed another of my skiing books (Ski and Snow Country: The golden years of skiing in the west, 1930s-1950s by Ray Atkeson) is fetching a fair price on amazon. Maybe the right type of ski books are a good investment Smile

It is not a nice glossy coffee table book but if you are into old books and skiing in times past then I can also recommend the second hand purchase of: In search of winter sport by Monk Gibbon published 1953. Bought mine for a few quid off ebay.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy