Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The benefit of blades?

Poster: A snowHead
What are the thoughts on longer skiboards (blades if you insist on being wrong!)? There are some which are very close to the length of skis.... I just bought myself a spanky new pair of 99cm boards.... roll on January!

Adam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My blades are short (80cm), fat (14cm), built for tricks, although the only time they get 'air' is when I hang them on the garage wall! My wife's Head Big Easy's are 94cms and the difference is huge between the two types. The Big Easy's are much better for higher speeds but not as responsive for turns. I can go faster through bumpy moguls but she is quicker on the groomed pistes. Without seeing the shape of your new 'boards' I would guess thay are for fast carving.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris,

I got Line Mike Nick Pro's.... almost universally acclaimed as the best board about. It's supposedly great for the park but some of the top guys are fairly convinced it rocks for carving too.... hence why I bought it as opposed to the Line Bullet. My old boards are Big Easy's.... funny board they are too! They are way heavy and I found a wee tad unstable. My major complaint was that at speed (admittedly they arent designed for that), they did their best to 'get away'. At least 2 others on various US forums have said the same thing so it isnt just me..... I found it rather disconcerting that (when I was lucky enough to find a nice wide empty slope), I had to battle to keep the boards under me, even in a straight line!

Adam
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris,

I got Line Mike Nick Pro's.... almost universally acclaimed as the best board about. It's supposedly great for the park but some of the top guys are fairly convinced it rocks for carving too.... hence why I bought it as opposed to the Line Bullet. My old boards are Big Easy's.... funny board they are too! They are way heavy and I found a wee tad unstable. My major complaint was that at speed (admittedly they arent designed for that), they did their best to 'get away'. At least 2 others on various US forums have said the same thing so it isnt just me..... I found it rather disconcerting that (when I was lucky enough to find a nice wide empty slope), I had to battle to keep the boards under me, even in a straight line!

Adam
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And there I am on a pair of the original Salomon Snowblades - blue and white - no idea how long - pretty short though. They're fine! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
And there I am on a pair of the original Salomon Snowblades - blue and white - no idea how long - pretty short though. They're fine! Very Happy

You do know you would get banned on skiboard forums for a statement like that!!! Very Happy The salomons really have a terrible reputation for broken bindings, so dont go trying any park stuff! Skullie
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buns, At 53 I'm too old for park stuff! I just teach people how to ski on them (properly)!!! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buns wrote:
easiski wrote:

You do know you would get banned on skiboard forums for a statement like that!!! Very Happy The salomons really have a terrible reputation for broken bindings, so dont go trying any park stuff! Skullie

Buns, most of the different manufacturers use the same bindings, just a different label on them!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easiski,

On the skiboards forums, I have been warned against lessons from a ski instructor mainly because they will teach me ski technique, which is not right for boards blades (i say only what ive been told!).

WTHF,

That isnt right... while it is true that salomons and other cheap boards are like that, there are plenty of choices for skiboard bindings....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
buns, I was thinking of Salomon, Head, and Fischer. Line have their own bindings. Who else?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WTFH,

The head binding is of course very different to the run of the mill salomon/Fischer! Very Happy

Others would be Spruce with their releasible range; Snowjam; Canon and Bomber Elite.... Line have multiple bindings although their releasible apparently leaves much to be desired (it is ridiculously heavy im told).

Adam
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buns, it's been a while since I examined them, but in the early days, Head were using the same binding as Salomon, etc.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WTFH, as far as im aware, all current salomons (save next season where i know there will be changes) have used cheap plastic non-release bindings. The head boards have used releasibles for the last few years.

Adam
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buns, Ahhhhhh - so the skiboard forums are where all these monster trash idiots are encouraged to razz around the mountain with no control and no piste etiquette???? Shocked Shocked Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes wink

Seriously though, as far as I can see, the majority of "just do it" bladers tend to stand up very tall, stiff legs, weight on their heels and lean back. It's my experience that to get the blades to carve well and be stable that you actually need to get a bit deeper into the ski than with regular skis, more hip angulation too. The Teapot exercise usually does the trick (especially when you make them sing it!) wink wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, that's my experience as well. To really enjoy an afternoon on blades I'm sure I have to be technically better than I normally am on skis, otherwise the blades just slither around underneath me. I've never done the teapot exercise, not least because my singing would result in confiscation of my liftpass Wink
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, NB: I don't sing myself for a very good reason .......................
ski holidays
Easiski,

Enlighten me to this teapot thing! Ive only been on the snow a couple of years so am not very up on all of this! Very Happy

The trouble that would be noted about skiers teaching people to skiboard is that the skier pays scant regard for the location of the binding (perhaps not all, but that is the generalisation).

Adam
snow report
buns wrote:
Easiski,

Enlighten me to this teapot thing! Ive only been on the snow a couple of years so am not very up on all of this! Very Happy

buns, it's an exercise to get a more pronounced/effective hip angulation. I've seen two variations: (1) ski with your hands on your hips, and focus on 'pushing' your hip into the turn, and (2) one hand on hip, one hand on head, alternating as you link turns (left hand on hip as you turn right, and vice-versa). Named after the childhood song ("I'm a little teapot, short and stout, ...").

This photo over at mysnowsports.com by PG illustrates the exercise. Check the carved line left by a previous skier to see that these are pure carved turns with no skidding at all.
latest report
So if you are turning to your left, you push your right hip?

Adam
ski holidays
buns,
Quote:

The trouble that would be noted about skiers teaching people to skiboard is that the skier pays scant regard for the location of the binding (perhaps not all, but that is the generalisation).

Can you explain further ? Comparing my skis to blades the bindings look to be in about the same position ?
latest report
buns, Teapot, the way I do it is to push the hip in as you say (that's the handle) and with the other hand/arm reach forward as per a spout. All to be completed whilst singing "I'm a little teapot, short and stout" etc.

ski, I would agree - with the bindings set central (with old style, you should always, of course move them equally), I cannot see a huge difference in relation to the centre ski.

Of course, "skiboard" is an American term, so maybe we're coming back to HH here? If the forums are american then the criticisms will be of US instructors, and should not be generalised over here in Europe. Confused Puzzled Confused
snow report
easiski, what's the European term?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Snowblade - I know that's the name for the Salomons, but it's become generic! The French occasionally call them "patinettes". You can try mine if you make it to the bash!!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
easiski, it was a semi-trick question on my part - waiting for you to say "snowblade" then I'd jump in with the hoover/sellotape argument. I haven't used Salomon blades in years - but I might bring my Fischers to the bash...
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Hah! fooled you then!!! I admit to not having tried any of the more recent, longer, blades. they look pretty good though. However, for the few times a year I get asked for lessons on them mine will just have to carry on .... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Perhaps they'll be worth something in a while? First generation, first year of manufacture etc.???
snow conditions
If yours are blue, they are the 2nd or 3rd gen Salomon ones. First gen ones were black, with a grey/silver edge to them.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I always thought the black & silver was the next model, but I expect you're right. Oh well - that's my fortune up the spout! wink wink wink
snow report
easiski, you could be right - I know that after the black ones came blue ones, then they went multi-coloured.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Mine are silver/white with blue edges and orange writing. I think I've had them for about 8-10 years (can't remember), but can distinctly remember thinking how smart I thought the black and silver were by comparison! Shock To be perfectly honest I couldn't really care less - they work fine when I need them, I occasionally wax them and do the edges (about once every 2 years) - on y va!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, you are such a trainspotter when it comes to gear!
ski holidays
Kramer, I had a pair of the black ones - got them before I first went to Breckenridge, which was 97, I think...
snow report
I just went to check in case I was going mad....

My boards (blades) are set up such that the middle of the boot is right over the middle of the board. Any skis which I can find kicking about the house, the binding is set somewhat back of centre so that the tip is much longer than the tail.....

Perhaps 'blades' has stuck in Europe due to lack of alternatives (as is the case in the US). However there are new companies (Loken for example) making skiboards..... any literature you find from such a company will not call their products blades because they would be infringing on the trademark of salomon!

Adam
snow conditions
buns, mine are assymetric, so the boot centre point is lined up with the binding centre. The actual centre of my skiboards is forward of that, just like on skis. But I agree with you - many people just move the binding adjusters to be able to get their boots in, and don't centre them properly.
snow report
Obviously im not anymore than an occasional skier..... but the skis in our house were bought as an intermediate binding/ski package.... the tip length is probably twice that of the tail! You simply couldnt be centred short of removing the binding and redrilling the skis..... is this not the case in most skis?

Adam
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy