Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The benefit of blades?

Poster: A snowHead
Manda wrote:
I think we all agree on that? Laughing

Yes we can. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer wrote:
skiing backwards off piste on purpose is incredibly difficult but I have seen someone manage it once. On a video.

I've seen a guy ski an entire off piste face backwards - on a video. I have an inkling itmay have been one of the "solid powder" series as I'm 99% certain the guy was from scandinavia.

By the way, the solid powder series is worth a shufty if you have broadband, three half hour films available for free download. You can even, if you have the ight software, burn themto VCD and watch them on your telly.

http://solidpowder.com

Alternatively, it could be Further from Teton Gravity Research, SkiMovie III: the front line, or just possiblywarren Miller's Storm as they're the only other ski films I have.

or itmay be something I borrowed off a friend, but I doubt it as he tends to have snowboard videos.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've bladed a couple of times, though not for a couple of years. Just as you would expect very short skis to be. Easy to turn and skate as light and compact. Very forgiving as no length to lock you into a turn or throw your weight fore or aft. Very quick edge to edge. Very easy to learn and get comfortable with (How long does it actually take? About 50m). Just stay on the edges and carve away. Fun as it's a different (manoeuvrable though not fast) way of sliding on snow.

Helpful? Not sure. Haven't spent enuff time on them. I suspect could help with practising quick edge changes and knee steering for carving. Doing something similar but not the same as something you're trying to get good at is a tried and tested indirect way of training, which it has been recognised, does result in improvement additional to direct training methods. So I was surprised to see in another recent thread the consensus that in-line skating is unhelpful.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

ski, I want to! Am quite keen to try them myself next season, having watched friends dancing around on them this season. Stupid question, but does one need lessons to use blades safely or is it de rigeur to just strap on & go?

Manda, Strap on and go ! You might want to wait until the snow has softened a bit ........... Smile

Oh, and when Easiski reads this, please pay the same attention to other slope users as you would on your skis snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges wrote:
(manoeuvrable though not fast) way of sliding on snow.

My daughter has clocked 56.7 mph on blades.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, Was she wearing them in the car? Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, Laughing it's slightly easier to operate the pedals than on 2m skis!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, where was that?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, I used to ride my motorbike to the ski slope, with (leather) telemark boots on, and (2m) skis on the rack. I'd say laundryman, 's daughter probably went faster on her blades !

Why? - because I could, that's why !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, ladies' WC downhill, Côte 2000, Megève.

WC = World Cup, before the double entendres fly. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, I'll be trying blades this weekend for the first time. I'm going for 6.7mph myself!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

a bandaid for unsafe/poor technique

I don't really see how blades can be much help as a bandaid for poor technique - though they are rather good at revealing some bad techniques which can be disguised on skis, especially people who have their weight on their heels. Too far back on blades and you are on the deck. This thread started with the suggestion that blades can be a valuable teaching aid and several posts, from people who know what they are talking about, have confirmed that they are.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not good for powder though Neh Neh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

a bandaid for unsafe/poor technique

I don't really see how blades can be much help as a bandaid for poor technique - though they are rather good at revealing some bad techniques which can be disguised on skis, especially people who have their weight on their heels. Too far back on blades and you are on the deck. This thread started with the suggestion that blades can be a valuable teaching aid and several posts, from people who know what they are talking about, have confirmed that they are.

I'm not entirely sure tht's true. Bad technique such as weight too far back or forward is also reasonably evident on skis - perhaps you don't fall over but you would notice lack of control, difficulty turning, washing out the turns, slipping, lack of edge engagement etc. Blades could also hide bad technique - For example I could track turns on blades long before I could do so on skis - so something was still up with technique but whatever it was I got away with it on blades. I also tended to ski slightly in the back seat - I could get away with this on blades just as easily as on skis - only much video analysis, coaching, and practice has beaten this out of me (almost!).
Not an expert on the teaching thing but does the fact that you don't use poles with blades have a negative effect on upper body positioning and movement or would you just use them as tools for teaching very specific things?
Not sure why people think jumping is better/easier on blades - I prefer a bigger platform to land on (especially on soft snow). Skis are definitely more forgiving if you don't get the landing right!

PS Easiski, I'm still not quite sure how you'd ski deep/heavy powder/crud without pushing your feet forward hence being more on the heel of the foot (weight still centred however!). I find that if I don't do that I get too forward (ie face plant! rolling eyes ) -how does staying on the balls/toes work here?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fragglerock, No - sink and stop dead! Fun watching though!!!

Manda - just try them, but bear in mind that you a) need to keep them on their edges or they are alarmingly unstable and b) it's helpful to take a slightly lower and wider stance than on normal skis.

laundryman, Is your daughter a lunatic? Alternatively is she only 2' tall? I'm astonished at that speed on a pair of blades - afraid to say I'd have bottled long before that sort of speed! Shocked
latest report
easiski, (1) yes, (2) no. She's 17 and seems pretty fearless - and very practised on blades. Shocked
snow report
laundryman,

56.7 metres per hour? That's not very fast.

I think it's about time you bought her some proper skis. If you let her know she'll go faster on them, I'm sure she'll try them.

Laughing
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
56.7 metres per hour? That's not very fast.

Sorry, I got mixed up with me, at football. Smile
snow conditions
Not too bad in the soft stuff depending on the blade. Salomon Pro and Atomic 1.20 have as much surface area as a piste carver in a longer length.
ski holidays
my daughter doesn't exactly "flow" through the powder, trees, rocks, crud, narrow paths, on blades. She and her cousins have found by trial and error that you do, indeed, need to be in the back seat off piste, with the tips up, and they sort of "yomp" - similar to the technique used by scree-running mountaineers, or skilled people on raquettes/snowshoes who can slide downhill leaping from foot to foot through the powder. It's not anything like using fat skis off piste, and I doubt if anyone will make inspirational videos of it. It's just a different way of having fun. And when they need to take them off and climb out of the rivers, ravines and dead ends they find themselves in, they're easier to carry than skis. She can also go very fast on piste - unlike laundryman I have no idea how fast, I just know it's faster than I generally go on skis. I have to make a big effort to keep up. Seems to me there are lots of ways of having fun, and to take up moralistic stances as to which is more worthy is just silly. There are lots of stupid and thoughtless snowboarders, skiers and bladers out there, but as someone who is now lucky enough to be able to spend a lot of the season (not to mention the summer) in the Alps, I enjoy trying them all.
snow report
pam w, yep, my girls have developed similar off-piste techniques: one involves a sort of pedalling action, which is hilarious.
snow report
pam w, please don't take my anti-snowblade stance as moralistic. I freely admit that it's no more than pure snobbery, and as such, totally unjustified. Very Happy
ski holidays
laundryman,

I sometimes reach such speeds on my morning drive to work, but only when the traffic's flowing. wink

Seriously though, that's impressive. You should post a vid on the Media Zone. She must look amazing...I mean her skiing must look amazing...I mean, not that I'm not sure that she doesn't look amazing too... Embarassed

Change subject, I'll be pleased if my kids get halfway to that good before they turn to the Dark Side. Confused
snow report
pam w, Maybe it's our proximity to Marseille, but in the holidays our pistes are absolutely lttered with extremely dangerous and large young men (usually of Arab extraction) who terrorise every law abiding piste user. It's not the fault of the blades - I have a pair and my publicity does say that I teach snowblading (which is true) - but because they're so easy they're imensly popular with people who don't want to/can't be bothered to/possibly can't afford to learn to ski.

this should not be taken as moralistic or even racist - just a statement of fact!
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
Seriously though, that's impressive. You should post a vid on the Media Zone. She must look amazing...I mean her skiing must look amazing...I mean, not that I'm not sure that she doesn't look amazing too... Embarassed

digging a hole there, slikedges... wink

My father, laundryman, just informed me of this thread... in response to another previous comment, I am not a lunatic Smile nor am I 2' tall.
I think the thing that laundryman 'forgot' to mention as well was that speed was recorded during a competition between him, me and my sister (also on blades that day) where I beat him, although he was on long skis! Laughing Laughing

I must just be good at bombing down steep slopes! For reference, the blades this record was set on were Minimax 99.9...
snow conditions
laundryman, if I had a 17 year old daughter, there is no way on earth that I would consider publishing a picture of her on this website for the delectation of these reprobates! Shocked
latest report
Kramer, Laughing snowHead
snow report
snowscreamer,

If you have felt your modesty to have been insulted in any way, I should like to express my sincerest regrets and hope you will graciously accept my humblest apologies for any untoward connotation, which I should assure you is entirely unintended. I should also like to take this opportunity to assure you that I am not the kind of snowHead to whom Kramer refers, who regularly solicits for videos of young ladies on this website for my or anyone else's delectation. Though I am a reprobate. wink

Kramer,

You're out of the club NehNeh

laundryman,

Quote:

a competition between him, me and my sister (also on blades that day) where I beat him, although he was on long skis!

Come on, let's hear the excuse. Time to come clean - you know we have to demand whiter than white from you! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No excuses. But I've already owned up to being a whopping 0.3 mph slower here. Daughter No. 2 (usually the fastest laundryperson in a GS on proper skis) might have beaten us both but, at 50+ mph on her blades, she elegantly avoided an interloper starting across the hill in front of her, frustrating her attempt on the blade land speed record. These days, snowscreamer easily outshines me in French as well, but I like to think I can read a piste map a little better. But if she reads this, she's bound to have her own take, and you may not hear from me again. Kids - who'd 'av 'em?
latest report
I have done a fair bit of skiboarding now (blading is the WRONG term unless you use only salomon)...... i tried it as a 2 week skier and basically never looked back..... I like the freedom of no poles, i like the manoeverability, i like not having to spend years learning. As a recreational skier, why does it matter that there are limitations? I would have said that for someone in my boat, skis will always be more limiting. Im just out there to have fun......

Oh and I would have said on skiboards that leaning back is something you can do without issue...... in fact if you desire to go properly fast, leaning back helps no end.

Ad
latest report
buns, On the contrary. Skiboard is an american term. The first proper short skis were Salomon Snowblades, and the name has become generic. Skiboard is just another american attempt to be different to europe! By using the term you're supporting this superiority conplex they have.!!

If you lean back you're out of control, and therefore are one of the bladers mentioned above. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
easiski, were the first "skiboards" not made by Line (who called them skiboards)? Then Salomon came along and made what they marketed as "snowblades", so that name is in fact just a Salomon brand?
Incidently if you have to get some skiboards/snowblades/whatever, I found Line ones are _way_ better than Salomon ones
snow report
I always thought that the first blades were the "bigfeet" from about 15 years ago.
snow report
Kramer, Yes - Bigfeet were first, but they are completely different. They really are big feet but blades really are little skis. Try Bigfeet once and never again - try slalom training on them - yuk!

stuarth, Don't know about over the pond but the Salomon Snowblade was the first very small ski to be marketed here. Hence the term becoming generic. The French often refer to them as patinettes (skates). I know there are many different makes here, but if you go into a hire shop in France and ask for skiboards they won't know what you mean (we don't want to follow the Yanks). Ask for snowblades and you might not get the Salomon version but you'll get a very short ski.

As far as I'm concerned, they're a lot of fun for an afternoon, a good teaching aid, but not a useful everyday ski. I'm not packing them for the bash, although I am taking both slalom and off piste skis. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Daughter No. 2 (usually the fastest laundryperson in a GS on proper skis) might have beaten us both but, at 50+ mph on her blades, she elegantly avoided an interloper starting across the hill in front of her, frustrating her attempt on the blade land speed record.

I don't appreciate being referred to as a "laundryperson"!! Shocked And I don't think your other daughter would either!

Quote:
These days, snowscreamer easily outshines me in French as well

True, true Wink

Quote:
but I like to think I can read a piste map a little better

What's wrong with my reading of piste maps?? Puzzled

Quote:
But if she reads this, she's bound to have her own take, and you may not hear from me again. Kids - who'd 'av 'em?

How rude.
latest report
Help! Shock
latest report
laundryman, I wouldn't stop below snowscreamer ever again. They may never be able to dig you out of the snow she's liable to spray on you! Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead

Too cool that ya'll enjoy the snow together! This was my first year with my family all on-snow (ages 3, 8, and 11, plus my bride of 20 years). What a blessing!
ski holidays
ssh, we've had barrels of laughs over the years. One of the things I really like about skiing is that (in general) adults have no particular advantage over kids (somewhat the reverse in our case) nor males over females, so the whole family can get involved together in healthy outdoor activity.
snow report
John Rivett, I see that the days of reasonable and well balanced posting have been put behind you then? wink
snow report
Kramer, there is nothing well balanced about 90% of people on blades...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy