Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pettneu am Arlberg Bankrupt (Back in Business soon)

Poster: A snowHead
The lift Company of Pettneu am Arlberg (Austria) has commenced bankruptcy procedures in the State court In Innsbruck

http://www.seilbahn.net/snn/bericht.php?wert=3028&wert1=4&zurueck=0

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-12-13 19:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So what does that mean? Are they responsible for all the lift in the Arlberg or what?

Sorry my austrian is a little rusty - hmm actually I should say Non existant.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, Pettneu is only a very small ski area down the road from St Anton.
http://www.bergfex.at/pettneu/

It looks to be a typical small ski area where the local children learn to ski.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe they had been confined to a basement
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Pettneu Arlberg lift company is independent company formed in 2006 and runs the lifts in Pettneu.

They were looking for rescue package i.e the big neighbour http://www.arlbergerbergbahnen.com/ in St Anton. Maybe it will still come or some other big player.

Operations of the Pettneu lifts this December will be dependent on reorganisation,fresh capital & this will all have to be worked out in the bankruptcy proceedings.

IMO. I cannot imagine them not getting this sorted out before to long.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.skipettneu.com

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Sorry my austrian is a little rusty - hmm actually I should say Non existant.

Seems reasonable when the language is non-existent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it? So what do they speak, it is close to german but definitely different?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
Is it? So what do they speak, it is close to german but definitely different?

Quote:
Alemannic
Alemannic is spoken in Vorarlberg. Vorarlberg uses a High Alemannic, the same dialect group as that spoken in Northern Switzerland (outside Basel) and parts of southern Alsace, France. It is fairly mutually intelligible with German; however, many Germans find it difficult to understand due to the phonological and grammatical differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Austria
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

So what do they speak, it is close to german but definitely different?

As I was once told by a local in Kirchberg after apologizing for not speaking much German
"No I don't speak German either, I speak Tiroler" something to that effect as best as I understood it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But the leaflet is written - in German.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems a straightforward but sadly all too common case these days.

In my community the private owners of the lift company were bought out by the community and the DAV (75% and 25% shares). The first year the lifts were only run during the summer season and they gradually started to make an adequate if not huge turnover. In the first winter season they could not afford to pay the salary of a Master of Lift Systems (Bergbahnmeister) so we had a season without any lifts which hit the tourist trade where it hurts. I've heard a rumour that the lifts will be open this season IF they can find a qualified winter Master.

We only have one chair (a single!), a cable car and then two seasonal drag lifts serving the nursery areas. We are not an alpine ski area as such but the cable car did do a good trade with taking ski tourers up to the top where they could then explore quite a large area before choosing a descent. The local ski school is a small part-time one and they just took their students to the nearest alternatives (Kampenwand and Sudelfeld).

The biggest users of the lift system are the paraglider and hang glider pilots - summer and winter!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Austria the small ski areas often get bailed out financially. This is probably because it's in Austria's interest to offer skiing to as large a population as possibe. Some big ski names come from very humble ski resorts (e.g. Michaela Dorfmeisters home Mountain had only 4 drag lifts and a day ticket is even cheaper than Pettneu.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beequin wrote:

Which also shows that my German is also non-existant. Laughing

I did Latin until the 3rd year and failed GCSE french (got a D), the only way I was allowed to do german at school was to give up PE and I didn't want to do that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beequin wrote:

A Scotsman might be able to read English but that doesn't mean an Englishman will understand what he says or that the Scotsman will understand cockney English.
ski holidays
DB, I agree ; and it gets even less likely extrapolated to Chinese.
NickyJ, My German is close to non-existent too.
However, I have enjoyed finding more about German dialects. Puzzled
snow report
Shame, hope someone buys it and makes something of it. Taught my son to ski there. Nice compact ski area, only drawback being the single chairlift. Just a short bus ride away from St Anton nightlife and a cheapish taxi back.
snow report
A hike up the ridgeline from the top lift towards the top right hand corner of the picture looks to have potential...
latest report
Oh, and NickyJ they do speak German lol (albeit 'farmer's' German)
latest report
David E Goldsmith wrote:
Maybe they had been confined to a basement

Josef Fritzl's neighbour was asked by a journalist how long he had known Fritzl's daughter Alice"
"Alice?" he repiled, "who the f**k is alice?"
"Do you mean FOR 24 YEARS IVE BEEN LIVING NEXT DOOR TO ALICE
snow report
limegreen1, Laughing
snow conditions
Pettneu am Arlberg

The future of the lifts is still uncertain. Following the lift company bankruptcy, Last season in January a Norwegian investor bought some of the lifts. There still has to be a decision weather the Norwegian investor will buy the main lift, & parking lot but this does not look likely before this winter. Doppelmayr are getting impatient & want to know who the new operator is by the summer otherwise they are going to take down, reclaim the main lift

http://tirol.orf.at/stories/516863/
latest report
Last season the ski area did not operate because of the insolvency. I doubt weather it will ever reopen unless one of the heavy hitters (St Anton) buys it but as far as I know there not interested.

Over on the German Forum some recent photos (photo heavy)

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=43828&p=4846614&hilit=arlberg#p4846614
ski holidays
Could be viably run as a beginner area for St Anton quite easily if they were interested given their own beginner facilities aren't great. Main barrier to that would be hassle of allowing mixed ability parties to meet up for lunch etc.
latest report
stanton, I remember a sort of elephant trail that went round a circuit of small resorts around St Anton, one being St johann. Was Pettneu in this ring and would its absence destroy the circuit ?
latest report
Stayed in Pettneu when I skied St Anton last time.

The place is a bit out of the way to the main Arlberg circuit. Seems a bit of liability for the big boy to run it. Didn't try it out when I was there.
snow conditions
Believe it or not, Ski Esprit used to go there.

Nice compact ski area. At the other end of Austria it would probably be a successful little resort.
latest report
I was talking to some locals who live in Petteneu last summer and they said that the future isn't looking at all rosy re the lifts reopening, but they didnt seem too bothered.....they are big into ski touring and they said its brilliant, no lift served freeriders mashing up their pow, they can just walk up when they feel like it and have fresh tracks every day! Hope they do get it operational again, some great off-piste up there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, Shhh!!!
ski holidays
clarky999, +1
snow conditions
You need to go further down valley to Flirsch am Arlberg for the best touring wink
latest report
Russians to the rescue !

http://www.tt.com/Nachrichten/5458494-2/russen-sollen-pettneuer-lifte-retten.csp
latest report
stanton, Look forward to riding the new Gulagbahn in future years! Its great news that the lifts will run again, theres been plenty of investment, maybe a few more million Rubles will now be pumped into further development.
snow conditions
The Skilifts in Pettneu "could" be back up & running again before Xmas.

http://rundschau.at/artikel/101020/Neustart_in_Sicht
ski holidays
Should have updated this earlier, but the lifts are running again in Pettneu. Can't remember when, but I know they had planned on opening earlier this season but due to the snow conditions earlier and lack of snow making facilities, they had to delay it. Not sure about pass costs/inclusion with the Arlberg pass, but will try and find out.
ski holidays
stanton, Doppelmayr would want to wind their neck in....the rumour mill has them as No1 suspect for flogging Kim Jong Un his ski lift via some backdoor deal.
snow report
We noticed today that on this page http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/stanton/ this is listed in the 'news' section:

News – 2014/15
The three lifts at Pettneu are to reopen and will be covered by the Arlberg pass.

Has anyone heard anymore about the Pettneu area? I enquired about an apartment there recently and the owner said they did not know whether or not the area would be operating 2015/16
latest report
The ski area reopened last season, not in the Arlberg this season so not sure of the status this season, might be better enquiring in the Arlbeg snow report thread
ski holidays
This season's piste map shows the lifts but they are not numbered neither are there any runs shown. I would guess that it isn't operational but I didn't go and check it out.

The 'legend' at the side of the map showing the runs in the area does not mention Pettneu but on the back it IS mentioned as part of the winter sport region Ski Arlberg.
snow report
Only thing I know is that the locals are saying its ski touring heaven! No lifts working means no people in their back yard.

Seems a great shame that it can't somehow be linked with main Arlberg area, to have all that infrastructure just sat there unused, 2km or so from St Anton is a crazy situation but they are I understand borrowed heavily and I guess the Arlberg don't need to inherit their debts, they'd rather invest in their own new lifts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy