Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Predeal, Romania

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have concluded that this year's budget will not stretch to allow a skiing holiday in the February 11 half term, but I am not giving up that easily.

A family member of mine owns a flat in Predeal, Romania and I am considering asking him to borrow it for a week. Predeal is about half an hour by car from Poiana Brasov and, as far as I can see, also has its own ski lifts.

Has anyone ever been there and is it worth it to go ski there? How many kilometers, snow security etc? We are all fairly new to skiing, so there is no need for any challenging runs.

Also, the resort does not seem to have a proper website. Does anyone know a link to a skimap etc?

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quick search and found
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Predeal/pistemap
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
By using the same site I came up with the resort web site:

http://predeal.8k.com/

Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's where I used to ski when I was a child!

It's a VERY limited area but if there's a straight choice between not skiing at all and skiing there (+Poiana Brasov and Sinaia, see below), I'd take the skiing.

Poiana Brasov is more like an hour away. 20-30 minutes to get to Brasov, 10-15 to cross it and 20-30 up the road to Poiana. Some Romanians may make it in 45 minutes!

Another option is Sinaia. Half an hour or less by car (about 20 minutes by train, but then you have a stiff 15 minute walk uphill) in the opposite direction to Brasov, then two cable cars up the mountain to 2000m. There's a nice bowl there with 3-4 easy/average runs plus a snaking blue run back to 1400, both with beautiful views. There are also two VERY respectable unpisted black runs (itineraries, really) from 2000 to 1400 but I would not advise them to people new to skiing, they're steep.

If I was you and the snow was the same, I'd definitely go to Sinaia at least for a couple of days.

Weekends are crazy, the whole of Bucharest goes there.

Snow security - tough one. It's been erratic in the last years but February has a decent chance of being ok.

Have you looked at other options off the beaten path? Might be a better deal overall...but if cost is paramount and you're getting cheap flights and free accommodation (what about the car?), it may be worth it...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here are two pics:

- the higher red run at Predeal (1400 - 1200)

And the bottom red / blue run, with me rather young and my mother in the foreground:

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Brasov this summer with a Romanian colleague and visited Poiana Brasov. The village has some lovely wooden chalets as mountain restaurants, and an incredible wooden church. It was very pretty - tree-lined runs above, meadows all around. However, my colleague (an intermediate skier) said that she always skis in Austria because Poiana's ski area is so small.

Don't even think about taking the train from Brasov to Sinaia at the moment. There are massive works on the line as they are doubling it from single to double track most of the way from Sinaia through Brasov towards Hungary. Trains are arriving very late into Brasov (90 mins+++) and then achieve a further hour's delay in the short journey to Sinaia.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Esq, pretty sure davkt went there last season and so would be able to help a bit if he finds the thread or you could PM him.

horizon, super snaps Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah I have skied at Predeal, there is not much skiing to be had. There is basically 1 black, 2 red (served by a 4 man chair lift) and then 2 short blue runs (served by a drag lift). I do have a piste map but am unable to add it to the snowMedia zone ??? It is fine for a few days but you will get bored pretty quickly. Probably worth a day trip to Sinaia and Poina Brasov. You can get to these pretty easilly by train/bus or a taxi shouldn't cost too much.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
horizon, What a cute child, whatever happened ? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the reactions. A lot more than I expected.

I might be able to blag a car in addition to a free apartment, so that means that our only costs would be the flights, ski hire and tuition. I expect hire and tuition to be relatively cheap out there, but again, information on the web about this is hard to find. Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here is the piste map (for what its worth wink )and a few pics

The black ?? run

One of the blue runs served by a drag lift

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy