Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
What is Saalbach like for boarders?

Snow looks alright on paper according to average levels on the ski club website.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
croskemj wrote:
What is Saalbach like for boarders?

Snow looks alright on paper according to average levels on the ski club website.

You'll need to take a T-Bar if you travel between Saalbach and Hinterglemm on the sunny side of the mountain. There is the odd narrow run which might not appeal greatly to timid boarders. Though they have a bit of gradient and aren't normally mega busy, so most would be OK on them. Apart from that it's great and most boarders will love it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great place. I spent my second week snowboarding there and had no problems. As Lager, said there is one T bar hard to avoid if you want to do a circuit, but we did not bother and used a ski bus sometimes. The other lifts are very modern. Apres is out of this word and it is definitely the best resort I have been to. Nice long slopes and there aren't that many flat cat tracks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have done about 4 weeks boarding now so relatively confident, although always happy to avoid T bars - but who doesn't? There is a killer t-bar in Solden up the glacier that goes on for ever it seems!

I am now into finding little jumps to trip over Wink

We have some friends that thinking of coming so want them to catch the bug - anyone had experience of cheap accommodation near to slopes?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
croskemj,

There is some good off-piste too....
Also the park is flodlit and open till 9pm every night and is included on your pass...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Off-piste is a must although tempting wife to go there is bit more difficult. Even if it is just for the jumps into the softer snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it is good for boarders, and I am sure I read somewhere that the T-bar in question has (edit was going to be ?) been replaced. I fell of it the time I tried it, mainly because it is very long and very boring and starts to go down hill / flat which is a pain on a board

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 9-09-10 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
croskemj, this is the accommodation of a fellow snowHead Richard Tatman http://chaletatman.vpweb.co.uk/default.html
im pretty sure he does something like 10% discount for snowHead
located right near bottom of main slope right by a great apres bar. Find him on here by doing an author search something like *tatman* including the asterix then pm him. He is really helpful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, it is very long and boring, but the border cross course from the top made it an interesting trip down (with a few falls)

ianbradders, Thanks for that and already found Mr Tatman through Snowheads and emailing the gentleman. A font of knowledge it seems on Saalbach.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops wrote:
it is good for boarders, and I am sure I read somewhere that the T-bar in question has been replaced.

It was still there this year. I can't find any details of new lifts for 2010/11. The S-H website is still showing new lifts for 2009/10. Would improve matters if it was to be replaced (or even better an additional lift).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lager, It won't be replaced this year. The only lift they are building now is the new 8per gondola above the snowpark in Hinterglemm.

The replacements for old Bernkogel lifts must be quite a big project I think and that's why it is postponed every year.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 9-09-10 10:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lager, some one mentioned it was going to be replaced, not sure if that was over the summer or not. It would make sense and would be quite easy to pop a chair lift in, good access, shallow slope and obviously no large spans etc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom W, expensive for sure and maybe needs to be in stages (adds expense), but not technically difficult
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, But why they have invested in 6 person chair for beginners last year and now they building brand new gondola only half way up the mountain to serve snow park and one run.

Surely they must have some reasons as the Bernkogel seems obvious as weakes link in the circus.

I think they are not sure how to solve the lifts on this mountain. There are at leat 3 lifts in question and not ideal flat run along the T-bars.
Who knows but maybe they will re-plan the whole top of the Bernkogel and create new pistes and completely new lift layout.
This might be the cause of the delay.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 9-09-10 11:21; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
whilst T-bars aren't exactly fun they wouldnt stop me from going on a good run. much less going to a resort.
ski holidays
Tom W, Could be loads of reasons I suppose, environmental in getting up to it, internal budgets (is it Sallbach or Hinterglemm?), no real commercial aspect to it for cafes etc., land ownership issues perhaps even. It is a very long drag lift though so maybe they are giving other areas priority, especially as it is at the edge of the resorts and is only really a link lift for the two resorts.

Maybe there are high winds on that face and an 'at ground' lift is a bit more shletered, but I doubt it really.

Just guessing but when you look at other high chair lifts going over vertical cliff drops etc then this location seems a doddle really in comparison ?
latest report
boardiac, I have avoided them like the plague for 5 years and would rather do the Swiss Wall or Tortins bumps than a drag, but last season I started doing a few more and they are not so bad really. If the only access to Symphony, Harmony and Seventh Heaven in Whistler was via a drag I would make sure I could do them one handed with my eyes shut with both feet out of the bindings Laughing
snow report
They can simply be tiring and clearly more so for boarders than skiers because they are not designed for us. I agree with boardiac, that they won't stop me exploring a run. Just the way it is and have to get on with it.
snow conditions
rayscoops, It occurred to me last year that if/when they upgrade the lifts up the Bernkogel, it's going to create one hell of a bottle-neck at the bottom of the Reiterkogel Ost 2-seater chair (already prone to queues during peak times), so that would need to be upgraded as well.
ianbradders, Thanks for the recommendation!
latest report
As a Mono skier i am not a fan of riding drag lifts of any kind.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy