Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas and Late Jan/1st week Feb.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right, so I have spent 2 days confusing myself thoroughly so I am hoping you can help - or confuse me more, maybe Very Happy

We want a week away at Christmas - I am trying to persuade OH to go the week before Christmas, or even the week after, as I know it will be far better value. I think OH would rather us take advantage of the Christmas shut down from work though, so's not to use up extra leave.

We also want a week away the last week in Jan/first week in Feb, whatever those dates might be, as we had a superb, quiet week in Les Arcs. Because we had such a great time we'd like to go back but this time probably stay at 1800, but we're not sure whether to go at Christmas or back for the same week as last time. Then, we also want to try somewhere new. Between us we've been to Andorra, Mayrhofen, St Johan in Tyrol, Bad Hofgastein, Niederau, Zell and Kaprun, and L2A in France.

So, would you go the Les Arcs at Christmas and somewhere else in Jan, or vice versa? I am just about skiing reds but happier on blues, OH is happy on anything, he'd be happy with mostly blues and reds if the scenery was pretty. We'd like to go half board hotel at Christmas, or self catered, no chalets, and I'd like to not be horrifically cold (Raynauds means I get miserable) although I survived a few days with -18 with mittens and teabags and a balaclava last year. We'd also like a bit of casual apres ski if possible, one or two places we've stayed have been very quiet, not that we want clubs or anything. Somewhere with enough slopes for a week for OH.

Any obvious places jump out? I'm getting confused about where is really "snowsure", too.

For Christmas our budget is about £800 half board pp (or the equivalent SC), which we'll hopefully book nearer the time, but I want to have time to research and narrow down options so I can keep an eye out for the best prices. A bit less budget for the other week. Do I just want the moon on a stick?

Suspect yes! Laughing If you could help though, I would be grateful. Thanks!

NSB1977
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. the problem is that "snowsure" (not that any where is REALLY snowsure at Christmas) means high altitude, and high altitude means cold, possibly miserably cold, exposed and windy. So somewhere with plenty of skiing at different altitudes would be helpful. there's a lot of rubbish about "snowsure" resorts in the brochures, some places claiming to be snowsure because they have some snowcannons. Trouble is, if it's warm, snow cannons don't work. And they usually only cover a minority of the slopes, though coverage is expanding rapidly in many places.

The week after Christmas will be super expensive because it's New Year. Before Christmas would indeed be cheaper, and much quieter, though some resorts don't open that early. If you wanted a pre-Christmas cheap, quiet, week book at the last minute when you know where the snow is. Much nicer to go to a lower altitude resort with trees and less arctic temperatures if it's a chilly December, but if it's warm and wet (as it can be) you'd be better off somewhere like Tignes. Val Thorens would also be a good bet - you can go lower down in the valley if it's cold and the snow cover is good.

For the last week in Jan/early February you'd be unlucky not to get decent snow cover just about anywhere, though the same caveats apply about altitude - you need some tree lined options anytime, especially if you suffer from the cold. Les Arcs could be good either time - it's not somewhere I know well but lots of people here do, and will be along to give advice about weather and snow cover. When snow cover is thin you can obviously head to the higher parts of the domain, but when that happens on a busy week, the higher runs can get busy. But the point about not using up extra leave is rather an important one and Christmas in the mountains is great.

There are hundreds of resorts which would suit you, really. Will you be looking for tuition?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This may make it worse, but I think that at end of jan/early Feb, the snow should be good pretty much anywhere, so you could use that week to try somewhere new. You would have the whole plethora of resorts to chose from. At Christmas, the snow is likely to be best at high altitude resorts, such as Les Arcs.

I am off to Serre Chevalier in early Feb. It gets good reviews on here, with its mix of trees and open bowls, good range of pistes for all abilities, and a few bars/restuarants without being 'in your face'. I am sure others will be along soon to offer suggsetions. I am doing it DIY for about £600pp all in (flight, transfer, lift pass, ski hire/carriage, SC apartment, food), just drinking money/evening acitivies on top. Another place I have been which was good value, good range of pistes was Valloire. I would really recommend it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try this hotel, situated between Les Arcs/Villaroger and Val d'Isere/Tignes. The rooms have all just been refurbished and the restaurant is excellent. http://www.le-monal.com/ you will not be disappointed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone, I think you've mentioned a few of the places I was thinking of, which is good. Carettam that budget sounds brilliant, if it includes lift pass and lunchtime food/drinks etc too, that's a lot cheaper than we've done it so SC is probably worth a look.

Another quick question - are slopes and restaurants open on Christmas day everywhere/anywhere?

Pam, thanks, yes we'd like a couple of hours each private tuition probably, probably not group lessons as I've had a couple of bad experiences with them, although OH has always had more luck with lessons in Austria than we did in France. But equally he'd like to be able to go and ski his difficult reds/blacks without me, as I'm not nearly up to his standard which can make a bit boring for him as it's just the two of us.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy