Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, climbed to the top of the Varet lift today and followed the red that takes you back down into the 2000 bowl - the one that starts as a track and then drops off to your right. About a foot of fresh dry snow and it was awesome until I got down to the bottom of the Plagnettes lift where I put a couple of gouges in my bases! Sad I mostly followed what will be the piste all the way down as it's untracked.

It's been snowing lightly since about 3pm and is still going outside and it's heavier than the last couple of days. The snow canons are constantly on in the cold and there are big 10ft mounds of snow next to most of them which will be spread around by the piste bullys. I'm sure in the next 2 weeks there'll be enough - just be careful if you go off the side of the piste!!

They haven't even finished the new Chalet des Neiges building below the Olympic torch yet and they are confident it'll be ready for the 10th! There's certainly more chance of it dumping with snow!!

...back to my beer...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking at the 1950 cameras seems like theres been a fair bit overnight Smile

3 weeks to go..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wohoo! for those who haven't checked

http://www.19x.co.uk/cgi-bin/snowheads.pl

http://www.lesarcsnet.com/webcam/les_arcs/107
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even better news than yesterday. Snow down to the valley and beyond with a cold spell as well to help form a base. I have been told the canons are still working away and it is hoped that all work taking place in various parts of the resort will be finished in time for the 11 Dec. Very Happy

Will have to get the skins out again this weekend or maybe even go somewhere where the lifts are already open. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowcrazy wrote:
Angry Squirrel, It is a very nice hotel, I like the jazz in the bar some nights, but it is a funny shape. You will see what I mean.

n1ckster, Normally not all the lifts are open at the start of the first week. Last year in the first week only most of the lifts in Arc 2000 were open and a few in the other areas. This year the first week is seven days later so I hope more will be open, but still not everything and not the Vanoise Express linking to La Plagne side.

But it still should be ok for skiing and there are quite a few of us out for the first week.

Cheers for the info snowcrazy, thought was to take her to a nice one for her first ski trip, then the cheap ones after!! hehehe Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is this a little magic carpet lift that has been installed in the snowgarden in 1950? What is the long feature running down the middle of the photo?

BTW, thanks to AllanM for putting all those webscams on his website. Useful to have one page for Les Arcs cams.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Useful to have one page for Les Arcs cams.
I'll put some more up as they become available. If anyone wants any specific ones, PM me.
Al'
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar,

I think so - although obviously hoping for a bit more snow to bring the ground level up!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
webcam spotting...

Little bit of bashing going on at the top of the transarc today!!

Tracks at the top of the grizzly lift aswell

still not sure about the actual amount of snow. The black pole in the snowgarden webcam (botttom right) should be buried by now , as should the ditch.

Tux
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the info guys; I'm sorely tempted to book so long as I can tempt my friend into booking a trip pre-xmas.

Would any of the ski schools be open by mid December?

Nick
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Okay all, last report from ground zero is tomorrow but today I hiked up to the top of the Transarc and there has been a good 4 inches overnight in resort and probably 6 inches up the top of the transarc. The snow is knee deep at the top and I had a great ride back to resort.

There's been flurries of snow pretty much all day but last night it dumped, especially up to midnight. The tracks that were six inches deep down to my apartment were completely filled in by the time I went home at midnight.

The piste bashers haven't been doing much apart from driving around marking the runs and obviously packing the snow down a little. Mostly, they have been running up the lifts and checking everything over.
Quote:

rob@rar
super-snowHead
Location: LondonIs this a little magic carpet lift that has been installed in the snowgarden in 1950? What is the long feature running down the middle of the photo?

They have installed a couple of magic carpets in 2000 as well. One from the top of the Cabriolet lift going up to Place Haute (near the ice rink)
to replace the drag lift and also a much needed rope tow on the flat section below the bottom of Arcabulle going back to 2000 just above the Chalet l'Arc - a welcome addition, especially for boarders and beginners.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pablito, thanks for the report. Good news on the rope tow - is that all complete and ready to go?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I have a lesson booked on Tuesday at HH, and can't wait; hopefully the weather will allow for an unhindered trip up from the west country!!

Nick
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
n1ckster, yes, fingers crossed that the snowgods don't interfere with plans!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pablito wrote:
also a much needed rope tow on the flat section below the bottom of Arcabulle going back to 2000 just above the Chalet l'Arc - a welcome addition, especially for boarders and beginners.

blimey that's well needed, and not just for beginners...
snow conditions
Hi everyone, been away in the hills again. I am getting quite into this touring stuff. Sorry no update of Les Arcs as I was not in that area. Will have a chat with one of those that lives there and update tomorrow.

I am pleased to see the pics of the moving floor and to hear the rope tow that I talked about in the summer is built. Not sure about the moving floor up to the flames in Arc 2000 yet. Will find out. Puzzled

Thanks Pablito for all the updates from Arc 2000 while you've been out. Hope you managed to get a bit of riding in.

If there is anything like the amount of snow we had in Switzerland over in Les Arcs, then next week is going to be great. Powder all weekend, but yesterday it was a blizzard. The fun of touring for you. Toofy Grin
latest report
Just a quick update. The snow did arrive in Les Arcs as well over the last few days, although not as much as we had over here. But still good. The snow goes right down to the valley and on down towards Moutier, but do not worry if you are driving out, roads are clear right now. More snow predicted for the coming days so all look's great for the start of the season now at least. Toofy Grin

One downside, work had to stop on some stuff, but they hope to continue while the weather holds. Still expect to have everything ready for the 11th Dec.

For anyone coming out. There is the Les Arcs Film festival the first week of the season as well. Should be interesting, I attended last year and it was very good and did not effect the skiing or lifts either, in fact it made it better as more was running. Very Happy

Here is the film festival link if you want to get tickets.

http://www.lesarcs-filmfest.com/2010/home/?p=home
ski holidays
Thanks for the updates snowcrazy. Have been keeping a very close eye on the web cams, but its good to hear reports from the ground. Might well check out the film festival too!
snow report
Is it me or is there nowhere obvious to get tickets on that site? Well, the English version of it anyway, the French site might as well be in a different language for all the good it's doing me...
snow report
peterm,

http://www.lesarcs-filmfest.com/2010/getting-to-les-arcs/index.php?p=festival-pass

rolling eyes
latest report
Sorry no update as promised over the weekend - got a bit carried away with the rugby on Saturday and could have done with a rope tow to help me back to my apartment.

Snowed up until Saturday night and another inch or two at 2000 but not as much as Thursday night. Didn't look like snowing when I left yesterday.
Quote:

snowcrazy

They have put another carpet up behind the new Chalet des Neige building and created another fenced in small beginner area next to it. Not sure if it's my imagination but there seems to have been some serious earth moving going on as well. I think the earth they dug out to build the new apartments has been dumped into the little gulley next to the Cabriolet lift that you ski next to if your going from 2000 to the Varet/1950 - the fence with the ski school lollipops next to it. It's created a wider area for when it full of ski schoolers and the overall slope gradient has been increased very slightly so you shouldn't have to pole to get going anymore. The slope from the icerink down to the Cabriolet now has an even gradient all they way down - probably because of the carpet lift.

Enjoy! Back in January but not sure of dates yet.
snow report
Pablito, Thanks for that. I hope this means you can now get across to the chair in the centre of Arc 2000 without walking with my board or going crazy fast and scarring everyone.

I shall check everthing out when I get there next week and post a detailed update once I have seen it all with my own eyes I think. I cannot wait to see the new 'Poma T bar' rolling eyes for the snow park Evil or Very Mad
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
......going crazy fast and scarring everyone.

Remind me to give you a wide berth if ever our paths cross Shocked wink
snow report
Red Leon, Ah yes, but now we can go slowly Madeye-Smiley as I hear the moving floor thing should be working Very Happy , well they hope so anyway. We shall all have to wait and see.

It is snowing again. Should be worth a look on the web cams tomorrow. Just think by this time next week I will be on the snow everyday Toofy Grin
snow report
snowcrazy, livetoski, re the Film Festival... doesn't look like it's possible to pre-book individual tickets - am I missing something obvious here? Not too worried though - will see what's going when we arrive, I guess. The main question is, will we be able to get back to Arc2000 after a screening? We'll be staying in a catered chalet up there (hence not really wanting a full festival pass - I don't think we'll be summoning up the energy to go out for more than one film, tbh!) & I know there's a lift that usually runs until quite late in the evening, but given that this is the first week of the season...
latest report
Jo225, They have special buses for the film festival that take you from and back to Arc 1950, maybe Arc 2000 as well before and after every film so getting back it not a problem. Last year you could not go on these buses in ski gear as they do not like you in the movie places in ski gear so you have to go home and change first. Very Happy

Getting a ticket for each film is ok, but costs more. Toofy Grin

Hope to see you when you are out down at George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 for a beer. Smile

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 2-12-10 19:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks for that Chris Very Happy

Be good to meet up for a beer - see you soon! snowHead
latest report
Loads and loads of snow!! and it is still snowing now. Just what you all want to hear. The winter has really arrived and next week should be amazing. The wind is blowing a bit as well so lets hope it drops off and does not spoil all the new snow.

Take a look at the web cams, looking very good. Not long to go now. Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blue ski powder day... but no lifts and work to be done!!
snow report
Webcam spotting.

Started bashing under the grizzly lift...

funny as that lift is open later in dec than the rest.

Tux
ski holidays
Jo225, and others out for the film festival... this arrived today:

Dear Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry Owners,

The organizers of Les Arcs European Film Festival propose you a special offer to enjoy this exceptional event: the early booking festival pass for 20 € (instead of 25 €).
The pass provides access to all the public screenings, in Bourg Saint Maurice / Les Arcs during the 2010 festival (limited places). The pass also entitles the official catalogue.

To qualify for the promotion, you just have to:

1) log onto the festival website by clicking here: http://www.lesarcs-filmfest.com/2010/pass/pass-cinema-a.php
2) When ordering, please enter the following promotional code:

(Now you'll have spotted I've taken the promo code out because it's only supposed to be for owners to give to people staying in their places. However, if you were to PM me I'm sure I might be persuaded)

The offer applies to owners of Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry and / or occupants of their apartments (families, friends or guests).
Passes have to be pick up on site at Centre Bernard Taillerfer or Savoy Theatre. For more information about the festival: http://www.lesarcs-filmfest.com

In waiting to meet you on the occasion of this exceptional event.

Sincerely,

The Festival Team

Also going to post it on SC's facebook page (I hope! - see how that goes...)

Snow looking oh so good on those cams...
latest report
Looks like all those in the know with regard to Les Arcs are congregating in here. I'm off there for the first time in Jan, staying in the Chalet Altitude complex in Arcs 2000.

Had a few quick question about the resort that some kind sole might be able to answer....how much ski carrying/poling am I likely to be doing from the Altitude complex before hitting the nearest lift or reasonably skiable terrain? And likewise on the way back in.

Also, what time does the lift back from 1950 back to 2000 stop running in the evening? And is it far to walk back up if we miss it?

Thanks in advance for any help. Can't wait to get out there, webcams look awesome already!
snow report
rhsr, welcom to snowHead
Our intent is to run the last lift out of 1950 at 11pm. I have asked the resort manager to discuss with the Marie the option of later opening, but there are, as ever, constraints under French law.... Last couple of years we've put a gap in between ~ 9:30 and ~10:30 to give the lifties a break, and not exceed "no. of open hours in a 24 hours period..." cr&p. And of couse overtime to midnight or beyond starts to get verrrry expensive.

Walking up either the road or the slope after dark is illegal so I really can't come on an open forum and condone the 750m walk.

Not sure about access to / from Altitude - I think the diagrams on the website make it look worse than it really is, but you will need to get across to the other side of the village prior to starting to ski. Lanchettes is going to be your nearest uplift, but you can start by going down, again through 1950, or to the lift at Varet.

HTH
ski holidays
Bump - had to get this thread to the 1st page again Toofy Grin
ski holidays
genepi, No more Fatcontroller (see Chemmy thread) so I guess you will have to take over bumping it every day Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, I'm still here just can't be bothered subsidising the idiot moderators and have cancelled my subscription. Barely read any of the site anyway, now done with Tignes for 12 months time to move on to the Les Arcs thread as we are there in 3 weeks or so.
ski holidays
fssshhhhh Laughing wink
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing, I'm still here just can't be bothered subsidising the idiot moderators and have cancelled my subscription.

Moderators do not get paid, so you are not actually funding any of us idiots.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Yes, not being paid and idiots do sit well in the same sentence don't they Laughing
snow report
JimW wrote:
Our intent is to run the last lift out of 1950 at 11pm. I have asked the resort manager to discuss with the Marie the option of later opening.............

JimW, apologies but I can't figure out the context as to why this is being suggested? Cheers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy