Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the minimum age you can bring a baby on a ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
ballyhoo, you sound very well organised! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're in exactly the same situ as you monkey, due mid-Feb (cr@p planning, or rather completely not planning at all and being rather surprised Embarassed !), first time parents, and at the moment we're mentally writing off next season, unless sprog comes along bang on time or even a bit early, and we all feel fine and are managing with zen-like calmness, in which case we'll zip off end of March. But probably to our own place so not needing much pre-booking etc.

I wouldn't want to shell out cash to book anything early, as I don't know how we're going to feel, I might have a nightmare baby, or end up having to have a C-section etc. in which case everything is a bit more complicated. If everything goes swimmingly then I can't see why we won't be going late March, but I think if we book things and assume we are going, it might become a stressful thing if things aren't going well and we have to decide not to go.

FWIW, I would be planning to go mid-March (and maybe booking flights) if I was due Jan.

Only missing one year though, will be back 2012 with army of babysitting grandparents!

BTW as per whoever it was who said above, don't ask on mumsnet. Lovely and helpful though they can be, there are a lot of neurotic parents there, and Mums who can't imagine being parted from sprog for even an hour or two, so I don't think you'll get very balanced opinions there. There were a lot of shocked po-faced people when I revealed that my sister had left her 9 month old for 5 days (with her own father!) to come skiing, and when they both came skiing this year (daughter being 1 yr 9 months) and left daughter in the obviously incapable and neglectful hands of the grandparents. There was even no small amount of shock at the person who was mulling over the idea of leaving a 6yr old with GPs for 3 days. I would say the people here are more likely to be balanced, as we all understand the need to ski! Seriously though, I think people who don't ski see it as a dangerous and extravagant thing to do, which should be forfeit when one is to become a sensible parent. People here have had kids, skied, and lived to tell the tale.

D
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deliaskis, congratulations Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lou, no-
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There was even no small amount of shock at the person who was mulling over the idea of leaving a 6yr old with GPs for 3 days.

Madness. My daughter and SiL are wondering how soon they can send offspring (currently 7 months) as an "unaccompanied minor" to Geneva so she can spend more time skiing than they can afford.

Same 7 month old had a "Sunday sleepover" with me last night, as I was due to look after her today (daughter teaching) and it was a pretty frantic evening for her parents, both teachers, preparing for an early Monday start. Baby had a couple of very bad nights this week with a snuffly cold, and they needed a good night's sleep. Ella was fine, really happy, mumbled and grumbled a few times in the night (needed dummy plugging back in - Mumsnet probably don't think much of that either) then had a lovely happy day. We both enjoyed it enormously and her mother was delighted to have her back at 1630.

This is the only one of 4 grand-children to whom we live close enough for bits of last minute baby sitting - 25 minutes walk along the seafront. So we know here really well and are perfectly capable of taking care of her now and then, if not to mumsnet standards.

deliaskis - great news, congratulations (if not on the timing!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis, Massive congratulations. Btw, it's never to early to buy equipment. My son had salopettes and jacket before he was born! Very Happy

When mine was 3 weeks old we went out on the bevvies - it was absolutely wonderful! MN would NOT approve! wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Woah, I'm simply amazed by the number of people that would quite happily take a baby to a 'holiday' hotel being shared with other guests you don't know.

BTW, I know this is snowheads, but why not consider Aviemore - no flight, no airport wait, no high altitude, Tescos down the road, less chance of meeting Europeans that think your crazy for bringing your kids etc etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Esco, not entirely sure what point you're making? Are you meant to go under self-imposed house arrest until children are old enough to either particpate in polite conversation in a hotel lobby and/or kick a stranger in the shins if they act inappropriately near them?

In my experience Europeans are a pretty chilled bunch when it comes to taking kids into all kinds of different kinds of environments.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Esco, children are allowed to leave the home you know. Mine is always out and about in cafes & restaurants. *clutches pearls* One day in the future I fear I may have to send him to school with children he doesn't know! *rends cloth*

FYI - I'm taking my baby to a Mark Warner chalet (nanny provided) and driving to Austria. Are babies now banned from cars?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ctskifam wrote:

In my experience Europeans are a pretty chilled bunch when it comes to taking kids into all kinds of different kinds of environments.

Quite. I believe the French founded Club Med - I once spent an evening I'll never get back with 200 children singing Venga Boyz tunes in a hotel in Lenzerheide. Sad wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
monkey, my eldest was born in early dec and we went away in feb, we took MIL, its not impossible but you wont be spending hours on the slopes, what we did was take it in turns between the 3 of us to look after baby 1 hour at a time each.

Quick tip for bottles, we took throw away bottles(from Boots) saves with the faff and the messing about sterilizing bottles etc also you can get single carton of SMA milk pre-made.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Esco, You Doughnut - this is Snowheads - all offspring from posters on here are perfect, you are mistaking them with all the other children you happen across whilst on holiday
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"business trip" to morzine now planned with the lads. Mrs Monkey and I will have a think in April ish to see what the lie of the land is.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alexandra, you remind me of the hilarious sight of the under-6's apres ski disco in Koenigsleiten last year. It was really hilarious. There was dancing in ski boots, the whole Austrian apres bit.

D
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

why not consider Aviemore - no flight, no airport wait, no high altitude, Tescos down the road, less chance of meeting Europeans that think your crazy for bringing your kids etc etc.

Puzzled various reasons why not. Tends to be wetter, blowier, less sunny, far fewer kids facilities, far less reliable snow and if you live on the south coast of England, not really much cheaper. Plus anybody who thinks Europeans regard it as odd to take children on ski holidays has presumably never been to Europe.

And yes, I have skied at Aviemore.
latest report
Esco, I live in Switzerland - are you suggesting I take my baby to Scotland for my skiing holiday next year? wink

Actually one thing that living here has shown me is that Europeans are generally more family & pet friendly than the UK ever is or likely to be. We've taken our 11 week old and our dog to loads of restaurants and no-one bats an eyelid, in fact quite the opposite, they usually make a big fuss over the baby and pooch.

That being said, we have booked a week in a British run chalet in France, but as it is all friends that are going to be there (with at least one other baby) it shouldn't be an issue.
ski holidays
Seems to me a number of people have missed the irony in Escos post...
snow report
JimW, he could have at least posted a

Toofy Grin or Twisted Evil

for us simple folks wink
snow report
we looked at Aviemore when our first child was born- but as PamW says; as expensive, less facilities, time to get there - about the same- why bother!

Now- Yad Moss with a small child- that is another story altogether.
snow report
Congrats on the new babies all - mind if I join the gang as am also due early-Feb Very Happy

Deliaskis - you talk of Koenigsleiten...we were there last Easter with with our 18-month old - her 3rd ski trip, the first being when she was 13 weeks Shock . Planning on going back next year for a late season fix with babe in arms AND naughty 2 year-old snowHead

Ski-ing with a baby is entirely possible - whether you think you can do it or think you can't, either way you're right. Takes a bit of organisation, granted, but seeing as they have babies out in the Alps too I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a whirl.
latest report
Snow Joke, KL's quite q good place for hols with kids I would think. Snowy rather than wet, quiet village with space for playing in the snow etc. No problems with loud nightlife etc. Family orientated and good place for first forays onto skis when they're a bit older. Although the kids thing didn't apply to us when we were there, we liked it, would definitely go back.

D
snow report
Quote:

whether you think you can do it or think you can't, either way you're right.

Snow Joke, got it in one! snowHead
snow report
I have row F stalls tickets for Cosi Fan Tutti at the ROH next week. I wonder what mumsnet would say about me taking a 6 month baby along?
snow conditions
bar shaker, they'd point out that the theory of the positive "Mozart effect" on babies' brains was debunked long ago and suggest she'd prefer to go and feed the ducks.
ski holidays
There would be a rousing chorus of "won't somebody think of the children?" and some hand wringing.
latest report
I can't help the OP with medical advice (although my gut feeling is that a new mum & her tiny baby should be at home) but I'm glad I've finally worked out that Mr Technique and [b]Paulio[/] are apparently one and the same.
latest report
Red Leon wrote:
I can't help the OP with medical advice (although my gut feeling is that a new mum & her tiny baby should be at home) but I'm glad I've finally worked out that Mr Technique and [b]Paulio[/] are apparently one and the same.

Ahem - if you think new mum and baby should be at home new Dad obviously needs to be there too.
latest report
Why should a new baby miss out on a holiday?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowymum, Agreed. Embarassed

Ghost Dog, Baby won't know whether it's there or not.
latest report
Quote:

if you think new mum and baby should be at home new Dad obviously needs to be there too

Abso-sodding-lutely. But 6 weeks isn't that tiny andif it's an easy baby, will be an easier travelling companion then than for many years hence. Needs only milk, doesn't get covered in puree three times a day, needs no toys, can't run away, light and easy to carry.
snow report
pam w, our paediatrician said much the same thing - they're very portable at that age and jabs won't be an issue (not that you need them in the Alps anyway apart from tetanus in case you're licked by a friendly St Bernard) as her Mum's immune system is still having an effect.
snow conditions
You could always hire a maternity nurse/ temp nanny. Maternity nurses are used to being on duty 24 hours a day, 6 days a week so you could have a very relaxing holiday, and if the baby is formula fed you wouldn't even have to worry about the logistics associated with breastfeeding.
snow report
I took my youngest for a big family Christmas holiday to Centre Parcs in the Lake District at four weeks old. Logistically it should have been a nightmare, pack for four for a week, all the Christmas prezzies - for two kids and about 20 family members, all the baby paraphernalia and a Christmas cake. Think we actually sent some prezzies up with my Dad and took both our cars. It was a great week. Lots of family to take turns giving cuddles.
latest report
skinanny, You could - but I don't think I could have contemplated having someone else sorting out any of my babies 24 hours a day - a big family party as described by Shimmy Alcott sounds a better bet. I'd be happy to have someone take over some housework and washing up (and when baby 3 was born in Barbados I had exactly that) but all the rest of it, doing the actual baby bit, is a pretty important part of the "getting to know you process". I reckon if you can't manage to take a small baby away for a week without a maternity nurse it would be better to stay at home! I do recognise that some babies are little sods, and some mothers might be unwell (though after my first delivery with third degree sutures I wasn't exactly dancing a jig) but most mothers, with good support from partners (and preferably some grandparents) should be able to cope with most babies.

I suppose I don't come from the sort of background where people have nannies.
snow conditions
pam w, I know I don't come from the sort of background where people have nannies, and I'm also starting to believe that if you can't manage your kids without around the clock help then you shouldn't have kids, but I had to suggest it! snowHead Otherwise I'd be out of work! You'd be surprised at some of the things I've seen!
snow conditions
Quote:

You'd be surprised at some of the things I've seen!

Yes, I probably would! It's amazing really that most kids survive. It must be hard sometimes moving on from a job when you have become the main carer for little ones. Harder for the little ones themselves, of course.
snow conditions
Erm... why shouldn't someone with a 6 week old baby go on holiday? Babies mostly sleep you know. Wtf are you supposed to do? Just sit there and stare at them?

I love my son very much, but there is far more to life than gazing at him!
latest report
Alexandra, absolutely. But most of us manage without a 24 hour maternity nurse!
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
Why should a new baby miss out on a holiday?

How would it know it had missed out?
ski holidays
Quote:

How would it know it had missed out?

It would know because its mother was weeping and wailing and gnashing her teeth and her milk had turned thin, sour and lacking in nourishment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy