Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
feeling a bit better now with the latest web cam views today Smile however...is there a web site that has all of the web cams in les arcs rather than having to check several sites Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ooh look i started page 8
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
monotokpoint wrote:
...is there a web site that has all of the web cams in les arcs rather than having to check several sites Puzzled

monotokpoint, Have a look at my signature. If there's any cams you want specifically let me have the URLs. They're not all live yet though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
monotokpoint, I still use this, not sure but thanks Allanm, it was you that made this I think. One thing, could you remove the out of date stuff on it so that the link only shows the current stuff. Not being a tech person I have know idea how easy that is off course. But thanks anyway. Toofy Grin

http://www.19x.co.uk/cgi-bin/snowheads.pl
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowcrazy, I'll update it over the weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
allanm, thanks what a star Very Happy , only a day before i get to ski, well maybe Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cool thanks guys - roll on the 12th, can't wait!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been while since my last post here. So, let me say - Hello everyone!!!

Last year you (Bertie, thefatcontroller, rob@rar, snowcrazy
and many others), did a superb work on get important informations and tips to us and I do like to say THANKS again. wink

Unfortunately I think we'll no be able to come to Arcs again this year... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But I'll be here to talk with you and try to help other people to have nice time at Les Arcs!!

So, think snow !!

Best wishes
Eduardo
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If this video has been posted up before, sorry! I just found it, of the avi on the 20th March 2010, I think it was the one which caught the 5 Polish skiers on the piste below.

http://youtube.com/v/RlNlG5wmSys&feature=related
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, Which area in Les Arcs was the avi ? Which piste did it hit?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMF_Skier, it was just below 1950 on the opposite side and came across the Cascades blue run if I remember correctly, snowcrazy, will know the exact location name etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got back from my first trip out onto the winter snow this weekend. Managed to get up to a farmhouse in the snow for the weekend with some friends. Great fun. Very Happy Snow level seemed to be at about 1100m and just under 1700m we had firm snow about 12cm depth. Very rustic with log fire and oil lamps for light at night. Snow was still frozen and in OK condition on the way down today. Is this the real start of the winter. Hope so, well below freezing at night. But I made the classic beginner mistake. Did not take spare batteries for the cold weather and guess what, after two shoots camera stopped working. Not happy Evil or Very Mad Oh well better planning next time. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMF_Skier, Just had a look at that video. The avalanche took place just below where the Red and Blue piste meet about 500m above the start of the Bois de l'Ours (thanks jim) and Marmottes Chair lifts near to Arc 1950. Yes it was the one where the people were caught on the piste, but only one was slightly buried and from what I heard mainly because the group stood and watched to long and did not get out of the way. Puzzled rolling eyes The others only had there feet covered, but still very scary. The avalanche was started high up on a slope that gets skied off piste a lot and is between two pistes. But you can never be to careful.

Here is another one, but controlled. Coming down the Robert Blanc and Flying K pistes from above on the Aiguille Rouge towards Arc 2000. See the people on the piste watching. This was controlled but still much bigger than they expected.

http://youtube.com/v/nba_pZTSheg&feature=related (Winter 2008)

and from another angle.

http://youtube.com/v/Q8UHWOEjIVY&feature=related

So be careful out there and always carry all your arvi kit if you have it.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 21-11-10 21:54; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Not for the faint hearted
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow! better not show that one to mother Very Happy
snow report
In the immortal words of Max Boyce... " I was there" - watching from about the same place as the camera, along with about 3-400 others. They'd closed the pistes at the bottom of the K prior to detonation, so there was no-one on St Jacques and Marmottes - which was why there were many waiting, and watching I guess.
When the aerosol hit, there were quite a few frightened people around - it was sort of like I'd imagine it being inside one of those snowflake paperweights - although the nonchalance of the resort workers did help calm any panic. But also over quite quickly, about 30 seconds I guess.

As per other threads on the site, at least we saw it coming - the pressure wave and snow flurries swept down though the 1950 kindergarten slopes, to much bemusment and not a little concern from the instructors - who had no idea what the pisteuers had done up top.

snowcrazy, presume you mean Bois de l'Ours and Marmottes...? wink
snow conditions
JimW, Very good Jim, pleased you spotted that. Yes you are right, was thinking of the top. Will go and change it now. Thanks.
latest report
Just back from a weekend of decorating & maintenance Madeye-Smiley

Took a wander up to La Vache & the new (old) lift Perchey is in place & they have carved a new easy run down to it off the Retour Plan Peisey. There is an area opposite La vache that has been flatened & is surrounded by tall blue poles. its just above the lift. Wondered if they are putting a piste side terrace there Puzzled

No change at the Flying Squirrel - looks just like it ever did out of season, so either the rumours are not true, or those Parisian girls have a bit of work to do in the next 4 weeks for it to turn into a wine bar Confused

There was snow down to Moulin, even after a weekend of sunshine Smile
snow report
YAYYYYYYYYY we are booked to go to Les Arcs at Christmas! I am a very happy snowhead! (Even more so that because we were patient and tracked the price of the holiday we have got £205 off the price over the past few weeks! It means flying to Geneva and a 4 hour transfer but we wouldn't have realistically got any skiing in anyway that day, so it's not a problem. We're going to be staying at Hotel du Golf at 1800 snowHead Just need to sort ski hire and get in touch with the recommended instructors snowHead
ski holidays
NSB1977, We did the drive to Geneva in 2hrs 20 last night, so hopefully the tour company is being pessimistic on the transfer time Smile Have agreat holiday snowHead
ski holidays
Tour companies try to avoid paying for the toll roads which turns a 2 and a half hour journey into a four hour one
latest report
Which weather forecast web sites do you guys use? I've been using snow-forecast - are there any local ones that are quite accurate?
ski holidays
monotokpoint, This is usually the most accurate and updated regularly
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagneprevisionville/730541
latest report
cool thanks Smile
snow conditions
Hi all, currently sitting in Whistlers Dream in Arc 2000 enjoying a pint, and thought I'd give a weather update. I went for a hike up the 2000 bowl today and there's probably about 4 inches of very dry powder everywhere at the moment but the grass is still showing through and they need quite a lot in the next couple of weeks before opening!!

This week is not looking too good, it's just going to be VERY cold (-37C with the wind chill on Friday!). It's been snowing all day for the first time since I arrived on Thursday but it's very light and isn't even settling on the roads. Sad

Let's hope next week it dumps big time!!
ski holidays
Pablito, Thanks for the report. Are you out in Les Arc for long? How's the beer?
ski holidays
Pablito, Thanks for the update. Please keep them coming. Are you out for the season working. If you are around the first week Dec, might see you in the bar for a beer.

genepi, What was the snow like over your side. Anything worth talking about.

Boredsurfing, yes I use that one as well, much better than snow forecast.

NSB1977, Hope to see you when you get out.
latest report
I notice the cannons were on up at 1950 all day. Must be cold Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..the beers quite good thanks, as long as you like Amstel. Wish I was doing another season here but have to get back to work unfortunately next week. Just a few days relaxing in my apartment and getting some pre-season turns in at Tignes.

Will hopefully be around for 2 or 3 weeks in January though if anyone wants to join me for a beer then?

Anyway, more importantly another inch or two has fallen since yesterday and it's looking like a bit more overnight, although the cloud is breaking up a bit.

Will send another update tomorrow.
latest report
Hi all, another inch or so again today. The forecast has changed a lot since yesterday and it now looks to be broken cloud and sun into the beginning of next week. The -37C forecast for Friday has changed - it's now going to be a balmy -24C instead apparently.

I know that snow conditions vary from one side of the mountain to the other but the pistehors printout at Tignes today said that it would be clouding up tomorrow and snowing heavily over the weekend. Will it be THAT different for four days?!!

Que sera sera
snow report
Pablito, Meteo are forecasting snow all over France this weekend - even as far south as Montpellier, where my daughter lives!
snow report
Pablito, great to have your heads up on the fresh snow, only another week and I will be there all the time. Toofy Grin Can you ski down to 1600 now if you hike up. Are they starting to prepare any thing yet.

The snow forecast looks good for the next few days. Hope it comes.

For anyone that wants to look at cool videos of off piste skiing places or learn a few new routes. There is a Freeriding thread about Les Arcs running in the resort section. Here is the link.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68948
snow report
Contrary to snow-forecast.com, this local link predicts snow from Sunday onwards. I know which one I 'want' to believe Cool

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagneprevisionville/730541
snow report
Hi, I have been alerted to a potentially good value catered chalet in Plan Peissy for 7 nights on the w/c 13th of December and am seriously considering a pre Xmas trip.

Obviously the prices have been reduced for a reason, and therefore I'm a little concerned that it may be due to a lack of snow in resort.

Does anybody have any sage like wisdom as to the chances of open pistes by the 2nd week of December?

Nick
snow report
n1ckster wrote:
Hi, I have been alerted to a potentially good value catered chalet in Plan Peissy for 7 nights on the w/c 13th of December and am seriously considering a pre Xmas trip.

Obviously the prices have been reduced for a reason, and therefore I'm a little concerned that it may be due to a lack of snow in resort.

Does anybody have any sage like wisdom as to the chances of open pistes by the 2nd week of December?

Nick

My crystal ball says there will be loads of snow. Maybe wishfull thinking though as I'll only be a week behind you Very Happy
latest report
n1ckster, quite often the first week the resort is open many of the chalets and deals are good value or cheaper due to them being trainer weeks for staff - getting used to new menus and up to speed for the christmas rush. i have been to les arcs on the first week for the last couple of years and the snow has been very good both times. if i recall correctly all the lifts were open, and they only time they were shut was due to high winds.

the lift pass is also cheaper on that week, i think an adult pass is the same as a childs - around 150 euros. the forecast seems to be getting better next week onwards, but i think you should be ok - i hope so as i'm going to be there again from the 12th Very Happy
snow report
NSB1977 wrote:
YAYYYYYYYYY we are booked to go to Les Arcs at Christmas! I am a very happy snowhead! (Even more so that because we were patient and tracked the price of the holiday we have got £205 off the price over the past few weeks! It means flying to Geneva and a 4 hour transfer but we wouldn't have realistically got any skiing in anyway that day, so it's not a problem. We're going to be staying at Hotel du Golf at 1800 snowHead Just need to sort ski hire and get in touch with the recommended instructors snowHead

Lemmie know what the hotel is like as I'm there in Feb (proposing to the Fiance! Shocked ) lol
ski holidays
n1ckster, Plan Peisey itself isnt opening till the 18th, so although Les Arcs opens on the 11th, you might find not all the lifts on the Peisey side are open then. I'll have a little check round 7 see if i can find out which lifts are open. But as long as you can get up from there, you'd be fine.
ski holidays
Angry Squirrel, It is a very nice hotel, I like the jazz in the bar some nights, but it is a funny shape. You will see what I mean.

n1ckster, Normally not all the lifts are open at the start of the first week. Last year in the first week only most of the lifts in Arc 2000 were open and a few in the other areas. This year the first week is seven days later so I hope more will be open, but still not everything and not the Vanoise Express linking to La Plagne side.

But it still should be ok for skiing and there are quite a few of us out for the first week.
snow report
Hmm, all I can find on the Plan Peisey website is a reference to partial opening on the 11th. The Vanoise Express opens on the 18th. Probably why the lift passes are cheapermonotokpoint, wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy