Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot purchase/fitting...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's my partner's birthday coming up, and I am thinking of getting him some ski boots which I would want him to choose and get some good advice on, and then get them fitted by someone who really knows what they are doing, as although I know little I know this is important. However I have no idea how much the fitting would cost, and whether I would need to get him to pay for some of it Embarassed in order to get him a decent pair of boots.

So I guess I have a few questions - how much am I looking to spend on a pair of decent, but not expensive, boots, (he is a competent skier who doesn't ski off piste, mostly skis reds and blacks unless he's with me) do you think? I appreciate this is a vague question but I know very little about them and what inexpensive might be and what might be just downright cheap rubbish....

A rough price for getting them fitted? And ideal where we can buy them or near somewhere to buy them where we can get good advice? We are in the Midlands and I'd like to do it on a Saturday if possible.

Many thanks for any information you could give.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks DB.
The prices on there give me an 1/2 hourly rate for fitting, how long does it usually take? I thought it took around 4+ hours in which case, yikes...

(there are no prices for the boots either, but the first I've googled in the Atomic range seems to be around £250, is that a good price/boot? )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NSB1977,

It's like buying a suit, some people have a typical bodyshape and can buy off the shelf / peg others require a lot of fitting work. A suit can be good quality but unsuitable if it doesn't fit. A badly fitting suit doesn't normaly adversly affect performance or hurt unlike a ski boot.

Best to visit Solutions4feet and see what they have to say.
CEM (Colin) from Solutions4feet posts here on snowheads.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=13071
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. Yeah, I get that, though a rough idea is obviously necessary for budget purposes. I will ring them and see what they say in terms of time fitting them. They must have a rough idea of length of time to be fitted and they can give me prices of boots too.

Anywhere else to try?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NSB1977 wrote:
Anywhere else to try?

I don't know of anyone nearer to you who is as well respected as Solutions4feet. Unlike a suit, ski boots can have performance issues that only come to light once used. Having them fitted in a resort is another possibility.

Why not give your other half a mock gift certificate for a certain amount towards the ski boots & fitting? If the fitting looks to be very expensive (I think this can only be determined after a visit to the bootfitter) he can decide to make up the rest or opt for something else.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NSB1977, Lockwoods in Leamington Spa are pretty good too and closer www.lockwoods.com
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NSB1977, Colin at Solutions4feet sorted me out with new boots last October - I parted with something over £500 - that was for Zipfit liners which worked out at a bit more than the boots themselves - but they were excellent and I skied in them all winter with no probs. You will need to make an appointment if you do go down to see Colin and allow plenty of time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Pam. I'd actually rung Colin and got a good idea of prices now and made an appointment - turns out the fitting is fixed price when you buy them from there, got a price for liners and maximum cost for the boots, so I know pretty much exactly my maximum total. Thanks all for your help, I'll let you know how we get on next month and then again when OH has skied in the boots snowHead He's going to be chuffed, so it'll be worth the money. Just need to go and earn it now and stop looking at ski holidays rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NSB1977, just posting in this thread to say you are a great girlfriend / wife. Hope your partner enjoys the gift...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Parlor, hopefully he will agree (though maybe not when he gets no Christmas presents as a result!) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy him socks to match for Christmas, or only give him one boot for his birthday and save the other for Christmas Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very Happy Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
Buy him socks to match for Christmas, or only give him one boot for his birthday and save the other for Christmas Wink

Would definitely improve his skiing if he can manage to ski one-legged throughout the compulsory early season ski weekend... Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy