Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - Saalbach, Obergurgl or Solden

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Thinking about doing a ski trip to Austria. Looking at Saalbach, Obergurgl or Solden as they seem good for a beginner and the Nightlife

My question is cost are they all the same for example hotels and lift passes and how easy is it to get last minute bargains to these place

(Obergurgl seems like you have to book in advance)

Thanks for the help and info
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
matt23, I would definetly rule out Obergurgl for nightlife it is very quiet and a lot more expensive than the other two as it is mostly 4 and 5 star hotels, it's also not actually that great for beginners. Solden the nightlife is buzzing and there is a wide range of accommodation to suit all budgets, it's okay for beginners not brilliant. Haven't been to Saalbach but on paper that would appear to be your best bet I'm sure someone else on here can fill you in on that one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you going with a Tour Operator or independent?

As a generalisation, Solden is not particularly well served by UK TOs, so late bargains if using a TO are more likely in Sallbach or Obergurgl.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, Going with T/O .Saalbach looks favourite just trying to find a place to stay that's near the centre and ski schools
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would agree Saalbach would suit your needs. Gives good all-round experience in terms of lots of skiing, nice village, nightlife, etc. Depending on the time of year you want to go and the number in your party, you also have a good chance of being able to negotiate a good deal there. Lots of accom options to suit all needs and budgets.

D
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never been to Saalback but from what I know, it will fit the bill. I know many people who've gone there as beginners and have had a great time!

Good luck with it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what time of year ? quite important consideration !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, was thinking January is this good?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The second week of Jan is always a good time... not very busy and normally cheaper.
It is pretty easy to go independent for Saalbach/Hinterglem.
Just look on the saalbach tourist office website and book accommodation!
Cheap(ish) flights to Salzburg...
Book a transfer (also from the tourist office website I think...).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
matt23, Jan should be good for all resorts, just asking because Sallbach skiing is from 1000 - 2000 meters and can be a bit low for early (Dec) or very late (April) season compared to the other two resorts which are from 1500 - 3000 + meters with glaciers too !! If Jan then maybe Sallbach is the better bet because the others will be a bit nippy at the higher altitudes (both at resort level and top lifts), although you do not need to go to the top lifts wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always love going to the top lifts and then walking up the rest of the way. Know where to stay in Sallbach?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tatman tours or something - he is a snowHead on here - try the search function (if you can master it) in the top left corner
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, thanks for that didn't think about that option. Have sent email for info. This place is the best for any info on skiing snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
matt23, you did well, I can never find anything when I search Blush

also look at the trip reports, people sometimes list their accommodation etc, and there are loads of Saalbach posts from last season too
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops wrote:
tatman tours or something - he is a snowHead on here - try the search function (if you can master it) in the top left corner

Here you go:

www.chaletatman.vpweb.co.uk

Cheers
snow conditions
matt23 wrote:
rayscoops, was thinking January is this good?

I've only spent one day in that area - which was last January when I skied with Espri and a couple of Canadians we had met. But we started from Leogang and skied over to Saalbach and back, so didn't see very much of Saalbach itself.

The snow was pretty good, all the way down to resort, and there seemed to be a decent beginner slope with an 8 man (covered and heated) chair serving it. This was 2nd week of January, but obviously what I experienced on a single day cannot give very much of a guide to what is normal.
ski holidays
Saalbach's a lovely village, ace apres, good nightlife, some of the best beginner slopes I've come across anywhere, lot's of good ski instructors. I usually do a few weeks work instructing for Furstauer Ski School in my Christmas holidays, and FWIW (in a very biased way lol) we/they have some excellent instructors. Snow should be perfecctly fine in Jan. If you get cheap flight to Salzburg, then a transfer is really easy (and quick) on either trains, busses or a combination.
ski holidays
rayscoops, and Kersh, Thanks for the recommendation! Always happy to be of help and already counting the days!
snow report
Quote:

a decent beginner slope with an 8 man (covered and heated) chair serving it.

snowHead snowHead snowHead sounds good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy